Thread: Halibut and Crab in Ketchikan in September

Default Halibut and Crab in Ketchikan in September

I will be heading up to Ketchikan in early September and am looking for a little help with where to find decent crabbing and halibut fishing. We were up last year and are coming again from Sept 4-12. We are staying at a house near Moser Bay and while we figured out the salmon fishing pretty well, we were skunked on crab and halibut. Can anyone offer up a little better idea of where we might start our exploring? Last year we tried for crab on the East side of Moser Bay and in some of the Bay on the South side. For Halibut we were on the back side and north of Stack and Moser Islands.

Most of our time Salmon fishing was spent on the back side of Grant Island, though we also went out to Tatoosh as did very well one day, so would obviously prefer to stay as close as possible to that general area.

We were trying to target the drop offs of shelfs for Halibut, but honestly did not feel like we had the slightest idea what we were doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Pieter

Default Not any help, but could use yours

I'm going to be in Ketchikan in a little over a week, renting some skiffs and taking some kids fishing. Can you give me a heads up on your most successful technique for salmon?

Also, did you catch other bottom fish while trying for halibut? Our kids I'm sure would love to catch halibut and salmon, but if it's slow, I think anything that will do.

Thanks for the help.

Default a little help

When we were there, we were targeting coho. The best technique for us was slow trolling cut plug herring, and keeping it simple. 5-6 oz. banana weight then 30" back to a cut plug herring on a mooching rig. We used the downriggers some, but that became a mess more often than not. We also tried hoochies and herring with flashers, but the straight herring seemed to be the ticket. The overwhelming input seemed to be KEEP IT SIMPLE! We caught a few rockfish by mistake, but that was it.

Hope this helps.