Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salcha River Report 18 July 2010

Default Salcha River Report 18 July 2010

Went out with Sapper 27 and 2 other people in a boat last night (total of 4). Sapper 27 caught/released 1 small King salmon. Fished for about 3 hours soaking roe and bouncing kwik fish. The water was running clear and about normal...lots of people on the sand bar below the hwy bidge and even more at the bend on Jimbos property. Saw a few other fish rolling...a few boats out in the glory channel just upstream from between Jimbos. Thinking I was not doing it right?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I managed a nice buck about 6 days ago using my secret roe recipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jedi,

Fished Saturday with Tradbow in the same areas you described. Worked kwikfish from 0730 to 1530 and managed multiple fish to hand with a couple more take-downs missed. Thing is, most of those fish came within 15 minutes of each other...in fact, we even had a double at one point. The majority of the time was quiet (and very wet). If ya'll only fished a few hours maybe you were just in between surges of fish??? We were lucky enough to be in the right spot when a big push came through...
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

yuppers...well EOD caught all the fish LOL!

Went back out that evening...well really never left and took my buddies 11yr old son out. They wouldnt touch quicks, where earlier in the day it was almost strictly a kwik game. I only had a little bit or roe, and Tyler managed 2 kings. We only saw one other boat below us catch one that evening. By the time I got back to the spot and got the anchor down there was fishing rolling all over the place.

It's only going to get better.

speaking of good...876 through the counter yesterday.

459 on sunday

267 on sat.

Should be peaking here any day if it hasnt as of yesterday!

Are these Kings still eatable?

that is debateable....we did catch a couple 2 weekends ago that were brighter then most but personally still darker then I care to keep. I did see one last year that was chrome blushed believe it or not. And actually saw another swimming up river that was very similar in color. Most however are quite dark. So speaking for myself and myself only, I wouldnt keep them! Many who do prefer to smoke them. imho I think you'd be dissappointed if you tried grilling one unless you came acrossed the odd bright fish. The fish we did land this past sat were starting to hold that fire engine red color and dark face features....including one with mold in it's nose already.

If it were me and I was looking to keep some fish...I'd be headed towards soldotna right now. 2 days of 60k plus reds, another 40k plus day. The kasilof itself is doing well also for reds. And there is always the chance of a king in there.

Smoking? Perhaps. Grilling? Heck no...IMO any fish that makes that swim has earned the right to be released so it can spawn. Then die. Gotta make sure some make it back next year...

Sitting @ the logjam hole. There are 12 boats here now. Saw 5 jacks caught, we caught 2 of them. All the fish are small, never seen this many folks here on a weeknight. Hope the fishing picks up as the sun goes down.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid, what boat where you in? We were in the green cat, I was rowing......again..... We landed 3, lost a bunch. Had some great take downs but for some wierd reason couldnt get a hook to hold. Kind of a screwball night for us.

You're definatly right...they are mini's! We had one decent one on, came loose and rolled. Had a few others roll right by the boat. The other odd thing about the smaller kings is many of them still had silver faces. We saw two really nice fish last year, one caught and one swimming up river. I wouldnt have hesitated to bonk either of them. Eod and I were out 2 weeks ago and the fish were a bit brighter but not as bright as a lower gulkana king, almost tempting, not bright enough for me but getting close. Last sat, Heath landed a few fire engine red's. I honestly dont remember the color of starky's fish.... conveniently forgot LOL! That evening my buddies son showed up he landed 2 more, again mini's and both bright. The first one was definatly eatable if a guy was considering it.

Over all we didnt see much caught around us. We did get whacked a bunch. And again once the light started to fade our evening ended. I never did swap the hooks out on the kiwks. We only missed one on the trebles....the rest were on brand new gamies.

Forgot to add, the water has really risen since this past sat!!!

I was in my Wolly Alaskan II. I saw a cat just down from the old counting station, was that you??? Still better to be on the water than not. Also ran into the Jedi at the boat ramp.

Never seen so many people out on the Salcha, had guys drop anchor on top of my lures. If I can read the small print on your beer can your too close....

My Mom and wife both landed one.

Tradbow, we will have to go chase them one day.

Steve

Steve,

That was me! We were getting railed on gear and bait....just odd we couldnt keep a hook in them for more then a second.

I've never seen that many boats down there even on a weekend LOL!

Let me know, my schedule is whacked so hopefully you're flexible LOL! I'll likely be there this sat morning after work. I'm gonna bring the gear with me and leave right from base, should be there by 6. Then off to fwa to take the boaters saftey course.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I was in my Wolly Alaskan II. I saw a cat just down from the old counting station, was that you??? Still better to be on the water than not. Also ran into the Jedi at the boat ramp.

Never seen so many people out on the Salcha, had guys drop anchor on top of my lures. If I can read the small print on your beer can your too close....

My Mom and wife both landed one.

Tradbow, we will have to go chase them one day.

Steve
    Good to meet you Steve! Always a bussel around the boat ramp with that many boats leaving the ramp area...maybe chat with you more next time we cross paths!

Only 1 king for me on the 20th.

hey jedi,
    you left just a little too soon after we talked out on the water the other night. had plenty of hits soon after you left until we had to quit after 1am. all on wiggle warts. most were small like the rest were saying, but hit a #25ish or so too.

I am always on the wrong time at the Salcha it seems...

That's because the fish know when the FORCE has left the river.

Sitting in my boat at the hole. The bite is slow, but we have caught 2 nice ones and a jack. Will be in my RV camped at the Salcha boat launch, stop by and say Hi.
    Tradbow, maybe I will see you in the morning.

Steve
    Founding Member

You have connection from your boat? That's impressive, what kind of service do you have on that laptop? PM me details, I'm interested. Good luck, hope you nail more of them.

Using the tapatalk app and posting from my iPhone. Back on the water, bite continues to be slow.
    Founding Member

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Keep at it, they'll turn on eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast