Thread: How to fish for Silvers

Default How to fish for Silvers

Planning on fishing in Bird creek on tuesday, whats the perferred method. I have heard that the coho flies work. If there is a better bait or lure to work please let me know. Also is it a filpping thing like for reds and silvers? Guess I need alot of help actually.
    Rich

My two favorite ways to catch silvers are 1. Drift maribou jigs under a bobber 2. Throw #3 and #4 vibrax and in that order. Cured roe works just as well for silvers as it does for kings but I dislike fishing with roe, to each his own.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    My two favorite ways to catch silvers are 1. Drift maribou jigs under a bobber 2. Throw #3 and #4 vibrax and in that order. Cured roe works just as well for silvers as it does for kings but I dislike fishing with roe, to each his own.
    Hey Raptor, how do you drift the maribou jig? Just let it drift through a hole? Bounce it? Will you feel resistance? or a tug?
    Thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

soda, I fish them under a slip bobber. I set it about a foot or two off the bottom and drift it through a prime looking hole. Bobber goes down, reel until you feel the weight of the fish and set the hook.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Sniper- The silvers in Bird creek can be caught in a variety of ways. I would not recommend coho flies however- though I am sure they could catch some. If you want to use flies I would recommend an egg sucking leech or something with bright pink in it. Number 4 vibrax with a silver blade would be a good option and I like the blue body but most colors will work. Honestly, when I have been there it seems like the most fish are caught on cured roe drifted with just enough weight to keep it near the bottom. I have also seen them caught on herring drifted under a bobber and a variety of spoons. I would guess that there are quite a few pinks in there still and you may catch them on the spinners and spoons. The key there always seemed to be when. You should try and show up atleast 1.5 to 2 hours ahead of the incoming high tide. As the tide comes in the fish come with it and you will likely need to creep upstream with the fish.
    Good Luck and let us know how you do,
    Greg

Hi from Illinois.

My wife entered the Denali Lottery and just recieved news that we will be coming to Alaska on Sept, 15th to drive the park road on the 17th. We will leave on the 21st and I would like to fish for Silvers somewhere along the Parks Highway.
    I will take any help you can give me.
    Thanks,
    Buster45