Thread: Kasilof reds- bigger this year?

Default Kasilof reds- bigger this year?

Is it just me or do the fish at Kasilof seem bigger this year than in the past?

My coolers got full after 27 fish. Seems like it used to take 40 to fill them up.

My imagination or are they indeed bigger than usual?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default seemed the same as last year to me...

what matters to me more than size is the numbers my wife and kids caught were good and therefore they loved it

They seemed to be around the same size as anywhere else, at least the one's that we got.

It's you, sorry to say!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

They're beautiful fish bilder. Some that I got there were over 13 pounds too. Then I went to the Kenai and 3/4 of those seemed to be more like 15 pounds.

The smaller ones let me process their cure more easily due to thin fillets, so I like'm all sizes. The larger ones I vacuum pack for "fresh" fillets year 'round here.

Wink

HEY!!! Shut the heck up guys! I've worked hard to perpetuate the myth that Kasilof fish are somehow inferior to Kenai fish. Please don't go and mess that up!!!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I went on the opener this year and did notice that the fish caught we're fairly large. Then I realized the commercials hadn't been released yet. Was on south beach again this last weekend, picked up the smaller fish I'm used too. Some had net gashes meaning they escaped from the comms. I bet those fish thought they were lucky.

Kasilof was okay fishing for us this year. My boys out dipnetted the husband this year. I wouldn't say that they were any bigger than anywhere else that we dipnet. We usually go to Chitna to go dipnetting. Either way, they are reds and they are good tasting fish!
    Lurker.