Thread: buying a bow sight unseen???

Question buying a bow sight unseen???

Should someone buy a bow that they have never held or shot?

I ask this question because I will be buying a new bow soon, in the next few months. Bowtech has a great military discount on their Captains for guys that are deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan. Im in Iraq and I hesitate to buy a bow without handling it first, but I do not have this option if I want to take advantage of the deal.

2010 Captain with the OMD Accessory Package and 4 arrows. Accessories include a Hostage capture arrow rest, 4-arrow quiver, braided sling, 3-pin fiber optic sight, peep sight, and 4-inch camo stabilizer: $625.00 delivered.

Ah the joys of sending off for a "mail order bride" :-) Seriously, try some of the archery forums and ask for feedback from people who own one. Be a "polite pest" with your questions and get as much information as you can, if all sounds good click the Buy Now button and go for it. If it turns out that it's not a good fit for you then it may be for one of your buddies or sell it when you get home.
    If you do get it I hope it fits you well. Take care and come home safe and whole.

Default resale

Yes, buy if if you can resell it for same $$ without taking a bath. Save the box, plastic and destructions so you can sell it as "new".

It sure sounds like a good deal.

Fitting a bow is such a personal thing that I'd never buy one I hadn't shot; but that's me; I'm picky.

For example, I used about 15 different releases in a nice bow shop, and ended up buying the one that I visually (before shooting) liked the very least. But it felt the most natural, and that's more important than anything I think.

I have bought some bows, generally used ones, sight unseen. But I had a good idea of what I wanted, and was prepared to resell a bow if it didn't pan out. So here's my take:

If you know about this bow, and it sounds like what you want, I wouldn't worry too much about buying it unseen. The Captain is a high performance bow with a good reputation. If you are not a relatively experienced archer, I would advise to wait until you can put hands on lots of different bows, rather than taking a chance sight unseen.

Also, I've seen some of the accessories that come on these package bows - haven't specifically seen the Bowtech setups. They tend to be very "entry" level accessories. Functional, but not real high performance. Here, if you don't really know what you want, they will get you shooting while you research which rest and/or sight you might eventually want. I have bought a couple fully equipped bows for my wife, and we wound up replacing the rests and sights on both bows, for higher performance items.

If you are going to be home soon, I'd wait to try some bows. Sounds like you may know a bunch of this stuff already, but that's my 2 cents worth.

I ordered the bow package.

Thanks for the advice. I have done alot of research and think this is a very good bow, expecially for the price. I currently shoot a 2000 model Hoyt Aspen, a very functional bow, and I have killed several deer with it. However, its been time to upgrade for a couple years now but I kept buying too many rifles! So, now its time to re-focus on archery....

Proposed set-up:
    RipCord rest (own)
    Spot-Hogg Hunter, wrapped 5-pin small guard, with .019 pins. (will purchase)
    True-Fire Hurricane release (own)
    Limbsaver string leach and dampeners (own)
    Gold Tip 75/95's (that are included in the pkg)
    FOBs (will purchase)
    Muzzy 125 4-blade (own)

How does all this sound? Any other suggestions?

Sounds like a tight set-up to me! I assume you are shooting at least 60 lb, or perhaps 70, for the 75/95s. FOBs have a huge following, so they clearly work. Two big drawbacks when I shot them: 1- I didn't like the FOB touching my cheek. Could probably get used to it, but... 2- I suspect it's easier to lose arrows after pass-throughs, and nocks as well - you might not want to use lighted nocks. Perhaps I'm wrong, and the nocks are easy to find. But folks tell me the FOBs are much less affected by cross-winds.

Good luck with your new hot rod!