Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear PFD's while float hunting ????

Unhappy Do you wear PFD's while float hunting ????

Another sad day for two on Johnson lake .
    Looks like they turned over their canoe and both drowned while their life jackets float away !!!

I just do not get it at all . They have their life jackets in the craft but do not wear them.

When I am on my hunting trips/floats there is not a time while on the river that I do not have it on and that goes for anyone on my raft , no exceptions at all .If your on the water you wear a life jacket period !!!!!

A couple years ago while on a 10 day float my hunting partner would not wear his life jacket although he had his own rented PP and not on mine .
    He said it was not deep enough to wear one , his choice . I bet his wife and three kids would not of liked the idea that he was on a fast moving cold brooks range river with out his life vest .
    He did like how soft it was as a seat cushion .

My question do you as float hunters wear a PFD while on the river ???

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default PFD

Short answer - Nope - and I know I should. Just don't wear it when float hunting out of our Leopard cataraft. I suppose that someday I'll regret this decision - especially at my age but - I'm too much like most others.

Since most of my floats are solo I ALWAYS wear mine + my "Bat-belt" which includes an ACR GPS-PLB, survival kit, knife, sidearm, flashlight etc. Trust me when I tell you that, shtuff happens, in seconds with little or no time to react. If others are with me I still wear my gear. I have a lot of time invested in trying different configurations, and have tweaked my "belt" over the years.
    I suggest others do the same.

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

Fact is, wearing a quality life vest that is properly fitted, ya generally can't sink (without something like a foot entrapment).
    Breathing air into your lungs is better than respirating water.

As for seat cushions, I got them also, and they float also.

99 percent of the time I wear mine. My clients wear theirs 100 percent of the time while in my rafts.

And as e45colt said, on solo floats it never comes off, except when sleeping.

dennis

Eagle River, Alaska, United States, 108264132534659, Eagle River, Alaska

When I'm floating I'm wearing one.

People need to spend real money on a quality vest and they'd be comfortable wearing one all the time. Use one of those $35 Stearns vests and they rapidly become a nuisance. A good Kokatat white water vest with a knife and emergency fire starter attached goes on me every time I get in the water. Unfortunately, I haven't been on the water in years
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My partner can't swim a lick, he wears an inflatable PFD. I have one at hand but generally don't wear it. I do respect the water and will put it on before we go thru rapids. I know, I should wear it all the time.

I've never taken a float trip, but this fall 4 of us will be doing a 15 day float and we've decided upfront that we'll all wear the pfd's so we don't spoil the trip for anyone.

I wear the floation coat. It's not to bulky and it replaces my org. coat til i get to my place on the river. Its waterproof and windproof, better than a vest.

jwolf

Well, instead of 99% lets make that 100!

Kenai dipneting by boat this year...buddy netted a snag, hipchecked me out of the boat. No vest on; very lucky it was just a cold swim without damage to self but pride.

New rules - everyone wears them.

ALWAYS-ALWAYS!!! the newer quality ones fit like a pile vest, and keeps you body core warm, even in the boat. Its a one shot deal!! especially in our very cold water! You would have to be a fool or have a death wish not to!
    Just my thoughts, from an old river guide that has done a lot of unintended swims over the last 30 yrs. --or so.

My wife is on my @ss if I don't put my lifejacket on in the raft. As a result we wear ours,and I do feel that it provides a great deal of safety. I don't so much wear mine for just falling out of the raft; I wear it because of the unexpected situations and what might happen. Last year we had a Grizzly come charging out after us, but it thankfully stopped at the waters edge. The water was shallow only a foot deep between the griz and us, but had he reached the raft there's no telling how much the raft would get pushed and into what depth of water? A life jacket should always be worn in the raft IMHO.

WhiteFish

Default yup

Always. I have a good quality white water PFD with survival gear in the pockets that fits great. It really helps keep you warm as well. The low shoulder straps allow you to shoot while it is on.
    I took a last minute float hunt with a stranger from outside once. When we got river side he announced he did not believe in PFDs and had not brought one. I had assumed it was required gear and had not asked. I figured he was on his own if he got in trouble. Half way down river he got snagged on the cat while pulling us on to a bar and was dragged in over his boots. Without any flotation he panicked and shoved the raft (and me) violently away to break loose. This shoved me directly into the whole tree across the channel sweeper that was the reason to pull over in the first place. Not a fun ride, but the moose rack strapped to the front of the cat gave me just enough room to duck and the hydraulics shoved the entire full cat under. I was within millimeters of snapping a leg. My partner meanwhile had jogged down the bar to catch up.
    Never again, its pfds for all on my trips

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]... and the hydraulics shoved the entire full cat under...
    Wow. The power of even slow-moving water amazes me. And happened quick it sounds like?

There are so many good PFD options nowadays. I agree with others that finding one that works for you - fit and function wise - helps.

I figure my kids will wear them too if they see me wearing mine, or pictures of me in one. Other rafters probably more likely to wear theirs as they see more being worn. Live to float another day.

Default My Experiences

Glad to hear from all the safe hunt/floaters. I guess I'm the only one who will post an admission of guilt on the forum.

However, there is a whole other side to this issue. I've only floated 4 different rivers (some more than once) but I've probably seen 20 or so other float hunters as well as some being guided on jet boats. I'm still waiting to see my FIRST person with a PFD on.

So, there are still plenty who do not wear PFDs while floating.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Glad to hear from all the safe hunt/floaters. I guess I'm the only one who will post an admission of guilt on the forum.

However, there is a whole other side to this issue. I've only floated 4 different rivers (some more than once) but I've probably seen 20 or so other float hunters as well as some being guided on jet boats. I'm still waiting to see my FIRST person with a PFD on.

So, there are still plenty who do not wear PFDs while floating.
    yes there are many that don't and some like the guy on the kenai this week that I bet he wishes he had a PFD. Like a friend always says it may not save your ***** but at least the family has closer.

ALWAYS. About 13 years ago I almost got tossed out of my raft in the canyon of the Kenai. I was alone, not wearing a life vest, and being very stupid. Had I ended up in the drink I am almost certain that I would have died. From that moment on I wear a life vest while floating. I always had it, now I always have it on.

No, I am ashamed to say, but the jackets I have are very uncomfortable and binding. I have a airboat and not a raft, and consider the airboat more dangerous then a raft. However, things are changing. I have just ordered from Mustang, a pair of camo automatic inflatable suspender type pfd's and it is my intention to wear them 100% of the time. Reports read that the mustang inflatables are more comfortable with less binding around the neck then other brands, also 35 lb boyancy rather then 25 of most others. Bud

I've rarely worn them in the past... Always required kids to have them on. Pretty sobering read here. I believe Mark Twain said it was better to be careful 100 times than die once. I think I'll start wearing mine. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast