Thread: Whoever mentioned using a plastic grass welcome mat to keep fish from sliding around

Default Whoever mentioned using a plastic grass welcome mat to keep fish from sliding around

Thanks, great advice! I couldnt find the original thread so I thought I'd say it here.

Tried it today and it makes a HUGE difference, usually the salmon slide all over the top of the transom fish box top while trying to clean them and its a big pita. As soon as the fish slime hit the cuttingboard plastic lid it was worse than being greased.

Today it was like they were velcrod in place, I see what you mean about getting the short blades of plastic grass though, took a while to get it clean with the deck washdown nozzle.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

I tacked and glued my mat to an old piece of plywood and cut a big hole for a handle. I was fileting salmon while my wife was driving at normal cruise speed. When I needed a rinse, I just held the filet board in the boat spray, it came clean as a whistle in moments. Plus, the board has a little lip on it, that holds it in place so it won't slide off the fish-box top either.

Thanks Mort, good idea too
    "Dominion"

Pretty much in the same line as the grass mat, I use 1/2" plywood covered with some bunk carpet.

Sound like such a great idea I went out and got one thanks guys.

I was concerned the bunk carpet, or indoor-outdoor (like golf driving-range mats) would clog up with fish slime and be much more difficult to clean. Perhaps I was wrong...

So where did you find this in Anchorage?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Went to Ace hardware on Muldoon and picked up one, something like 10 bucks or so. They had two sizes one was about 20 inches wide and the other is around 26" wide, which is the one I picked up.

BTW, Lowes, Home Despot, and Target didnt have any. Didn't check freddies or walmart
    "Dominion"

Got mine at Freddie's. Plastic grass scraper mat.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have been using burlap sack material for a number of years now and find that it works especialy well. doesnt leave the little "grass clippings" and can be hung overboard or washed in the river a few times before it gets too cut up to be serviceable and then you just toss it into the camp fire or dumpster.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

An old Sourdough taught me the trick with Burlap back in the '70's while helping him clean and fillet salmon from his fishwheel. He would keep a 5-gal bucket half-full of water and soak the burlap pieces in there after we were done and they were sprayed off. After an hour soak, the blood and fish pieces would separate off, and a final spray had the burlap good as new. We'd dry them out, and reuse them over and over. Some lasted years. all depended on the knife-cuts. We always had extras, tho. I still scrounge burlap anywhere I see it to this day, even if I don't need it like I used to--force of habit, I guess.
    Never thought of the grass-matts, tho-- that's a good idea. Of course, if you don't have to use anything at all - all the better.

got mine at walmart and worked great the last two days on silvers

Anchorage True Value will have them too. They may be gray or blue, not green, but they work great.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Different from the grass mat, here's what we did on our river boat:
    The boat has welded "sponsons" on the back that flank the outboard; when fishing on the river, I found they were the perfect platform to clean fish from, except the fish would slide easily, especially with passing boat wakes.
    One trip to TW and I picked up some 3M anti-skid tape and applied it to the tops of the sponsons; absolutely works like a charm, even did a "test" and flopped a red on there while a boat was trying to get on step 10 yds away, fish stayed put. Gotta be careful with the knives though as that stuff will dull them quickly.
    The operation works great, easy to clean too.
    Hope someone can use the idea! Jim

Yes artificial grass mat i svery good idea definitely some people called it plastic grass as well im also using it in house lawn and besides tha swimming pool grass it is just like a one time payment and very less maintenance ahead becuase no need for watering cutting or fertilizing..........

Artificial Grass

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

To clean the door mat kind of plastic grass mat, just stick it in the water next to the boat and then shake it hard with one hand, kinda flipping the bottom back and forth. If it's really grimy do it once or twice from each end. To get fish eggs and stuff out, bend it in a U shape with the grass out and pound it edge wise on your cutting board and more junk will come out. Trying to spray the mat off is almost the hardest way.

The best fish cleaning mat I've found is one of these. (no idea what they are called, but fish stick to them and they are easy to clean and durable):