Thread: Shipping my rifles to Alaska ?

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Default Shipping my rifles to Alaska ?

I need to have a rifle that I still have in Michigan shipped up to me. I have heard that I can ship it from myself to myself and avoid doing the ffl to ffl deal. has anyone here done this? Is this the right way to go?

Yes, you can ship a longgun to yourself if you are traveling or moving to another state. You must surrender them to the shipper (P.O., FEDEX, UPS ect.), and you must be the one receiving them. This means you can send to yourself, and a friend can get it from the P.O. or sign for it with FEDEX ect, but they had better not open the package. They "receive" the package upon opening it.
    The gub'mint allows this as many competitive shooters will ship a firearm to an upcoming match, or for people hunting in other states or moving ect.

The actual references can be found on the BATF website.

Ship it from yourself in care of yourself. And ship it through the post office priority airmail otherwise the shipping charge with FedEx or UPS will be very high
    Tennessee

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by #1duck View Post

I need to have a rifle that I still have in Michigan shipped up to me.

The Key Words Here Are, SHIPPED UP TO ME

In this scenario you have to have it shipped through an FFL to be transfered over to you. Now if you went back to MI and then sent them to yourself that would be totally legal. But if going back to MI on a visit why not just bring it along as baggage?

I am in Michigan right now. I would fly back with it but I already have 2 bags to check and United ailrlines charges $85 to check an extra bag. This would be doubled for me cause I'm stopping in CO for a couple of days on my way back up.

Lot's of MI folks on this site including myself. :-)

Default Rifles as Checked Luggage

Anyone tried this?

Take small hard case for long rifle, place case inside snow board bag, fill rest of snow board bag with other luggage items, declare gun etc... have about 35lbs of gear in addition to your rifle and case that you can have with this one piece of baggage...

Has worked for me with a pistol. Placed in hard case, then place hard case in duffle bag.

Well I though I'd give you guys an update on trying to ship my rifle. Even though it is legal to ship (from yourself to yourself), its against post office and ups policy. Ive pretty much given up on trying to ship it. Im going to ship some clothes etc... ahead of me instead of my rifle so I have room to take my rifle as checked luggage on the plane. Dont know why I dindt think of this earlier.

It is not against post office policy. Someone is feeding you a line of crap. Demand to speak to the postmaster and quote him/her the ATF rules as listed below off the ATF website:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

I get so sick and tired of these small post offices trying to dictate policy when they dont know there ass from a hole in the ground. They do not have the authority to ignore any ATF rules
    Tennessee

#1Duck I sent you a PM about the run around that the PO gave you. Go back and set the moron that some of these offices have working for them straight. They have to be able to read English before they can outright tell you that you cannot ship your rifle too yourself.

Default Allen

Being able to read english. That's the whole problem right there...

snowwolfe is right. i just moved up here from wisconsin, and was considering shipping some guns. it can be done. i just didn't trust the post office with my guns. some people even suggested that i'd have to remove the bolt or the trigger group to make it a non-gun.

i decided i wanted to travel with it. shipped my clothes up instead of my guns. shipping stuff up here is not cheap. the $85 excess baggage charge might even be cheaper. as long as you don't have to pay it four different times for connecting flights.

a lot of the PO workers won't do it because they've just never dealt with it before. just talk to somebody else. or ship something else.

It's probably too late for Duck, but for anyone else who might be in such a circumstance, call the post office employee on their BS on the spot. Have them produce the postal manual that has all the rules in it, and show you where it says you can't send a firearm to yourself. You shouldn't have to talk to the postmaster if you do this, but if you continue to get the runaround, then you certainly should ...

Also, keep in mind that removing the bolt or the trigger group does not render a piece a "non-firearm" as the serialized part(s) are what are considered firearms.

I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir here, though ...

When I moved up here a couple months ago, I barely scraped by. Fortunately, my dad came with me to help me get settled in, so I had a couple extra bags to work with. Between my guns and hockey gear, we had two very full bags (one missing the excess weight charge by about a pound), but no extra charges. Plus I knew the TSA guy who inspected the contents of my rifle case (not that it made a difference, mind you ...).

Just remember that there's legal, relatively easy ways around an overly gun-shy world without spending extra money.

When I flew down to Oregon from Anchorage I had no problems declaring 4 handguns as baggage. Be SURE you declare them at checkin. The security guys will want to look at them and the case they are in, and tag them as checked thru them. (hardcase, with lock). Also, have never had problems shipping complete firearm via Fedex either, but it's expensive. Shipped to FFL dealer that I knew personally, so cost me nothing extra, just shipping. Also, we shipped a single shot shotgun in two seperate packages via post office....one had barrel and fore-end, the other had buttstock and reciever. Gun parts. (that's literally what they were) No package had a gun complete enough that could fire or shoot. No problems, and no questions asked. I'm not a lawyer, so don't know if all this was legal, but it worked for me. I suspect that the other posts are right: half the postmasters don't actually know if mailing a gun is legal or not...they tell you what they feel is right...(or what THEY feel the law should be...) Also, had a brand-new shotgun barrel delivered to me recently via priority mail. Maybe some of this information is wrong...but I don't claim to know the law, just telling you my experience...

Marshall

When I moved up here from NY I did this. I contacted a FFL up here, he received them but they were sent via Priority Mail to myself. I was an FFL back in NY so the PO I dealt with was ok, but I had shipped a lot of guns through them. It took quite a while to get all the people there straightened out. They tried the routine that they cannot go through the mail, then they tried the they have to be C&R's etc etc. I always had a copy of the Postal Domestic Mail Manual with me and would have to school them. After about a dozen times they finally got used to the fact that firearms could be mailed. My handguns however I shipped via FedEX as a non FFL. I did not beg or buy permission to sell handguns from NY so I was not authorized to ship them as an FFL. That took a little doing to get the rep to understand that it was legal to ship them to myself in C/O another person, pricey though it was around $120 to ship a vaquero, colt 1991, and a single six up. They have to go priority next day air. Probably better to check them as baggage, the lost package rate is probably better, if not I would definetly have the Postal DMM with me. Here is a link to it, it is section 11, about 3/4 the way down the page. http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search...9&dtype=2#hit0