Thread: Kids and Salmon fishing

Default Kids and Salmon fishing

I'm looking for a place to take my son for salmon, he's 6 and pretty decent with a light weight spinning reel. I've checked out Hope and plan on hitting it during the upcoming week with him (a little up from the mouth, maybe in the mud a little but don't really need waders for him). While silvers are a blast, I'm thinking they may be a little much for a 6 yr old, pinks seem like the right target. This sound about right? Any insight on kids and salmon fishing appreciated.

I can't think of anything better than a thick run of pinks to get a kid interested. Also check out Upper and Lower Paradise Lake. You could have the good folks at Scenic Mountain Air in Moosepass fly you in and stay at the cabin for a day or two. A boat is provided. Wish I could have spent a few nights at a remote cabin with my dad when I was six. Catching a few hundred grayling would have been a blast back then. This would be a fun trip for sure and the scenery is outstanding from the images I have seen. Still haven't been myself, but it has been on my radar for some time. Either way, your kid is lucky to have you.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

When the fish are in at Bird Creek its not bad either. I took my kids down last year when they were 3 and 6 course they were more interested in playing in the mud than fishing hehe. When I take my kids to bird creek I leave Anchorage at Bird Creeks high tide time that way when I get there the tide is already out and I don't have to worry about scrambling my kids out of the mud with the tide coming in.

When you go to hope, park right at the turn to "down town". If you cut straight through the woods there is a nice gravel bar you can fish from all day long without waders or boots. It is the perfect spot to teach people how to fish for salmon.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Thanks for the info. Will definitely be hitting Hope over the next week or so. Have been mulling a fly in, the USFS cabins sound like a great idea... will let you know if I give them a try.