Thread: Need help with a goat hunt??

Default Need help with a goat hunt??

I need a list of guides that do the coastal goat hunts. Does anyone have a clue how many there are? I have been dreaming of a hunt of this kind for many many years. If you can give a name or any info ,please throw me a bone. Thanks from SW Pa.

Do you have an idea where you would like to hunt goats in AK; SEAK, South-central, Kodiak?

You're talking about a large area and for someone to build that list for you would chew up full day no doubt. Give us an idea what part of Alaska and cost you're willing to spend and perhaps we can get you started in the right direction.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I didn't know there were so many options . I would like the boat to be the base camp ,will spike if need be. The hunt will be for 2 and the long hair is what I would like . We have been saving for this hunt since the last hunt for moose ,a diy in 2005.For a good hunt we'll spend what ever it takes and stay as long as we have to.This might be my last hunt in Alaska. If it was your dream hunt were would you start looking, areas, guides what ever .And thank you for your time and nohow.

Goats are found along the coast from Southeast Alaska below Juneau and up the coast all the way to Kodiak. In-land, you can find goats in the Chagach range in places, but many folks consider them a coastal animal. The later in the year, the longer the hair, so October tends to be a popular time to hunt. Kodiak Island has a healthy goat population. Many of the goat hunts are "drawing" hunts, and you have to apply in the winter. With the minimal information you have given, it appears you are looking for "registration" hunts only. Fish and Game has some pretty good information for you to review to narrow down where you want to hunt. Once you have a Game management area pegged down the folks here may be able to better help answer your questions.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Check with http://www.idohuntak.com/ Heard alot of good about him. When I get to looking for a goat guide I will be calling him.

BRWNBR here on the forums has Kodiak experience, he may be worth a shot. I have never heard a negative thing from any of his clients and my very in shape buddy hunted w/ him last year on Kodiak(not paid just two guys hunting). For a change BRWNBR got to actually do some hunting and arrowed a nice billy. According to my buddy the guy is "an animal" in the mountains. There is a pic around here somewhere of him carrying his pack with his clients pack strapped to it.

If you want coastal SE Alaska try Johnnie Laird in Ketchikan.

www.muskegexcursions.com/

Thanks for all the info guys.Keep them coming ,the more the better .
    I have to say this site has made my past alaska hunts [01,03,05]all diy, possible .Thanks to all.