Thread: Lake fishing in Anchorage for a 4 year old...

Default Lake fishing in Anchorage for a 4 year old...

I've got a four year old daughter who loves to fish. I've taken her out a few times this year and she hasn't got one yet. I think I've just gone to the wrong lakes - lakes where they killed off the pike and stocked it with fish too small to catch yet. Where in town can I take her where we can cast from shore and she'll still have a shot of landing a keeper? I'm grateful for any recommendations out there. Thanks.

The little lake by kincaid park turn right just as you enter has catchable rainbows in it not big, but big enough to get the hook in there mouth. It has a dock and shore right by the parking lot that provides plenty of elbow room most nights bring some bug spray. A single salmon egg on a bobber or a small fly should work.

That would be Little Campbell Lake. Take her for a little hike around the right side of the lake. About 1/2 way down there is a nice spot and about 3/4 of the way there is a great spot. Throw out around the lily pads. There are a bunch of very small but exciting fish for a 4 yesr old. I have been one of the adopt a park folks out there for some years now and take my 5 and 6 year old grandkids out there all the time. Most of the fish are smallish Arctic Char this year, but they are a blast for the kids to catch. It is a great place to teach them catch and release as they can catch many more than their limits.
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 07-18-2010 at 16:40. Reason: can't spell worth a $%^!

Jewel lake would be nice too, bring a can o' corn, most inexpensive trout bait 'round...

#8 circle hooks + meal worms = smiley face. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Concur on Kincaid Park. I live on Fort Rich and Clunie Lake is also great to keep kids entertained with rainbows. I think you can get on post to fish it by stopping at the main gate to Fort Rich- tell them you need a USATRAK pass. I use a canoe on Clunie, usually all to ourselves on the water. Nightcrawlers/red worms under a bobber are my "secret" bait, at the right time you can literally have a bite every cast.