Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Salmon Shark fishing

Default PWS Salmon Shark fishing

Has anyone fished for Salmon Shark recently in the Valdez/Cordova PWS area? Heading down there this weekend. Guessing the pinks are thick?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Tim
    Quick, make another post Devil Boy!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Has anyone fished for Salmon Shark recently in the Valdez/Cordova PWS area? Heading down there this weekend. Guessing the pinks are thick?
    Went last week Wednesday thru Saturday and struck out. The pinks are thick but all in Valdez Arm. Found some Pinks out near Sawmill Bay, but little to no Pinks further south. Spotted maybe 2 sharks (maybe small whale) on the sonar but found no sharks chasing salmon on the surface and we hunted hard. Normally we can find a few sleeping but none were to be found. Did not see any make the dock the whole week we were down there. Couple of the charter guys were talking about cancelling their shark trips because of slow to no fish.

The whales were VERY thick. Seen a large pod of Orcas, maybe as many 15 but they were moving south fast. Humpbacks were everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter_016 View Post
    tim
    quick, make another post devil boy!!!!!

holy crap! Thanks drifter 016....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Went last week Wednesday thru Saturday and struck out. The pinks are thick but all in Valdez Arm. Found some Pinks out near Sawmill Bay, but little to no Pinks further south. Spotted maybe 2 sharks (maybe small whale) on the sonar but found no sharks chasing salmon on the surface and we hunted hard. Normally we can find a few sleeping but none were to be found. Did not see any make the dock the whole week we were down there. Couple of the charter guys were talking about cancelling their shark trips because of slow to no fish.

The whales were VERY thick. Seen a large pod of Orcas, maybe as many 15 but they were moving south fast. Humpbacks were everywhere.
    Thanks for the report. Hmmm...I just put a call into Dan Eames to see what he has up his sleeve. I don't need anymore shows sponsored by PETA I know a few bays that put out before so I'll poke around to get Intel on them. I'm guessing whales are out of season?

Thanks for the report. Hmmm...I just put a call into Dan Eames to see what he has up his sleeve. I don't need anymore shows sponsored by PETA I know a few bays that put out before so I'll poke around to get Intel on them. I'm guessing whales are out of season?
    Dan has got you hooked for the show. Don't ask me how I know.

Here is something cool my Dad and I came across in PWS, got some of it on video. Stellar Sea Lion killed (I presume) and was eating a salmon shark. Don't see that every day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1PzzvxN4A
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

That's something you don't see every day...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I've seen that battle go the other way. didn't someone post a pic last year of a sea lion carrying a salmon shark in it's mouth.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    I've seen that battle go the other way. didn't someone post a pic last year of a sea lion carrying a salmon shark in it's mouth.
    Yeah that was me and it was a fuzzy pic from a long ways away, it was throwing it in the air, but I just came across the video the other day.

That would have to be a pretty small or injured shark or maybe ambush of a sleeping shark. Salmon sharks are some of the fastest predators in the ocean. I have heard in excess of 35 mph when running up from the deep thru the salmon schools.

I will admit that was a good sized Sea Lion but not a full sized shark. I wonder if the Orcas had a crack at the shark before the Sea Lion. One of the reasons I think we did not see sharks on our trip was because of the amount of Orcas cruising the Eastern PWS. Seen a good shark bite go totally bust when a Pod came thru the entrance last year.

Yeah it was unique.
    I talked to someone about salmon shark fishing up here and he said that once you catch one it's kind of addicting, and sometimes salmon seem kind of boring after that. True?

Salmon shark fishing is no doubt unique. In 2005 we filmed our pilot episode fly fishing for them with Jim Teeny and had a blast. This time its full on heavy metal/bait. I think for sport its something worth trying once but if it wasn't for filming another episode I wouldn't be doing it a second time. Heading down today. Should I drive or fly ? Can't decide.

I remember reading an article back around 2005 about some guys flyfishing salmon sharks. Pretty interesting stuff. Was that part of your group?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Yeah it was unique.
    I talked to someone about salmon shark fishing up here and he said that once you catch one it's kind of addicting, and sometimes salmon seem kind of boring after that. True?
    This is my 5th year and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

tdelarm,
    I would drive the weather has been unpredicatable over there. I can't wait to hear what Dan found for you guys.

Went on a charter for Salmon Shark yesterday out of Cordova, struck out. The pinks are not in the sound very thick yet, the captain said they have been showing up later and later the last few years. We had alot of fun though, will definitely give it another try next year. Good luck on your trip, hopefully you are luckier than we were!!!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I got reports of them out across the bay here in Old Harbor and then some firends and family said one was following them while they kayaked, I went out and trolled up 3, drag was set at 25 pounds. the first shark was great it surfaced and thrashed, but when I got it to the boat I let the line hit the side of the boat and it snapped. the second one was a sounder, and it snapped a 150# cable at the hook. THe 3rd one I backed off the drag to about 22#s and landed it in 15 minutes, we trolled down to 50ft in 70-90 ft of water. I used a whole herring we jigged up and ran it down on the downrigger.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I remember reading an article back around 2005 about some guys flyfishing salmon sharks. Pretty interesting stuff. Was that part of your group?
    Not sure. We were not the guys on the Kayaks that's for sure.

I drove down, flight would have been $356 OUCH! Glad I drove, came back a day early. Got skunked! No sharks. Didn't even see one jumper. Too early? I would have thought we'd be too late go figure. WX was CRAPPY! Looks like summer is going to blow by us this year. Caught an octopus though.

Went on a charter for Salmon Shark yesterday out of Cordova, struck out. The pinks are not in the sound very thick yet, the captain said they have been showing up later and later the last few years. We had alot of fun though, will definitely give it another try next year. Good luck on your trip, hopefully you are luckier than we were!!!
    Who was your charter? I didn't think there was any charters in Cordova besides Steve Ranneys operation.

Not sure. We were not the guys on the Kayaks that's for sure.

I drove down, flight would have been $356 OUCH! Glad I drove, came back a day early. Got skunked! No sharks. Didn't even see one jumper. Too early? I would have thought we'd be too late go figure. WX was CRAPPY! Looks like summer is going to blow by us this year. Caught an octopus though.
    Well just goes to show they don't stick around long after they are found. We got skunked when on our trip but located some the following day as did Dan. He hooked up we didn't. Thought for sure I was going to see a great show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast