Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: need help with poor shooting rifle

  1. #1
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,459

    Default need help with poor shooting rifle

    Brand new Savage 325 WSM with new Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 scope. Followed recommended break in ~ clean, shoot, clean shoot, etc. From the start the gun has been very erratic, no pattern at all to shots. Shooting at 100 yards, three different times at the range. First shot is where it should be, every shot afterwards is all over the map, some even off the paper. Am shooting two shots, wait a few minutes for barrell to cool. Shot a box of factory Winchester ammo ~ 220 grain soft points through the gun so far. Checked scope all mounts and rings are all tight. Do I have a bad scope? Going to try some different ammo next. Took out my .308 Win mod 70 and shot the tightest group ever with cheap plinking ammo so I don't think I'm getting a case of the shakes.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  2. #2

    Default

    That sounds like a bedding issue. You might need to take off the stock and epoxy a piece of file folder or section of a playing card to get some upward pressure. However, with it being off as you have said it might have some kind of internal bedding problem. Best of luck. That kind of gun might need a glue in.

    Sincerely,
    Thomas

  3. #3
    Member Eastwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern Tier, New York
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Brand new Savage 325 WSM with new Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 scope. Followed recommended break in ~ clean, shoot, clean shoot, etc. From the start the gun has been very erratic, no pattern at all to shots. Shooting at 100 yards, three different times at the range. First shot is where it should be, every shot afterwards is all over the map, some even off the paper. Am shooting two shots, wait a few minutes for barrell to cool. Shot a box of factory Winchester ammo ~ 220 grain soft points through the gun so far. Checked scope all mounts and rings are all tight. Do I have a bad scope? Going to try some different ammo next. Took out my .308 Win mod 70 and shot the tightest group ever with cheap plinking ammo so I don't think I'm getting a case of the shakes.
    I think you may have a bad scope. I would start with putting a known good scope on your new rifle.

  4. #4
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,730

    Default

    Might be a good idea to let a friend shoot a couple groups thru it - seems a bit odd that your first shot is always where it should be then it goes haywire?
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

  5. #5
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,304

    Default

    I've probably owned 50 rifles now. Not many by many people's standards, but still a bunch. I have yet to have one that groups over 4" and not have it be a scope, scope mount, or sight issue. The 4" groups and smaller tend to be stock bedding or crown issues, but the groups are consistantly round...just big.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    mile 1016
    Posts
    143

    Default

    I'm guessing it's a wood stock? One thing you could try is to retorque all action screws. Maybe it's moving in the stock.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    What's the trigger like? I bought a Ruger awhile back that had a bear of a trigger, it made sighting the gun in almost impossible. Also, how light is the gun? I've seen plenty of people switch from a heavy gun to a light weight gun like the Remington TI and have issues because they just aren't used to shooting a light gun.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  8. #8

    Default

    I vote for a scope issue as well. My son had a remington woodsmaster in 308 that would do what you're describing and we swapped the leupold scope out for a known good scope and the problem went away. Since the leupold scope was new and under warranty, I emailed the support folks and they had me do an alignment of sorts with the crosshairs along with the ghost crosshairs. Once I did that the scope worked as advertised.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yukon Canada
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    could be a scope problem. could also be the gun. i have had a few that wouldnt shoot into a 12 inch bull at 50 yards with iron sights. A friend is going thru that now with a very expensive lever gun. Yours is a savage... they normally shoot very well... after you change scopes if it still wont shoot send it back they will do right by you.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Interesting problem as you stated the first shot always goes where it is supposed to, which is really weird. Anyhow, the obvious you checked (scope and mounts) which leaves the bedding or crown as the easiest to correct. Inspect the crown with a magnifying glass looking for burs or scratches.
    Bedding is easy. Loosen and tighten each guard screw and see if the barreled action moves in the stock.
    But the easiest solution is to send it back to Savage.
    Peyton, Colorado

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hartford Michigan
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Might be a good idea to let a friend shoot a couple groups thru it - seems a bit odd that your first shot is always where it should be then it goes haywire?


    That was a nice way to put it........

  12. #12
    Member markopolo50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenton,Michigan
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
    I vote for a scope issue as well. My son had a remington woodsmaster in 308 that would do what you're describing and we swapped the leupold scope out for a known good scope and the problem went away. Since the leupold scope was new and under warranty, I emailed the support folks and they had me do an alignment of sorts with the crosshairs along with the ghost crosshairs. Once I did that the scope worked as advertised.
    Not to get off line here but I am curious what sort of alignment is done with the crosshairs?? New to me and always eager to learn new things. thanks, Mark

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    You know that a Therapist would tell you that "First, The Bullet has to Want to hit the target....."~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  14. #14

    Default

    I'd say scope mounts/rings.. But, since you are confident that the scope is properly mounted, it could be a bad scope. Swap scopes and check.

    I'm not really familiar with Savage rifles, but with Remmys, your rifle can give you erratic accuracy if your front base screw is a little too long and contacting bbl threads. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Brand new Savage 325 WSM with new Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 scope. Followed recommended break in ~ clean, shoot, clean shoot, etc. From the start the gun has been very erratic, no pattern at all to shots. Shooting at 100 yards, three different times at the range. First shot is where it should be, every shot afterwards is all over the map, some even off the paper. Am shooting two shots, wait a few minutes for barrell to cool. Shot a box of factory Winchester ammo ~ 220 grain soft points through the gun so far. Checked scope all mounts and rings are all tight. Do I have a bad scope? Going to try some different ammo next. Took out my .308 Win mod 70 and shot the tightest group ever with cheap plinking ammo so I don't think I'm getting a case of the shakes.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Not to get off line here but I am curious what sort of alignment is done with the crosshairs?? New to me and always eager to learn new things. thanks, Mark
    Centering of a scope's adjustment dials:
    The elevation and windage adjustments of a scope are easily centered. Place a small mirror against the objective end of the scope. That would be the end farthest from your eye as you look through the scope. Make certain that the mirror is large enough to cover the entire objective. It must also be flat against the objective. With the scope's power selector ring set at the lowest magnification, look through the eyepiece as you would while aiming at a target. If the scope's windage and elevation adjustments are off center, you will see two images of the reticle (cross-hair). To reach the center of the adjustment range, simply turn the elevation and windage dials until you see only one image of the reticle.

    The above procedue is what I did and it resolved my problem with a leupold scope. Hope this helps.

  16. #16

    Default

    That is a cool trick, never heard that one. Sure beat counting clicks......411,412,413.......

    My bet is its a bad scope. If it is the rifle, I'd be sending it back for a new barrel, or new rifle for that matter.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Modern Savage rifles have such a great reputation for accuracy, that I would center my attention on the scope first.

  18. #18
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,730

    Default

    Its been 3 weeks, have you had any success tlingtwarrior? We all would like to learn what you may have found out???
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

  19. #19
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I've probably owned 50 rifles now. Not many by many people's standards, but still a bunch. I have yet to have one that groups over 4" and not have it be a scope, scope mount, or sight issue. The 4" groups and smaller tend to be stock bedding or crown issues, but the groups are consistantly round...just big.
    Spot on, except I have had some trashed milsurp guns that would barely hold paper at 100 yds.

    But for a scoped rifle to shoot worse than say 4" with no real groups, I'd say it's most likely a scope issue.

  20. #20

    Default

    Had a Nikon Monarch that seemed to shoot all over the place and would not adjust for windage. Tightened the screw in the adjustment knob and put it on the Whelen. shoots one inch groups now and rock steady.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •