Thread: First bear trip to Alaska

Default First bear trip to Alaska

Hello,

I am working on my first spring brown bear hunt. We will be hunting unit 16 B in the Dickason Mt. area. Has anyone hunted there, if so what was it like. Were you successful. Thanks for any advice.

what time of year are you going? whos' your outfitter and what did they tell you to expect? give us something to work with and we might be able to add insight to what you've got already.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks Brownbr, We will be hunting in mid may and Willow Air will be taking care of us. My partner and I like to do things on our own if possible, but as you know we can't do this with brown bear. We are still trying to make this trip feel as if it is an unguided hunt. I have read every book and watched every bear hunt that I can find, but I would still like to hear from hunters that have actually been there, done that.

Thanks

Still not clear if you're guided or not......?

If guided, no doubt your guide/outfitter knows the area they'll be taking you. Listen to his/her advise, make freinds with the guide, trust the guide, and let the guide do his job.
    Afterall, I've yet to know any guide that doesn't throughly enjoy the grand reward of having thier client harvest a nice trophy! (this is THE underlying aspect of what keeps guides ticking)

If its a non-guided trip, keep researching............

One thing to keep in mind, most of unit 16 is within an hour, or so, plane ride from Alaska's largest metropolitian area, Anchorage. By Alaska standards unit 16 is not remote, fairly easy, fast & cheap access.

Buying a hunting trip, or choosing a location, is no a lot different than buying any other comodity or service; generally you get what you pay for, "good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good".

Best of luck to you guys. Keep an open mind, hunt hard, hunt smart, enjoy the trip, and no doubt the overall experince will be very sucsessful!

Bear hunting advice:

1) Sit on your *** (ryhmes w/ glass) and GLASS.

2) Don't go stinking up the place, find a good vantage point and work that glass!

3) Glass until your eye's hurt, and then glass some more.

4) Use that spotting scope, GLASS for tracks, dens, birds, and bears. Black birds will alert you to a posible kill or other [bear] food source.

5) LOTS of daylight that time of year, don't be afraid to "start" a 2-3 hour stock late in the afternoon/evening. Watch the wind, ck it often, never be caught w/ any type of circling down wind breeze.

6) Work that GLASS

7) Stay UPWIND at all times of the bears. Bears have a nose that is second to none. If a Bear "thinks" he might have smelled something odd, he'll run away and you'll never see him again.

8) Sit and GLASS, don't get "grass is greener on the other side" sydrom after 3-4 days, find a good vantage point, set-up your optic's and glass until your eyes bleed.

9) Stay consistant with proven Bear hunting methods, its easy to doubt yourself after 3-4 days of not seeing anything. The worst thing you can do is go stink-up the area. Stay put at your good vantage point and work that glass.
    The Swarovski spotting scopes are about as good as it gets....don't be fooled by people who poo-poo the best scope because of cost. If you don't have a good spotting scope, go buy one, this is the single best piece of equipment you can have on a Bear hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron_Lamb View Post
    Bear hunting advice:

1) Sit on your *** (ryhmes w/ glass) and GLASS.

2) Don't go stinking up the place, find a good vantage point and work that glass!

3) Glass until your eye's hurt, and then glass some more.

4) Use that spotting scope, GLASS for tracks, dens, birds, and bears. Black birds will alert you to a posible kill or other [bear] food source.

5) LOTS of daylight that time of year, don't be afraid to "start" a 2-3 hour stock late in the afternoon/evening. Watch the wind, ck it often, never be caught w/ any type of circling down wind breeze.

6) Work that GLASS

7) Stay UPWIND at all times of the bears. Bears have a nose that is second to none. If a Bear "thinks" he might have smelled something odd, he'll run away and you'll never see him again.

8) Sit and GLASS, don't get "grass is greener on the other side" sydrom after 3-4 days, find a good vantage point, set-up your optic's and glass until your eyes bleed.

9) Stay consistant with proven Bear hunting methods, its easy to doubt yourself after 3-4 days of not seeing anything. The worst thing you can do is go stink-up the area. Stay put at your good vantage point and work that glass.
    The Swarovski spotting scopes are about as good as it gets....don't be fooled by people who poo-poo the best scope because of cost. If you don't have a good spotting scope, go buy one, this is the single best piece of equipment you can have on a Bear hunt.
    Its all about glassing when hunting bears!Wouldnt you agree Byron?

i think byron meant stay DOWN WIND at all times...but i wasn't sure..to busy glassing.
    Master guide 212

Thanks, Brwnbr.....geeee whizzzz. I must have been too "focused"..

weren't seen real "clear" huh?!
    Master guide 212

Thanks guys, You have just reinforced what I have been reading, that is get up high and glass, keep your scent contained. I will have to work hard at this, I have been a whitetail stalker all my life, I like to see what's on the other side. I know 16 is probably going to have more traffic but I also feel there must be some basis to the fact that they have increased the limit to two bears. I don't know, I am still going to have a blast while I'm there.
    Thanks again, really appreciate the help. Paul

Well ya don't gotta be high to glass, you need to be in postion to access everything you see, if your high, chances are your looking across something..then you've gotta go down, then up. find a spot lower and glass up, that way you have the access advantage on the game. bears dont' care where the bullets come from...least not yet.
    Master guide 212