Thread: need some input/ advice (rechamber a .243 to .......)

Default need some input/ advice (rechamber a .243 to .......)

I have a Winchester 670 .243, it is in great condition for being 40 years old, I got it from a friend about 20 years ago and I really havenít shot it because I donít like the 243 for some reason (I honestly donít know why) but he needed the money so I bought it from him.

Anyway, I was cleaning it the other night and it really is in good condition and I got to thinking what cal I have it re-done for. There are a lot of 308 based rounds out there, I was/ am leaning towards 260 rem, 7mm-08 or the 308... maybe even in that order. Get it done in 260 then after I burn it up (or just get tired of it) bump up to the 7mm then to the 308.

Any reasons for/against any particular round?
    Iím open to suggestion, (Iím just looking for something semi-normal).
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Thats alot of reboreing on a barrel.Keeping heart out of it selling and getting what you want would be the best bet.The 243 is the most sold shell on Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Nope, ALL those rounds are better than that dinky lil 243.

The shame of it all, Rebarrel it Quick.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you want a new caliber, you aren't re-chambering it. You'd either need to have the barrel re-bored, or entirely replace the barrel. That isn't the most cost effective way to go about it and you're typically better off just selling the gun and buying what you want.

As to the .243, you might want to give it a chance. With good bullets it'll effectively kill most AK game, is an accurate round, and has mild enough recoil that you can become a very good shot with it.

Have it rebarrelled o 358 winchester. Put a 20" tube on it and call it good. You should be able to have that done with an Adams and Bennett barrel fairly inexpensive, and they shoot quite well.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I'm with BIGSWEDE on this one, rebarrel it to 358win. Though I'd go 22" or so, but I like longer barrels.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I'll add a nod towards the 358 Winchester. It provides a lot of thump in a fairly small package. Nothing wrong with any of the cartridges you mentioned: 260, 7-08, or 308. They each serve a bit different niche, but they are not drastically different. What is the primary purpose for the rifle you are planning?
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Something different, a pleasure/easy to shoot, easy to reload, not too expensive to reload, easy to carry, AND UsefulÖ
    Iím really up in the air with the first 3 that I mentioned because I already have a 6.5 Grendel/.264 LBC with my TC (24Ē SS octagon barrel from MGM) and that is close enough to the ones I mentioned that I really donít need them. Besides when I find one I like I am going to get an AR-10 in 308.
    I was thinking about the WSMís today and they would fit nicely in that action too, and they too are all pretty much the same as one another, the 358 Win is one that I had not thought of, and it does look pretty good (thanks for that one). has anyone tried an 8mm-08, or is that too much like the 325 WSM (which I really like)Ö decisions decisions.
    Josh

[/
    QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    I have a Winchester 670 .243, it is in great condition for being 40 years old, I got it from a friend about 20 years ago and I really haven’t shot it because I don’t like the 243 for some reason (I honestly don’t know why) but he needed the money so I bought it from him.

Anyway, I was cleaning it the other night and it really is in good condition and I got to thinking what cal I have it re-done for. There are a lot of 308 based rounds out there, I was/ am leaning towards 260 rem, 7mm-08 or the 308... maybe even in that order. Get it done in 260 then after I burn it up (or just get tired of it) bump up to the 7mm then to the 308.

Any reasons for/against any particular round?
    I’m open to suggestion, (I’m just looking for something semi-normal).
    OK now....... You've got a 243 thtat's in great condition for being really old.... which sounds like to me it looks good on the outside.... My question is.. how does it shoot??? Next question.... what do you want to shoot with it????? Betchya I could kill a beeeg bear with a 243.... not saying it would be my cal of choice, but I'm guessin I could get it done eh.

If you want to rebarrel it or rechamber it then go ahead and get it done... but my question is why? Is it your only rifle?

