Thread: My Smith's saved my eyeball

Default My Smith's saved my eyeball

Had a very obvious reminder last night on why we wear eye protection when fishing. I was hooked into a red when the hook came loose and about 1/2 oz. of lead came and hit me in the eye/forehead. luckily i was wearing my sunglasses so I escaped with just some minor swelling and some bleeding on my forehead. Glad I was wearing 'em. Good news, I limited out in about 45 minutes....all in all a good night.

I never fish without eye protection, for that exact reason. I'm glad your day worked out, congrats on the catch.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

There were others yesterday who weren't so lucky. One gal did the exact same thing and had the sinker come back and nail her in the nose, drawing blood. She wasn't wearing glasses, but put safety glasses on right after that.

Unfortunately, another lady did the same thing a short while later, except she got the hook into the eye. She was medevac'd up to Anchorage and will probably lose the eye.

If you're in a vehicle, wear a seat belt.

If you're in a boat, wear a life jacket.

If you're using a fishing pole, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!

It ain't worth the risk. Take a second and think about how important your eye sight is. Better yet, put an eye patch over your dominant eye and try to go about your normal activities (not including driving!) for a few hours. Sucks, not having depth perception, doesn't it?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'm dealing with a safety glasses reminder right now. This weekend i used my chainsaw to quickly cut something. First time I've never worn some sort of eye protection. It was a quick cut and all, but I got a piece of wood in my eye and now it's scratched pretty good. Visene helps but the safety glass would have been a better idea. I'm glad all I got was a scratch.

My biggest pet peeve on the river is people who have the latest greatest depth finding-sonar enhanced fishing glasses and let their kids play (or fish) right next to them with nothing covering their eyes. You wouldn't let your child ride in the car without their seatbelt would you? My kids have simple rules, wear em or we go home!

+1 ... esp in the combat zone.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Blows me away to see folks in the combat zone with no eye protection on, i have seen some horrible injuries..
    Smith makes some pretty sweet glasses, they have some called toasters that have interchangeable lenses and they come with three sets. dark polarized,,clear,, and the clear yellow,, plus you can order bout any color you want..and they all fit in the case so yer covered for any light conditions..and they have a lifetime warranty..

I too never fish without eye protection. Cracked a lens on my Smiths a few years back fishing Quartz creek for dollies when I foul hooked a red 2 size bb probably would have taken my eye out. Also got nailed in the forehead on the russian fishing for reds. Drew blood. I'd rather forget my rod than my eye protection!

+2 Hubby and I always wear glasses. Neighbor got a hook right into the eye years ago and lost his sight. Happened at the Russian. One guy I know had his two front teeth knocked out years ago. What's next, mouth piece? Helmet?

when I was in high school I saw a guy trying to land a king in thigh deep water. He had his rod way above his head and was reaching for the fish when the hook popped loose. Next thing you know he's dancing around with a 3/0 hook dangling from his lip.

A few years ago while fishing the lower Kenai for silvers, a buddy had one on and was fighting it in (we were anchored). The fish was directly behind my boat about 30 feet or so. The hook came loose and the whole rod/rig unloaded and shot back between he and I and the 3/4 oz. weight shattered my windshield. It was pretty funny, but at the same time, made me acutely aware of the danger.

My favorite nightmare on the Russian/Kenai area is to see some moron in the combat fishing zone with an infant/toddler in his "backpack" child carrier with no eye protection. I'd hate to have to explain to my daughter years later that she was blind in one eye because I was stupid enough to put her on my back and flip a Russian river fly in her eye!

Yes, I've mentioned the danger to several folks doing this, and got the expected, "F... Off, and mind your own business" response. You can't fix stupid!

I use a much different approach when landing fish in the russian/kenai... Keep the rod parallel with the water when the fish comes shallow and you never launch yor hooks or sinker out of the water. You dont lose any fish either.... im sure someone will complain and say its wrong though

I won't say its wrong, but in a combat fishing environment its the guys and gals around you that may cost you..............

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    I use a much different approach when landing fish in the russian/kenai... Keep the rod parallel with the water when the fish comes shallow and you never launch yor hooks or sinker out of the water. You dont lose any fish either.... im sure someone will complain and say its wrong though
    Different? Maybe

Wrong? No way!

I'd say you're the one doing it right.... yeah baby, low and to the side! That's the way to gitter dun!

Hold 'em high.... say goodbye! Too bad it takes most folks so long to figure that one out.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

DSC02699.jpgDSC02701.jpgWhat can happen when you don't
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

well hey there that was a different response than what I imagined. By the way, slammed out three salmon in probably 15 minutes and then pinched down the barb and released fish for hours on tuesday and wed night at about 1am!

I have one to add to the eyewear topic. Make certain that your glasses are shatterproof as I have a buddy who just about lost his eye due to the lead breaking his lens and driving it into the eyeball. I got the pleasure of babysitting him for 2 weeks as he had to have both eyes patched to minimize movement but luckily he has retained about 80 percent of his vision in that eye.

Good luck out there!

Those pictures are worth a thousand forum posts... stay careful out there. and protect your kids.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!