Thread: female hunting gear in anchorage??????????????

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default female hunting gear in anchorage??????????????

Need to get my nearly 15 year old weed some hunting gear for her caribou hunt this fall... stopped my Mt view on lod seward... NOTHING... who is in town here i can find stuff for her? mens small is still to large but she is nearly done growing so i am looking for decent stuff she can wear all fall....she has caribou and moose tags to fill this year.. so want to make her comfortable...

already been on line to cabelisa and bass pro... been in their stores this year too... fig fat SQUAT!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good luck. If you find anything, let me know. My wife just uses all of her other outdoor gear. It's actually fine that way - camo is overrated for most hunting purposes - but it's frustrating how little is available out there for women hunters.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks Brian i have already consoled myself to that fact... i just don't know where to go down here for lady/girls clothes

usually hit beaver sports in Fairbanks spendy though... kiddo is just about done growing, so i guess some Mt hardware, OR, or arcterix stuff would be in order.. i would love to get my hands on some small sitka gear... but i already know the answer to that. even though it is camo i have been wearing the heck out of mine since x mas to know it in varying conditions.... i like it..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Steepandcheap.com has some good women's gear from time to time, but you've got to watch for it.

yep, I ordered most of the wifes base layer gear from Steep and Cheap. That and sierra trading post keep us pretty well outfitted w/ good stuff on the cheap (realitively speaking)

AMH and REI both have good stuff.

Similar to Brian, my wife also uses her outdoor gear for hunting. Most of her stuff has come from REI and AMH. She also got a set of Extra Small Helly Henson rain gear from Mt. View, but even that is too big. Her Mt. Hardware, OR and Marmot gear works just fine. Heck, more often than not that is the type of gear that I wear, too.

SHEsafari???

REI would likely be your best bet for in-stock stuff. Careful on getting sucked into steepandcheap, whiskeymilitia, chainlove, camofire, tramdock, etc, etc.... ARGHHH!!!!

I'd give REI a whirl... most likely to have decent gear in stock if you skip camo as a requirement. I also think camo is overrated for the most part if you can stick to earth toned gear.

Haven't shopped AMH but I hear good things. In FbX I just hit Beaver sports- spendy but its one stop shopping.

I thought I saw some, maybe SW in Wasilla. Call 'em up?
    If not, an LL Bean Hunting catalog recently had "Performance hunting apparel just for women". Here's a link:
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/search?sto...+for+women&Go=

i found some rain gear at the new full curl archery shop today... they are carrying the SHE apparel line... not a lot there but some i think she'll like... some good togs to go underneath and she will be ready to fly in next month

meet on face book here

Try Bass Pro Shops. There's a link to "Ladies Hunting Clothing."

Vince, good to know they carry the SHE line. Might have to see if the little lady likes any of it...

Vince, keep an eye out on Sierra Trading Post. They sell some decent outdoor clothing at very reasonable prices. I think just about all of my AK hunting clothes came from there, and no single piece cost over 50 beans. I bought most of my stuff back in 2001, and haven't had to replace it yet! I only get 7-12 days hunting Alaska every fall, but use the same clothes out here from October through January, and all of my fleece stuff is still going strong.

When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Have you tried ebay? I don't know what they have as far as girls/ladies hunting gear, but you can find killer deals on patagonia, north face, etc., they even have arcterix. Obviously the best deals will be pre-owned BUT sometimes you can find new gear for a good price too. It's best if you already know exactly what you are looking for as far as size, brand so you don't get stuck with something too big/too small. I have managed to snag a few used but in perfect condition Patagonia R1 pullovers (by far my favorite article of clothing I own!) ranging from $12-$20 and they retail for over $100.

Rei and amh are not geared twards hunters. Go with cabelas they have womens camo and non camo hunting clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskadianhunter View Post
    Rei and amh are not geared twards hunters.
    But their products work extremely well for hunters....

That may be true, I have had bad experiences' at both amh and rei. REI just makes me feel uncomfortable being in the store. You can get all of the same stuff from Bob and the guys over at Barney's. What you cant get at Barney's you can get at cabelas or sportmans.

Interesting response alaskadian... I'm about as middle of the road/borderline redneck as they come and REI runs a fairly tight ship. I might not agree with the worldviews of most of the employees, however they stock quality items, have good service, no questions asked returns, and I get 10%+ back in cash every year. What's not to like?

Don't feel obligated to respond, I'm just really surprised at your comments. Barney's stocks VERY little compared to the hippie stores.