Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Back To Anchorage

Default Driving Back To Anchorage

Sunday around 12pm I was driving back to Anchorage along with 100's of other people. I had a trooper behind me since I left Sterling. Going up the hill getting into Cooper Landing and a Black suv comes flyin by trying to pass 15 cars. Needless to say the trooper turned the lights on and 5 miles down the road mr. black suv was pulled over. Then in Cooper Landing a blue truck with a blue boat did the same thing and was passing in no passing zones and in the 35 mph area. Mr. blue truck musta really been later for something. But guess who I saw at the T stop....Mr. Blue truck 4 cars ahead of me. Really?? Is it really worth getting to your destination 10 minutes faster. Thank goodness there has not been a fatality yet. Please just take your time and expect long lines of traffic, leave earlier if you have to. It's not worth risking someone else's life!!
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Well said! It blows my mind everytime I see someone fly by me just to be stuck in the same line of traffic, going the same speed, 5 vehicles in front of me. It's just hard to believe anyone can think saving 5 minutes is worth risking their life or someone else's life.

Stay alert out there and be safe!!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

good posts guys! I'll pass some RV's on occasion but only when its legal and its EXTREMELY safe.
    I cant even imagine in what type of desperate situation I would have to be in, to risk my life or someone elses.
    What? Your show is on at 8? You're really hungry and you're ready for supper?

Seriously. I respect my life, and the life of others. Take it easy out there.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Kudos to the troopers this year, they have been doing a good job on the highways. I actually had a trooper pullover a vehicle in front of me memorial day weekend that was going below the speed limit. That was the first time I have ever seen that done.

On my way to Whittier Friday afternoon a crash test dummy on a motorcycle was flying down the road going probably over 100 mph. I'm not so concerned that he'll kill himself as I am that he'll kill someone else. Pretty much how I feel about anyone who puts everyone's life in danger. Always glad to see troopers on the roads.

Excellent thread! Don't forget about driving fatigue. If you even fell remotely drowsy PULL OVER! I know when I'm coming home from Whittier my eyes have gotten heavy. I don't fiddle w/ it I pull over ASAP. Splash my face, run around the truck, whatever.

4th of July weekend, I was in a row of cars heading towards Homer, outside of Soldotna.. Last one in a line of 10 +/-, it was about 10:30 PM (dusky). Went by a trooper who was in a pullout in that recent construction area and he whipped out right behind me.. I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, but after a while noticed that the car in front of me (grey sedan) didnt have his/her lights on. So it was about 6 miles down the road when the cop flips his lights on, I pull over slow and he went right by me and pulled that guy over.. So they are being extra cautious of driving conditions and drivers behavior.. so be careful.

I love to see them busted! It is cathartic.

Another bunch I'd like to see them bust also is the inconsiderate RV drivers who build up more than five cars behind them. They create angst which leads to idiots doing dangerous things. Many RV drivers from outside don't see to know about the law, so a few signs here and there might be a good reminder.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Pet Peeves
    We all have em.I have been driving professionally (read that I get paid to)for 40 years and I've seen a lot of stupid things done on the road.Some things get me more upset than others as I'm sure they do you.The best advice I can offer is to take your time,be careful what you do,and watch out for the "other guy".Adjust your driving to the conditions around you and be aware that there are many un-educated,inconsiderate,"it's all about me" people on the road with you.Drive accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I love to see them busted! It is cathartic.

Another bunch I'd like to see them bust also is the inconsiderate RV drivers who build up more than five cars behind them. They create angst which leads to idiots doing dangerous things. Many RV drivers from outside don't see to know about the law, so a few signs here and there might be a good reminder.
    I agree 100% except for more signs. The only fix is tickets and more tickets. I have been behind drivers going 40 mph from Sterling through RR area. Honked before every sign about turnout and delay of five vehicles. Like everyone else I have seen some crazy people passing but will guess that 60-70% of those people would be more careful if slower driver kept the speed limit and used turnouts

Heck the other day a tourist bus STOPPED on th way to girdwood. You know fully justified as there were some sheepskin next to the road.... This is supposedly a professional driver couldn't believe it

Here is a question I never seem to get a good answer for, and there probably isn't one. If you are going the maximum speed limit and are holding more than five cars up are you obligated to pull over at a turnout? (Do you have to pull over in order to allow people to speed?) I drive an RV and people will do ANYTHING to pass an RV, no matter what speed. I usually use the turnout just to be nice, but I don't feel obligated to if I'm going the maximum speed limit already.
    Tailgaters are MY pet peeve. You should be able to blast some used motor oil on their windshield or something.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I don't know for certain but I would say if you drive the speed limit then you are fine. Argument is easily that you aren't delaying them. I know what you are saying. I drive our RV at speed limit ( would never drive above ) and people will fly by and then drive slower than me. Pretty incredible

112 miles from my house to the boat launch at sportsman. 55-65mph plus 2 pee stops around 2.5 hours. So if I'm doing 80 I save what 15 minutes. Not even worth it. I have been on that road since 78, driving it since 81. It has come a long way but the drivers have not. Every year we see this. This year though, I have seen alot more Troopers than in the years past.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Here is a question I never seem to get a good answer for, and there probably isn't one. If you are going the maximum speed limit and are holding more than five cars up are you obligated to pull over at a turnout? (Do you have to pull over in order to allow people to speed?) I drive an RV and people will do ANYTHING to pass an RV, no matter what speed. I usually use the turnout just to be nice, but I don't feel obligated to if I'm going the maximum speed limit already.
    Tailgaters are MY pet peeve. You should be able to blast some used motor oil on their windshield or something.
    I've had the same question and here is how I personally see it. When I pull a camper down there at the speed limit I feel obligated to pull out if there is a line and I'm doing the speed limit. My reasoning is that sometimes around corners and up hills I have to slow down a MPH or two. I like to use cruise control and I'm sure others do too so if I'm varying my speed a bit I imagine I am pissing off all the people behind me that just want to put it in cruise and enjoy the ride. I know I get upset when someone is going 55 then 52 then 56 then 54. I just want to get past them and set the cruise.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    112 miles from my house to the boat launch at sportsman. 55-65mph plus 2 pee stops around 2.5 hours. So if I'm doing 80 I save what 15 minutes. Not even worth it. I have been on that road since 78, driving it since 81. It has come a long way but the drivers have not. Every year we see this. This year though, I have seen alot more Troopers than in the years past.
    2 pee stops in a 2 1/2 hour ride?? ?? ??
    Might want to see the doctor there Chuck or get you some Depends!!!!!

Nah I could just piss in your coffee cup instead and get rid of the 2 stops.

Originally Posted by alaskachuck

Or cut back on the adult beverages. Because that is exactly what happens to me.... I drink a bottle and immediately I relieve myself of a bottles worth.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    Originally Posted by alaskachuck

Or cut back on the adult beverages. Because that is exactly what happens to me.... I drink a bottle and immediately I relieve myself of a bottles worth.
    Im not saying a word to that response. Ok one just one thing. Its the coffee **** it

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Nah I could just piss in your coffee cup instead and get rid of the 2 stops.
    That could be tough when we're in different vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I' let the others run down and screw one, Me I am going to walk down and screw them all. I pull a trailer on occasion while doing the speed limit and if someone is riding my arse, I'll pull over and let em by. I feel I am older, more mature and am not in that big of a hurry anymore to rush somewhere. If they are on my arse bad and driving crazy, I have the troopers number in my phone and they get a call. They will respond. The nut that was doing well over 90 a few weeks back passing everyone before the Hope cut-off, was pulled over and getting what was coming to him by a Trooper at the big turn out before Whittier.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast