Thread: Finally scored a new Canoe

Default Finally scored a new Canoe

Picked up a used Mad River Explorer off of Craigs yesterday. Should do everything I want a canoe to do. Its a little heavier than desired, but definitely manageable, and has a comfortable yoke for portaging. I am curious to see how it does solo. This is my first Royalex canoe, and it seems pretty tuff. Anyone know of a good oil/stain to be applied to the wood gunwales?

I also put oar locks on my Old Town discovery 13'. These came with the canoe when I first purchased it, but oars didnt sound appealing at the time. Now I cant wait to try them out.

DSCF0515.jpgDSCF0516.jpg

Looks super sweet to me. I really like the oar set-up for the Old Town. I have a suggestion for an overnight float with the OT. PM if interested.

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

Those are both nice looking setups, I really like the looks of that Mad River, how long is that? and can I ask what you got it for $$??
    I ask with hesitation, as I just paid for a New Mad River Explorer 14, got it for 750$ on a sale. I watched Craigslist for quite a while sure something would come up but there were no MR's to be had this spring, Now it seems since I bought mine there have now been two Mad Rivers listed and sold

Actually I REALLY like my Explorer 14, it was the only size I could go for in my situation. But I think yours looks like a Beauty.

As for your woodwork, some of the comm fish guys get tired of trying to keep Varnish on their boats (always out and working) in this climate, it only lasts well if you put multiple coats and keep touching it up, lots of work tho it looks gorgeous. I can't recall the name of the stuff (I'll find it and post later) but there is one type oil for wood that really lasts well, otherwise you might think of sanding and just oiling the wood, using normal Teak oil or something similar (do you know what kind of wood that is?)rather than trying to keep Varnish on. It keeps the wood from graying or cracking up and is really easy to reapply. Could do it with a rag, wipe off excess, back on the water. Do it a few times a year if it's out in the weather all the time.
    Have Fun Out There, You're Set Up Big Time
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Sent ya PM's.

kodiakrain, if you think of that oil I'd be interested. I have some linseed oil from doing gun stocks. I was think of sanding, and oiling, but fear it will soak it up to no end and darken the wood. I have no idea what kind of wood it is, but thinking a call to MR might sort it out.

I assume the varnish you are talking about, is just an oil-base outdoor varnish, or is there some for marine applications? Applied with a brush?

Oh, BTW its a 16'

Thanks, Tom

the mad river is a beauty, good score. i have treated my gunnels with spar varnish, two 'spit coats' first, that being varnish thinned 50/50 with spirits, then multiple full-strength layers. still seems to flake off after three years or so, but the penetrative layers seem to still protect the wood. also tried the old timers fix for wood or leather, 50/50 beeswax and linseed oil. you have to warm it a little (or rub it in hard) to apply. i was told to do this once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for life. maybe more poetry than practicality, but i like the soft, natural finish it gave me.

Thanks for the help. Is "spar varnish" just outdoor oil-based varnish? I went to Home Depot today and asked for Marine Grade Spar Varnish and just got the deer in the headlights thing.

Im thinking this is gonna be a cool project.

Go to AIH or a real paint store they will be happy to help you out.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Tom, the alternative to heavy Varnish that I mentioned is called Cetol, made by Sikkens. Some guys swear it is easier and longer lasting than straight spar varnish, you should try it on something else or find a sample of the results (some paint or marine stores will have this painted on a stir stick to show the end result) as it does turn the wood a bit of an off near orange color. Just a bit off natural but you may not like it.
    Otherwise as Dirtysteev says about Spar Varnish, is the right way to do it and protects pretty well if kept up. I have had a few wood working boats and used this on the rails. I found just a little slacking off on the maintenance (on spots that get banged) is where it will peel or chip away right away, if water gets underneath the original coats. This was near impossible on a working boat so Varnish was really a yearly overhaul job which is why guys do the Cetol thing no matter what it looks like.
    But if you keep on those spots where the varnish coat is damaged and do a light sand and recoat every year (shouldn't be so hard to do when you put a canoe away at years end) it will not only keep the orignial color of the wood but keep a good coat on there for years. You can't skip a year tho...or blow off nicks down to the wood, for later or you'll end resanding all the way down to wood again, Uuggghh

Hope you remember to post pics of your project finale, I have a feeling that wood will really look nice on there.

You could also use Epoxy as a coating, I recently wanted to beef up my wood paddle, super thin Bending Branches type, feels a little too lightwt. so I put a fairly thick coat of 2-part Epoxy, dried nice, clear and Rock Hard, you could whack it with a Ballpeen and probably not even dent the coating. For that little amt of wood that could be an option. It's Epoxy for Fiberglass repair, worth looking into, brand name "MAS" Epoxy Systems, could work really cool for railing on a Canoe to be tough like that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks Al. I did some digging and it looks like Mad River uses ash for their wooden gunwales. They also recommend an oil vs a varnish due to the flexing of the gunwales (I didn't think about that). Gunwale Guard is what they make. If I cant find the gunwale guard locally, I might end up trying the Cetol.

I use Watco oil on my canoe rails. Home depot sold it a few years ago when I bought it last.

Nice canoe!

Thanks for the tip, hows it hold up?

Hey man, Ace Hardware in Huffman I know for sure carries Penofin oil. We use it on our high end decks we build with Ipe. Penofin is made from Brazillian Rosewood oil. It penetrates deep and does very well. Sand it rough. Oil heavy and let it sit. Wipe off puddles. Give a second coat the next day. It will get a translucent look to it. Will need every year, but no pealing and just keeps soaking in. Different colors to choose from. Transparent should be fine, what we use I believe. Has color to it, but looks awesome.