Thread: king river trail

Default king river trail

howdy folks,

I have been research family friendly trails in the mat-su and have found the reference t the king river trail at MP 66.

Does anyone have any more specific info on the trail? is it decent and easy riding for families? any words of wisdom?? thanks

Greg

The first few miles are VERY easy (it has become a dirt road over the years), as you get further back you can get into mud holes, rock obstacles and some steeper climbs. I have taken adult rookies back to Ruby Lake and also up to the high country above the lake. The only areas that they felt challenged were at the steeper climbs and descents.

I'll echo MORSNO's comments. We were just up there this past Saturday (great weather!). Very easy for the first few miles. We did get to a point where the rock obstacles started to present a challenge. That was more due to the fact that we were riding two-up with our kids. It appeared that you could maneuver over or around most of the big rocks, but I would still recommend adequate skid plate protection.

We took two newbies out Saturday and had no problems. There's a few muddy areas that can be gotten around without getting into the mud, and all of the rocks can either be ridden around or over. We rode up to Ruby lake, had lunch, and went back. There are trails beyond Ruby lake, some that go through some pretty swampy areas and some go up into the mountains. The only issue we had was getting the newbies confident enough on their ATV's to not feel nervous about the hills or the few off-camber sections. I think King's is one of the better trails if the goal is to get up above tree line and get some nice views.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.