Thread: Bayrunner or Klamath?

Default Bayrunner or Klamath?

I believe these boats are made by the same company, but what are your opinions/observations on how seaworthy they are. I am trying to decide which way to go. Bayrunner is more agreeable with the pocketbook, but I've heard that Klamath has better stability and is not as prone to chine walking.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

For what its worth, my first boat years and years ago was a bayrunner. I loved the high bow, the extra width was great. It could haul quite a bit of weight (much more than a lund or such of the same size)

The downside was its weight. If you wanted to beach it, you best either be ready to stay for the tide, or have a party of ten guys to get it spun around and drug down the beach.

I have never owned a klamath, can't comment there.

I have a 16 foot klamath just got it this year 2 trips to Kenai river, very pleased with the boat takes waves / wakes very well.
    only complaint with mine it is under powered for a load which i expected when i bought it 30 hp just is not enough.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

In regards to the bayrunner, I've been told that they can be unstable if the weight is not properly distributed,... more so than Klamath. I know that weight distribution is important for ANY boat, but some are more prone to squirrely handling than others. I had a 16 ft delta skiff that chine walked just horribly... a good fart would throw it off balance. I would like to avoid that problem in my next boat!
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Didn't they stop manufacturing the Bayrunners?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

ksbha4,
    I've had a 19' Klamath GTX with a 50hp E-tec for 3 years now.Bought it brand new with easyload trailer $21k out the door.I mainly fish it on the Kenai,out of Seward,and a lot out of Homer.It has the canvas top,walk thru windshield,and a few other amenities I've added.For me this boat does all I can ask it to do.Of course I don't go out in 5' seas,though I have had to duck in to a cove to wait out some nasty weather that snuck up on me,but that is just something we all need to keep an eye out for.The boat handles well enough in all but the nastyest stuff.I've owned something like a dozen different boats over the years and have to say I like my Klamath.
    If you can perhaps you should try to test drive both.Good luck in your quest.

I have a very old 19-some-foot Bayrunner open model. It is heavy, and somewhat unstable due to its narrowness. It does take water better than a Lund or other boat with less sheer. I also love the way it skidaddles with a Honda 90 on the transom.

If I could afford it, I would buy another Koffler BayBee like I used to have. Heavy, but what a great boat.