Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klutina Report?

Default Klutina Report?

What is the word from any of you boys down on the Klutina? Worth making the drive tomorrow for a couple days to catch the reds? Or are ya really having to work for them while enjoying the beverages?

Also, are you guys fishing from the bank for kings using the same tactics (eggs/corkie) for kings as you would elsewhere in the same holes you would be fishing reds?

Cheers,

PK

I have never seen the red fishing this slow on the Klutina. Looks like the charter boats are filling up on kings.

red fishing was very very slow last few days,this morning I saw a guy hook 3 reds in about the time it takes to drink a cup of tea,so hopefully some fish are starting to come up. If it was me I would give it another week. lots of kings though!!

Thanks fellas. Looks like I shall hold off until next weekend where I take my show on the road down to Chitna and on to Valdez! Cheers, PK

Default Klutina

Reds fishing was good this week. I got my limit when I fished. The King fishing is smoking. Im not sure Ive ever seen so many kings hooked in the campground areas. I went out with stef from alaska raft fishing on thursday. I landed 3 kings the biggest was around 55lbs. Our group hooked 8 on a half day charter. It was a great day fishing. Hillbilly

Dang.......................I should have went. Oh well now I have to wait two weeks to go again. Sometimes work has a way of interfering with fishing.

It was so slow yesterday that we raced down to Valdez to catch a few Pinks today. Just got back and there is only one person fishing from the campgrounds. Hopefully it will pick up soon.

I hear that Ron!!! I the mean time EOD and I've been doing ok on the salcha...not fast and furious, but fun! Cant leave the area till aug....ugg!

I might do a quick trip in the middle of the week, like leave wed afternoon come back thur afternoon. I might have a case of fishinginmintitus the only cure is to go fishing!

I think I am going to drive up and hit it this week, maybe tues weds or thurs.

Fishing should do nothing but improve. I don't mind working for them anyway.

Tight lines.

Ron,

That would be fun, I gotta work ugg! Got over time coming again this coming weekend ugg ugg...cant pass the money LOL!

It's either now or never, sounds like a song. I leave for San Antoino this saturday (I think they are trying to kill me! I am going to sweat away or melt!) and come back the following friday on the redeye. Saturday is the boaters safety course on Ft. Wainwright so I can rent the jet boats for future fishing trips. Then possibly heading down to the Matsu Valley for some Silver action..............the list goes on. Needless to say might be the last time to Klutina this year.

I have to pass....

I need to call FWA also about that boaters course.....got a question about being a lisc coast guard skipper if I even need to take it?!?!?! It's been a few years since I had the card. Ok ok I'll call tomorrow from work lol.

The klutina will wait for me next year!

Man, we're definitely going on a tangent on this thread, and I'm contributing, LOL...

Tradbow, I'll be attending the boater's course this weekend and I think AlcanRon will be there as well. I'm gonna bring Starky (aka, the Starky Special), too. Saturday, 1300-1700.

I spoke to the folks at outdoor rec today and they said a Coast Guard Six-Pack is no good, but...They also said the guy who makes the official call was not in at the time. PS...we're test driving a couple boats tomorrow. Should be proud new owners soon and I'd love to repay your kindness for taking us out on the Salcha.

On a thread related note, I'll be fishing Valdez soon and a stop by the Klutina will be in order. I'll be sure to report!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Thanks for the info man! I roll back over from nights to days like I did this past weekend. I SUPPOSE I can take the class too...if I have too LOL!

Anytime anywhere, well when I aint working I'm in .

Really wish I could do the klutina, take the raft down it. Just aint in my deck of cards this year. Missed my chance the last time I was down there.

There is still August......................

Default Fished Klutina Fri-Sunday

Like most have said, I have never seen it this slow in 18 years. Fished every nice hole from campgrounds to near the mouth..nada! Never seen so many people walking back from the mouth with nada. There were the occasional few who managed a limit....but not without putting in some time and finding a spot where a few were holding (most between 1am - 6am) Never even saw a single fish break the surface or swim by and I was staring at the water for 3straight days! Even the eagles were saying "***". I'm sure the second run is coming, unfortuantely, it wasnt this past weekend. Charters were killing the kings however. Oh, and someone did say there was a large brown furry thing digging under logs at the mouth this past weekend

The second run usually does not materialize until the first week of August. With the way things have been this year the fish might be there until september or not at all.

if thats the case Ron I might be game. Though I cant promise. come august I plan on doing some hunting this year, it's been to long since I've been serious about getting out!!!

Headed down in the morning, I'll post a report when we get back home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast