Thread: New to ocean fishing

Default New to ocean fishing

I recently inherited an older hewescraft searunner and have taken it out in the lake a few times to make sure it runs. I'm ready to try it in the ocean, probably Seward, but have never really fished this way before. I was hoping to find some rock fish and maybe some small halibut not too far out. Any advice on tactics, gear and locations would be much appriciated. Thanks in advance

If you decide to come down to Homer look me up. If I have some free time I'd be happy to get together with you and help you out. There are a lot of things about plunking for butt and/or trolling/mooching for salmon that are more easily shown than explained in a post like this and I'd be more than happy to show you how I do things---rigging, technique, etc.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks, once i grow a little more confident in the boat I plan to come to Homer for sure.

Hey Jeff, regarding fishing the Seward area, you may already know, but watch out for winds kicking up in the afternoon coming back in to the harbor. About fishing, we got pretty lucky on our own at Fox Island a few years ago slow trolling herring & T spoons. Didn't have any decent electronics, just putted around and got the gear down using the divers guys use on the Kenai trolling for kings as we did not have down riggers. Ended up with 14 silvers but came in late in the afternoon and got smacked good by wind/rain; we were in a 16/17' Almar with a 40 hp. Pretty underpowered, especially with (3) 200 lb guys, kicker motor, cooler, ice, fish, etc.

Just keep getting out there pending weather and make sure you've got good communications (radio, cell, etc) and someone knows where you're going and when to expect you back (can file a float plan prior to leaving the harbor)

Good luck! Jim

It might be worth your learning curve to hire a charter captain (if they'd even be willing) to go out on YOUR boat and show you the ropes, I've been doing ocean fishing in the sound for 4 years now, and I'm just now starting to have a clue. Lots of trial and error, mostly error.
    And a lot of reading.

Muttley's right, one hour with somebody who knows what they're doing is worth several days of trying to figure it out. Reading just doesnt convey what you really need.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    It might be worth your learning curve to hire a charter captain (if they'd even be willing) to go out on YOUR boat and show you the ropes, I've been doing ocean fishing in the sound for 4 years now, and I'm just now starting to have a clue. Lots of trial and error, mostly error.
    And a lot of reading.

Muttley's right, one hour with somebody who knows what they're doing is worth several days of trying to figure it out. Reading just doesnt convey what you really need.
    Well, I'm a charter captain and I'd be more than happy to help you if you'd like to "hire" me for the day. I've actually done that with someone before.

Seward really isn't any "less difficult" a place to "get a little more confident" in your boat than Homer is. I have fished Resurrection Bay for about 18 years and Homer just as long and when it comes to weather they really aren't much different---you can read that as "unpredictable". So my offer still stands. If you'd like some simple pointers before you go out and I have the time I'd be more than happy to help you out there. Or if you would like to just "hire" me for the day I'd be happy to do that, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com