From my read on it, keep it like it is unless it shoots poorly... good hunting and put it right behind the ear : )

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    Something different, a pleasure/easy to shoot, easy to reload, not too expensive to reload, easy to carry, AND UsefulÖhas anyone tried an 8mm-08, or is that too much like the 325 WSM (which I really like)Ö decisions decisions.
    With those stipulations it is hard to improve upon a 308 Winchester. The others are great cartridges, but they are not as versatile IMO.

No experience with an 8mm-08, but my wife shoots a 338 Federal (338-08) and I can't see any reason to select the .323 when the .338 is so readily available. I suspect the 8mm-08 would be a fine cartridge, but it seems much ado about nothing with the 308 on one side and the 338 Federal on the other.

As for the WSMs, you can use your action, but you are going to find them less pleasurable to shoot (more recoil), more expensive to reload (50% more powder and more costly brass) and they are certainly a fad right now. They don't seem to fit your criteria. I'd look hard at the 338 Federal as it may do everything you won't and is the least common factory available cartridge on the .308 case.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    [/

OK now....... You've got a 243 thtat's in great condition for being really old.... which sounds like to me it looks good on the outside.... My question is.. how does it shoot??? Next question.... what do you want to shoot with it????? Betchya I could kill a beeeg bear with a 243.... not saying it would be my cal of choice, but I'm guessin I could get it done eh.

If you want to rebarrel it or rechamber it then go ahead and get it done... but my question is why? Is it your only rifle?

From my read on it, keep it like it is unless it shoots poorly... good hunting and put it right behind the ear : )
    I’m just not a big fan of the 6mm not sure why, I’m just not.
    I haven’t shot it in 20 years so I don’t have any idea how it shoots. The outside and the inside are spectacular, just some copper deposits i cant get out of the barrel, nothing major you can barely see them.
    I’d be happy to be able to use the new cal. on most game, (minus the big’uns, heck maybe even a few of them too). But even that’s not a big factor I’ve got everything covered... I have several nice rifles, pistols and shotguns; they cover everything that I would be able to hunt in North America. Well I don’t have an air rifle anymore so fly shooting is out for a bit. And for the “right behind the ear”... too risky if you like to keep the skull, I’ve shot white tail with a 12ga, had to use shotgun slugs back then in NY now they are allowing rifles in most places, anyway... I’ve shattered many skulls shooting in the neck/head on the does.
    All in All it’s personal Preff. Like you thinking its a great rifle the way it is, (and im sure it is), I just dont like the 6mm.
    Josh

LOL, that guy said the WSM is a fad..... A decade later and still selling like crazy... Reminds me of the military thinking Oakley sunglasses were a fad, now they sell them in the PX with tactical lenses and similar styles are issued...

If I positively had to rebarrel something on a .308 action it would be the .338 Federal. I've considered one since their introduction.

IMHO about the single most practical hunting cartridge introduction in a long, long time...and I even like my WSM.

If your reboring the barrel gotta make sure you have enough barrel wall thickness for the new caliber. My vote for a rebarrel job would be a 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel, but the 358 Win would be a good round too. You would probably have to do some work on the barrel channel on the stock to accomodate for a larger contour barrel as well. What do you plan on hunting with the rifle afterward?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    LOL, that guy said the WSM is a fad..... A decade later and still selling like crazy...
    You may be right, fad may be a bit strong, but I am uncertain what the best word is right now. To say they are selling like crazy is guilty of overstatement. The 300 is certainly popular, the 270 much less so. The 7mm is hardly seen at all and the jury is still out on the 325 as rifles over 30 caliber are not that popular of an item regardless of design. The OP wanted something a bit different and IMO building a WSM is following the crowd right now. I expect that in a few years the 300 & 270 WSM devotees will continue onward, but the crowd will change directions and follow the new "best cartridge ever developed" whatever that will be and buy them by the truckload. This pretty much sums up the history of cartridge development and marketing of same.

I believe trekkies are still a fad and well over a decade old
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you