Thread: Kasilof South Bank illegal fishing

Default Kasilof South Bank illegal fishing

I was on the bluff across from the south bank of the Kasilof yesterday at an ADF&G retirement party for a past co-worker. We could see the south shore of the Kasilof River and the biologists pointed out that lots of people on shore were fishing in closed waters. I assume they will report to protection on Monday so if you are down there and see people fishing outside the markers let them know. I am sure it makes no sense to them to have to fish upstream of the markers and not downstream but the ADF&G and BOF set it up that way. Frankly, I did not realize it until they pointed it out. So be careful. We do not want people to get tickets for having some fun.

There may be some confusion as to which markers mark the area. The Cook inlet Personal Use Fishery page for Kasilof shows two maps: one for the personal use gillnet and one for the personal use dipnet areas. Boaters have to stay within the same area as bankers.

~tr

There was ZERO law enforcement down there when I was there. I doubt they care.

Matt, Talked with two Law enforcement from the Peninsula this week. Every other day is uniformed/undercover. There were also over 700 undercover hours put into the dipnet fishery last year. Makes a person wonder?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Same with the north beach.

Lots of folks are fishing outside of the legal area simply because they confuse the set net marker buoy for the dip net marker. All the dippers have is a little sign for a marker and some miss it thinking the buoy is the correct marker. Would be nice if F&G would place a warning sign down where most folks park.

Trooper was down there yesterday informing folks of the proper marker.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....