Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog in trap

Default Dog in trap

We found a dog with a trap on it's foot this morning. Don't know the owner of the dog or the trap. Dog will probably lose it's leg. People need to pickup their traps in spring. I don't know what the law is but this trap was **** close to our subdivision. It could be people were trying to trap dogs but the trap is rusty like it's been out since spring. Pretty frustrating morning I'm pro trapping but my fence sitting wife is firmly an anti trapping side now.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

im sorry to hear that its things like this that give trappers a bad name but people must also understand it is also the fault of the dog owner for not following leash laws but i fully agree there should not be traps around a subdivision and even if the trap is in the feild during the off season it should be disarmed.

Aren't traps supposed to have trappers info on them?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Then again..... could have been set for that dog...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Then again..... could have been set for that dog...
    OK, JKB, your wanting to pin this on the trapper. What about the dog? I'm guessing the dog was running free. Does that seem right? Do dog owners bear any responsibility to keep their dog under control?
    Sure, trappers should pick there traps up. Maybe the trapper died before the season was over??
    I think we have 2 parties to blame here. Trappers should pick up traps. Dog owners should legally restrain their dogs.
    Takes 2 mistakes to get a dog into a trap.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Well MT I guess I should have put this in the Salt water fishing fourm. You don't have to lecture me about irresponsible pet owners as my hood seems to be a great dumping ground for unwanted pets. This well cared for dog was laying on the road with a trap on her leg not 150 yds from my house. My grandkids play in the woods where the dog was laying. If it had been one of them in the trap there would be a whole community up in arms against trapping. It would not matter if a trapper set the trap or an idiot trying to catch dogs. Either way the trap should not have been there.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

kinda off topic but not really....is it illegal in this state to set traps or snares for nuisance animals that are killing your livestock(chickens rabbits, ducks) in an area not otherwise closed to trapping....i think most animal control shelters will let you rent live traps but can you use foot holds or snares or whatever for the same purpose...in the same manner can you legally shoot an animal wild or domestic as dlp......jkb what kind of trap was it?.....are there folks around with that typed of livestock that they may be protecting?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I'll settle this debate. It's neither the trappers fault, nor is it the fault of the dog owner.

It's the DOG'S fault!! He's the dummy that stepped in the trap

In a world where no one wants responsibility for their actions, I think this dog should mutt up and admit it's his fault. He's probably trying to blame it on his mother for licking antifreeze when he was a pup. Or his owner for making him go outside to pee.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Either way the trap should not have been there.
    I'll agree with that statement. But just for a second lets examine statistics. How many kids have been injured in Alaska by improperly set traps? I believe statistics would show a big fat 0.
    How many kids have been injured in Alaska by loose dogs. Again, statictics would show quite a few. So going on these same statistics, do forgotten, improperly set traps or loose dogs present the greater danger to your children?
    I'll disagree that the dog was well cared for. it would have never gotten far enough away from home/owner, to get in the trap in the first place if it had been.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

We realy don't know much about what happened here. It could be that the dog just happened pop a snap or escape when a child opened a door. It doesn't sound like the dog is a common stray.

Unfortunatly there are a lot of iresponsible people out there and some of them trap. A while back I stepped in a trap that was set right next to a popular fishing spot. My foot was big enough that it spanned the jaws of the trap, but if one of the children that frequent the spot had stepped in it they could have been seriously hurt.
    anyway just another instance of the few tarnishing the majority.

yes, it may have been irresponsible to lay the trap were it was, but you also must know that there is laws to keep your dog on a leash...so in all cases this isnt just the trappers fault, it falls both ways..

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

lbtrapper - technically, that's not true. The law doesn't in fact say that dogs need to be on a leash, in the Municipality of Anchorage it is required that you have control of your dog at all times. According to Anchorage animal control "Control means to simultaneously monitor, direct, and restrict an animal's movement and activities. Control can be verbal, visual (hand signals), physical, leash, kennel, fence, harness and even an electric collar. There is no state-wide leash law in Alaska Statute, it is up to the localities to establish and enforce.

Frostbitten,
    i do stand corrected..you are right.
    the point im trying to get across is that there is both sides to blame..
    obviously there wasnt an owner around with the dog so it was running freely
    but it is also the trappers fault for not picking up his trap.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Right on lbtrapper. I hope my post didn't come across as confrontational, as it certainly wasn't intended to be. I agree with you completely, there is no sole responsibility or blame in this instance.

Not at all..
    i understand what you mean.
    i think we all realize that both parties need to be responicable in this situation

Without being there and knowing the exact details of the incident it is hard to pin blame on anyone and either way it would not do any good. I think 10% of people in any sport are idiots who give others a bad name. I am an advid duck hunter and I fear the day my lab gets caught in a trap left from the previous season or set in a bad place by an idiot. My lab came within inches of getting snared last late fall while going duck hunting-some knucklehead set a snare within a foot of the main entry trail to a public hunting area. This is wrong.

I enjoy trapping as much as the next guy. Traps DO NOT belong near public accesses and common use areas. I and the trappers I know always get off the beaten path before setting a line and I wish others would do the same. FYI-I nearly put my foot in a trap last week while I was up north in a burn area. Good thing the area had burned or I would not have seen it before I stepped in it. It was less than 50 ft from a main road-lazy trapper. Maybe the guy died-$40 worth of trap and hook for me anyways.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

ADUKHNT,
    If you took that trap, it's against the law. Now if you would have reported that trap to the troopers and they took it because it was illegally set, that is a different story. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    ADUKHNT,
    If you took that trap, it's against the law. Now if you would have reported that trap to the troopers and they took it because it was illegally set, that is a different story. FYI

yep just because a trap is illegally set doesnt make it up for grabs and yours to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Aren't traps supposed to have trappers info on them?
    No, traps do not have to have trapper info on or near them.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I don't know what the law is but this trap was **** close to our subdivision.
    HUH, I thought you were a trapper there 1SG.... I want my trap back if you got it. That dog was pissing me off!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast