Thread: Granite Creek/East Fork 6 Mile Beta Needed

Default Granite Creek/East Fork 6 Mile Beta Needed

I'm looking for information (time, wood hazards, etc) re. floating Granite Creek from the campground along the Seward Hwy into the East Fork of 6 Mile and taking out prior to the first canyon on 6 Mile. I've been curious about this section as it's relatively close to Anchorage and a bike shuttle via the paved trail would be easy. I'd be in a 15' self-bailer. This might be a fun trip with out of town visitors

I've been through the 3 canyons of 6 Mile with Nova and had a blast, but I'm not willing to take it on with passengers.....at low water with some experienced boaters and the approprioate rescue gear I might be tempted

I floated this on Monday, July 19th. I put in underneath the Seward Hwy bridge just upstream of the Granite Creek campground and took out just above the first canyon on Six Mile. It's an easy class I/II float with no real hazards (sweepers/strainers) as of the day I floated it. I ended up floating it alone with my 2 labs and shuttled via bike on the 4 mile paved trail along the road. Looks like some good water to fish once the silvers are upstream next month.

Putting in upstream at Bertha Creek or Turnagain Pass would be another option in a smaller boat, but I chose the shorter route/shuttle.