Thread: grumman vs old town?

Default grumman vs old town?

i have the opportunity to purchase either a 17ft aluminum grumman double ender or a 17ft old town discovery double ender....i guess i'm old school and like the old aluminum ones but since the price is about the same i am contemplating thinking about getting the old town.....the grumman is an older model and looks to be in really good shape while the old town shows quite a bit of scratches on the sides and looks like it was stored upright and has some grime in the bottom..

since i have done a fair bit of canoeing in alaska and in michigan where i grew up i would like to think i know just enough about canoeing to get myself into trouble.....however now i am at a cross-roads between the familiar and unfamiliar....

i have a couple questions for you canoe types out there..

*what is the load range for an older grumman?
    *i hear it is substantially more than the newer aluminums being manufactured....is this true?
    *from my research it appears the old town can carry 12-1400 lbs....has anyone ever had that much in their canoe, moose hunters?
    *what is the carry weight difference between these two canoes?
    *what would you do?
    *should i have any other questions?

thanks for any feedback

don
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

well i went with my guts and bought the old grumman...the guy threw in a couple of old beater paddles and a grumman motor mount...so i put the search out for a little outboard....picked up an old montgomery wards sea king 3.5hp circa 1981....overall the nice old grumman and old motor make for a nice classic look.....after setting it all up and running it a couple of times i decided to modify the motor mount so that the prop sat just below the bottom plane of the canoe....the mod turned out pretty good and i can run full speed in about foot of water...and with added weight in the front i could probably cut that almost in half.....anyways this is what i ended up with

Nice setup and even nicer beagle. Does look to be in very good shape for an older Grumman. Ive never hauled any loads in an aluminum, but the numbers posted on Old Towns site are a bit optimistic. Much depends on how the canoe is loaded.

Curious what something like that ways w/o the motor and beagle?

the canoe itself is pretty light ...i would say 70 lbs max....close to there anyway...i can pick it up and put it on my shoulders by myself