Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince William Sound Deer Hunting

Default Prince William Sound Deer Hunting

Hi i am thinking about doing a deer hunt in prince william sound this fall around the opener and am trying to decide where to go. I have gone to Hinchinbrook several times and have done wonderful everytime but i am looking for a new place to go because i will have some new people with me and i am looking for an easier hunt. I was thinking either Green island, glacier island, or the naked, storey and peak islands? If anyone could give me some information about these islands and where the best places to hunt each island would be at that would be great! thanks

If you go on opening day you can virtually guarantee to be hunting them up high. Way up high near the tops of the mountains and ridges. To me, the easiest hunts are right before the rut when the bucks are down lower and respond to calls.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Green Island is a jungle. Hunting there in August would be very difficult, as there are no high places where you can glass them.

when does the rut start?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Green Island is a jungle. Hunting there in August would be very difficult, as there are no high places where you can glass them.
    I second that...a friend of mine once compared Green island to the degeba system (spelling?) from the star wars movies. It is very thick and brushy, hard to get around on. I've gone on a few trips to Montague the past couple of years and we have done well every time.

Rut is generally middle of November. I've gone the first week of November on Montague and the bucks have started to come down lower, but weren't responding to any calls at that point.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I hunted Green Island two years ago in the middle of August. The island is a very cool place and it too reminded me of Star Wars. The ground is very spongy and some thick brush in places, but not overly congested. We didnt see any bucks and only a handful of does. Like Brian mentioned there aren't any high places to really glass them. There are a couple of fields that are in the middle of the island where you might see one, but chances are slim.
    I would maybe go to Knight or Latouche and get up high and bring a bivy sack. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    I hunted Green Island two years ago in the middle of August. The island is a very cool place and it too reminded me of Star Wars. The ground is very spongy and some thick brush in places, but not overly congested. We didnt see any bucks and only a handful of does. Like Brian mentioned there aren't any high places to really glass them. There are a couple of fields that are in the middle of the island where you might see one, but chances are slim.
    I would maybe go to Knight or Latouche and get up high and bring a bivy sack. Good Luck.
    I hear alot about Latouche but see on some maps that it is mostly native land. Anyone know how stringent they are on hunting this land? Or has anyone seen a rep out there?

I am looking to do a deer hunt to Montigue Island just before mid November. We are using a transporter from Whittier and he cannot tell us where to go. There are 4 of us going and we are on a meat hunt not really a rack hunt. Any ideas on where to go or what bay to pull into? I have also been told to register for the the RB100 hunt becuase of some late brown activity....Any advise will help, thanks.

Hey Tacpswank, If you want an excelling deer hunting experience, talk to the people at eshamy bay lodge. A guy named Duke in particular his number is 907 440 7978 pwst (prince william sound taxi) duke will point you in the right direction. The Eshamy bay lodge would be the perferable place to stay while you are out there.

Take Care

-Mac

Default Prince William Sound reply for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by AkVDZHunter View Post
    Hi i am thinking about doing a deer hunt in prince william sound this fall around the opener and am trying to decide where to go. I have gone to Hinchinbrook several times and have done wonderful everytime but i am looking for a new place to go because i will have some new people with me and i am looking for an easier hunt. I was thinking either Green island, glacier island, or the naked, storey and peak islands? If anyone could give me some information about these islands and where the best places to hunt each island would be at that would be great! thanks

Hey friend, If you have any questions about Hunting in the prince william sound call Duke, he is not a guide. but he runs the water taxi out there and is a big hunter. He not only will know where the deer are, but he will get you there and tell you about all the accomodations the sound has to offer. dukes # (907)440-PWST 7978 (prince william sound taxi).

Bon Voyage

-Mac

Quote Originally Posted by akskidoo View Post
    I second that...a friend of mine once compared Green island to the degeba system (spelling?) from the star wars movies. It is very thick and brushy, hard to get around on. I've gone on a few trips to Montague the past couple of years and we have done well every time.
    But if you do go. Use the force or at least hunt down yoda for advice. Beware of the dark side. It will eat your gut piles. May the force be with you.

headed out tomorrow....i hope to see something and of course get a shot

Just got back from Montague. 3 days, 0 deer. My thoughts would be to wait until mid November at the soonest.

Was hoping to see how your hunt went. 0 deer shot? or 0 deer seen?

Lots of good deer hunting right now, in fact this is my favorite time of the year to deer hunt in the Sound. Animals are prime now.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

The young deer are on the move right now. A friend who was riding the fast ferry last week told me they saw 4 different deer swimming from Hawkins Is. towards the mainland between Cordova and Observation Is. including one right by the ferry dock right after they untied. Other friends have told me they are seeing lots of young deer (and getting some) on the beaches too. Mostly yearlings but also one real nice forkie.
    - Jef Mallett

0 deer seen, saw a little sign on the beach, but that was it. Actually the only thing I saw was a rather large grizzly. Going back at it today to try again, just trying to find someone to go with me because my first hunting partner got burned out.

Did you find a nice place to land and a good place to protect your plane? Better luck this next time out!
    - Jef Mallett

Oh ya, the whole beach south of the two creeks is super solid. It was great, and I have myself a nice parking spot now in between the two meat racks. I went out again today and flew around the entire island but didn't see a single sign of deer anywhere around. There were 3 other planes out there today too that I saw landing from beach to beach (I think 2 cubs and a T-craft?). They landed on San Juan Bay on the north side of the two creeks but they were only there for like 20 minutes. Looked like they were looking for signs the same as me. I will try back until I limit between now and the end of the season. This egg on my face sucks.

Oh, and as far as protection. The highest tide while I was there was +11.1 on the Cordova tide chart and it was pretty far away. I recommend taking up in the middle area where I was. There are two meat rack looking setups in the grass in the middle of the beach. If you pull the tail into the grass like I did, I am guessing you are good up to probably a +13 or so.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast