Thread: Unit 23 Pilot Orientation Quiz

Thumbs down Unit 23 Pilot Orientation Quiz

Just finished the Quiz. Here is a link if anyone else wants to do it.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...it23pilot.main

FYI...........You need to pass this quiz and have the certificate on your person if you will transport game animal parts in unit 23 between non state maintained airstrips/landing places. In other words..........off airport ops.
    There is a short course you read thru, then take the quiz. Fairly easy really. I would recommend having 2 browser windows open. You can read thru the course and start the quiz in one window, then use the other window/tab to read thru as you answer questions. I didn't try this but assume it will work. You have to get 22 out of 24 right to pass.

I am not sure that identifying a certain user group, in this case pilots, as a problem is proper wildlife management by a public entity. Why pilots/airplanes? Do other users, boaters, snogo, ATV, have a preference when out in the field? There are plenty of aircraft owners/users in unit 23. Doesn't matter where you live..........all pilots operating off airport have to comply.

I see opportunity to carry this idea into other parts of the state and to other users. I especially see ATV users as the next target in some parts of Alaska.
    All users of our state lands, public and private, hunting and non hunting, should be respectful of other users. Perhaps everyone who wishes to step off a state maintained road should pass a little orientation quiz to be trained in how to respect other users!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

So did you pass?

Yea, I passed, now all I need is an airplane

I love the Noatak CUA dates and exceptions for those that are not hunting.
    I wonder how many "groups" will have access to this new data base? Or put another way, if somone does take this "test" will we now have a precendent of non-ignorance if a trespass is commited and it goes to court with a private party (Native Corp, etc.)?

So far I'm 0 for 10, chisana.................but I'll keep trying!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    Yea, I passed, now all I need is an airplane
    Heck yeah... me too! I didn't even bother reading any of the information beforehand. Just went in cold turkey.

Cert#2896
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

People on ATVs, snowmachines and in Boats dont buzz camps, fly repetedly in circles above animals spooking them and nobodys gonna spook/move"Herding" 1,000+ Caribou at a time with water/ground vehicles.
    There was a big problem a few years back with an outfit that use its planes and drove Caribou tward their clients, as well as turning back groups of Caribou that were headed down established paths that local hunters were waiting on.
    Caribou follow paths set by the "Lead" cows, and turning back those cows withrepeted low leve flights had the Caribou heading off in different direction.
    All this is old, well known info with the culprits taken care of, but a lingering 'bad' feeling about aircraft misuse by guides for their clients sake.

No good comes of any of it.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....