Thread: Fishing at Russian river ferry

Default Fishing at Russian river ferry

Curious how is the fishing by the ferry crossing? I'm assuming it us slow since no one has posted anything with 100 thousand plus in the river you think the fishing would be good there. We are heading down tomorrow to Soldotna first. How is the fishing at the mouth of the kenai for is folks using rods? Don't here much on that.

100K fish in the Kenai river doesn't mean fish at the Russian. It takes awhile to get up there including holing up on the way......

It takes anywhere from 5-7 days for the fish to get in the upper kenai. Also the big lump of these fish are kenai fish and not russian fish. Id fish bings, swiftwaters are centinall
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

AlaskaChuck is correct. I figure the reds will be hitting the upper River in the next 3 to 4 days since they hit pretty hard at the mouth of the Kenai about a week ago. That will give them a couple days to mill around in Skilak before continuing up the river to the Russian and beyond.

I don't know about Russian yet, but report from Centennial to Eagle Rock. We drifted it Monday for kings, and there were reds splashing in EVERY eddy, and every group of red fishermen we drifted past had at least one red hooked while we drifted by. I'd drive the extra 30 minutes to Bing's or 45 minutes to Soldotna and fish. Jillions of fish, and they're that much brighter.

I got a day off of work tomorrow and thought I'd drive up early in the a.m. from Eagle River. I've fished twice this year (my first year here) on the Kenai at the ferry crossing, but have not gone further down the road. Where is Bing's? Is there a place to park? Are hip waders all I need? Thanks for any information. I want to have the best chance to catch something and figure driving 30 minutes further is not a big deal.

Goose

Bings is just North of Sterling, there is a conservation area with boat launch and parking.
    Walk down to the boat launch and turn right, follow the trail down river and fish the Nap Town rapids area.

Here's a map fer ya.
    Plenty of signage to get you where you need to be.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.062141&z=14

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    It takes anywhere from 5-7 days for the fish to get in the upper kenai. Also the big lump of these fish are kenai fish and not russian fish. Id fish bings, swiftwaters are centinall
    Would you recommend putting a boat in at Skilak and going into the middle river to fish for them? I have a 16 ft. Smokercraft with a 50 HP prop. I was thinking about hitting some gravel bars and stopping to fish for reds and trout. I was just wondering if the river is deep enough.

River is definately deep enough this time of year. We used to fish the kenai keys area all the time with our 16' with a 50hp on it, it is A BLAST!!!!!!!!! You will definately have fun with those reds, just look for jumpers and sandbars with easy access

Thanks Drifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    River is definately deep enough this time of year. We used to fish the kenai keys area all the time with our 16' with a 50hp on it, it is A BLAST!!!!!!!!! You will definately have fun with those reds, just look for jumpers and sandbars with easy access
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot this week.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseafcrna View Post
    I got a day off of work tomorrow and thought I'd drive up early in the a.m. from Eagle River. I've fished twice this year (my first year here) on the Kenai at the ferry crossing, but have not gone further down the road. Where is Bing's? Is there a place to park? Are hip waders all I need? Thanks for any information. I want to have the best chance to catch something and figure driving 30 minutes further is not a big deal.

Goose

If your hitting Bings, take chest waders! There are few good spots available with hippers, as the river has been running high lately.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Well been at centennial the last two days and I have limited out both times. Drove by the Russian ferry and it is a ghost town. As they said go to soldotna, if I didn't have things going on tomorrow I would head back down. The best part my daughter caught her first red today! I'm heading down Thursday, Friday And Saturday going to try so
    e dipnetting as well.

Here is an update.
    Well, I woke up early and drove down to the ferry from Eagle River. Fished all day-hooked up with 6 good fish, landed 0! I'm sure it's 'cause I don't know what the #$%^ I'm doing salmon fishing, but it's really annoying. The morning was really slow, but lots of people hooking up by 2-3 this afternoon. This fish were bright and strong. I can't even tell when I have one on until they jump, run, and out comes the hook. Oh well, I'll head back next Mon or Tue and give it another try. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Goose