Thread: Uses for salmon carcass/bones?

Default Uses for salmon carcass/bones?

Been thinking of making the most of every part of the salmon. But beyond fish stock, I am not sure what to do with a carcass after the meat is filleted off.

Anyone have a good recipe that uses fish bones/carcass?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

use for bear bait next year

also the heads make good halibut bait

I just got done using the bodies of all the reds I caught this weekend. Here's what I did tonight...

1 large onion (sliced thin)
    1 fennel plant (slice stalk and leaves)

- Place in bottom on large pot, drizzle with olive oil
    - Fish carcasses...salt well and place in stock pot.
    - Turn heat on low for 20 mins to 'sweat' the onion and fennel
    - 5-6 cups of water
    - Turn heat up and simmer for 15-20 mins.
    - Remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour
    - Remove the carcasses and pick off all the meat. Each red salmon carcass will yield 1-2 cups of meat. I also save the skin, membrane and other non-bony bit for the dog.
    - Strain the liquid to remove the veggies and now you have stock.

I had salmon cakes for dinner tonight from the picked off meat. I'll also use it in soups and to make salmon salad and dips.

Another idea...

Make fish head soup. There are lots of different versions. Google and you'll find plenty of recipes.

Here's one I like.

Place the entire carcass including head in a baking dish, sprinkle with salt and bake at 325 for 30 mins. Remove and allow to cool. Pick the meat off the head and carcass and set aside. Use the bones and scraps to make fish stock.

Chop and Sautee 6-8 cloves of garlic, 3-4 leeks, 5-6 green onions in some olive oil until lightly browned. Add a cup of white wine and several cups of fish stock. Add several cubed potatoes(I have also added other veggies such as corn, shredded cabbage, red peppers...whatever I have in the fridge). Simmer over low heat until potatoes are soft. Add in fish meat. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 10 -15 mins and serve.

Fin tissues & fats, are some of the tastiest parts of the fish! if you clean out the stomach well enough, you can even eat that part, the heart & liver!, & as Chris has posted, fish heads, some VERY tasty parts like cheeks on fish heads...the nose skin is pretty darned good too...

I wrap mine in Gaignon twine and hang in a crab pot and let it soak for 4-24 hours. remove the legal size crabs . Boil some water and crab boil seasoning. Add the crabs return to a boil and cook 10-12 minutes or so.
    Taste is AWSOME. Nothing like fresh Kachemak bay Tanner crabs.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

i chop into small chunks and thro it in w/the rotting guts. come spring, bury in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I wrap mine in Gaignon twine and hang in a crab pot and let it soak for 4-24 hours. remove the legal size crabs . Boil some water and crab boil seasoning. Add the crabs return to a boil and cook 10-12 minutes or so.
    Taste is AWSOME. Nothing like fresh Kachemak bay Tanner crabs.
    I cast my vote for this recipe. I'll be doing the same in 10 days but I also use some cod.

I just finished bagging up and freezing 12 or so pounds of really good pet food that I made from salmon carcasses. I just coudn't stand the idea of throwing them all away after removing the fillets, so I cut them all in half and pressure cooked them in water at 12 psi for 40 minutes. This softened all the bones real well. I drained off the water, which I dumped. Now I see that I should have kept at least some of it for a nice fish stock. This smelled really great when cooking, which should have been my clue. Anyway, I ran it all through the coarsest blade on my meat grinder, and my old dog and cat really like it as a supplement to their regular diets. I was a little bit concerned that the bones might remain sharp, but they are so soft that they are no danger. The food looks and smells so good I wouldn't be afraid to mix some up with mayo and eat a sandwich made from it. These fish were all gutted and headed on the boat while we dipnetted, and put on ice right away. Lots of work, but the end products sure are excellent eating!
    Best Regards,
    Jim

I found a use for them other than fish stock and soup.

I smoked them. Yeah, so obvious that my daughter had to suggest it.

Soaked in brine then smoke them up and the meat comes right off the bones. Perfect size for blending into a dip.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I like the fish stock&soup, love bilder's smoking suggestion esp if flesh is left on the bones. Once saw workers at a commercial packing house scraping meat off carcasses, and the same place sold salmon burgers. Now the wife and I scrape the bones of all poorly filleted fish. Freeze in 1 cup portions. Great as burgers, salmon loaf, w scrambled eggs, in omelets and salads.

I have used them as a snack during processing. Throw the carcass in the oven for a few minutes then you can pick all the leftover meat off with a fork while you wrap your fillets. High volume dipnetting you end up with too many though.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.