Thread: Milepost 123.8 thru 130 of parks highway trails...questions?

Default Milepost 123.8 thru 130 of parks highway trails...questions?

Hello all

I have driven past this stretch of the road now twice on the way up to denali (yuck) but that is whole different story. Anyhow here is the atv trail questions for the board

There are about 4 trailheads up between this stretch of road. this is after petersville road and before troublesome creek. anyway the question i have is what are these trails? What is the names? how far back do they travel? Is this a trail that will offer all day fun or does it simply head in a mile or two to someones cabin? The trail heads look very well established that is why i am interested and hope people can give me some insight on these trails before wasting the gas going up find out they are nothing. Thanks and look forward to hearing from everyone on these trails. Also do these trails which seem only miles apart intertwine with each other......
    Thanks all for the info

I have friends who have cabins in that area. The trails on the west side are more for winter use, as they end up into large bogs pretty quickly. So, I doubt you'd get very far heading out that way, and probably chew up a lot of terrain in the process. They head back towards Denali and Swan Lakes. In the summer, people with cabins out there typically either hike or floatplane in.

On the east side, there is a wide snowmachine trail which roughly parallels the highway for about 8 miles, which might very well be passable in summer. However, it's hardly one I'd drive a long distance for.

If you want to learn more about them, get ahold of a snowmachine trail map of the area.

I have a cabin back there the west side trails just go to cabins.

Thanks dan
    for the other poster i know where the snow trails are and these are not them. That area has a large pull out, very marshy and signs all over talking about winter trails. THese are not those. These have makeshift pulloffs, with hardpacked trails and look like atv highways.

huskerhav- those are still snow trails. Yes, there are ATV trails that head back to the first cabins, but it pretty much peters out there. I live in the area and will not use any of the trails from Trapper Creek to the Chulitna River on the west side during the summer. Three reasons... they are in fragile areas and will not support any more traffic than they already do, virtually all of the trails go to private cabins and I respect that, and the trails really won't get you anywhere other than a big mud run (which leads to reason one).

Bar none, the best recreational trails around are in two places. Eureka and the mid-point of the Denali Highway both sides of the Susitna bridge. You couldn't ride all the trails at the mid point of the Denali Highway if you camped there for a week. There are TONS of trails back there and virtually nobody to bother.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We also have a cabin back where huskerhav is asking about and, yes, the trails through there just go to cabins.