Thread: Sandhill cranes Matsu

Default Sandhill cranes Matsu

Where is a good place in the Mat-su area for a total newbie to go for Sandhill cranes? Also, when in the year do you go? I havent bird hunted except for grouse.

I have no idea, but you certainly have opened up an idea for me. No restrictions on archery equipment for sandhills and they are delicious eating. I've eaten a couple out in western Alaska and they are excellent.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I just did a little research. It looks like their major migration takes place up north through Delta and the Tanana Valley. There are local breeding pairs of cranes in the Mat-Su Valley, but it looks like the chances are slim to see any major groupings of cranes in the fall in the Mat-Su.

I personally see large groups of cranes in my area in the spring, but I can't remember seeing groups in the fall in our area.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You can find them near the new hospital, on the experimental tree farm, owned by the state. Don't know about if it is legal to hunt there but w/a shotgun, you are within the law on the firearm special use area, IF-- you have a hunter safety card.
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 07-19-2010 at 11:33. Reason: cause I can
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    You can find them near the new hospital, on the experimental tree farm, owned by the state.
    Haven't seen those guys in at least the last three weeks or so...I think they've moved on.

No. They're still around. They won't leave till early September.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    No. They're still around. They won't leave till early September.
    I was seeing them regularly off of trunk road in the morning and evenings, they must have changed their schedule so I don't see them during my commute.

I've seen many of them this year near my house. Could have blasted a hand full of them but wasn't sure if the regs for unit 14. I've heard they are amazing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Usually see a few in the fall up petersville road.

There are birds working from the fields over in the Butte to the sandbars out on the Knik river. If you contact some of the farmers, they may allow you to hunt their fields. The other trick is to try and intercept them out past Reflection Lake as they drop down into the riverbed.

I've seen them in the ACWR in the past, in fact that is where I shot my first one years ago. As stated earlier, the majority of the birds pass north of here and east of here on their way to the Klamath Valley in Washington. Hunting an ag parcel will likely give you your best chance. Find a grain field or a pea field and you may have a chance, otherwise take the road trip to Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    I've seen many of them this year near my house. Could have blasted a hand full of them but wasn't sure if the regs for unit 14. I've heard they are amazing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 a day if you are in an area open to hunting beginning September 1.

Point Mac. Talk to a farmer. As a kid we would see them landing in the field. Then with the wind rows we could drive down other side of the wind row and sneak over it to get at the cranes. Maybe not the most sporting but we were teenagers.