Thread: Remote staking--just returned

Default Remote staking--just returned

Hello,

I just returned from staking a small parcel in the White Mountains II area, it was my first time doing that and learned a lot. I'm putting the paperwork together now to get the application in monday. If anybody has any questions or dos and don'ts based on experience, I'd be more than happy to share what I learned.

In short, we get there the day before, did some hiking to get a feel for the area and where we might want to stake. The area is diverse so it really depends on what you want as far as land goes. There are nice forested hillsides, burned out black spruce forest, and some semi-open hilltop areas. We set up camp and got up the next morning, ate some chow, got our tools together and went to work as soon as it opened.

We started by flaggin corner posts and lines around the area we liked. After straightening out the lines, measuring the distances, recording coordinates, etc., we started brushing. I'm glad we had a chainsaw... We took photos, found a reference point and completed the paperwork we needed to in the field.

We only ended up with about 7 acres or so, we thought we had more, but by the time measurements were completed, that was it. That was fine with me.

One of the challenges we noticed were keeping lines relatively straight over uneven terrain. We also learned it would have been better to stamp our signs at home before going up there, rather than scratching the information into the galvanzed steel squares we bought.

Anyway, it was a good experience and a nice little parcel. If anyone would like to know more or has specific questions, let me know.

So you mark the area you want before you apply? What are the chances you wont get it?

Hey was wondering how it works all around. Can i do this anywhere? who do i contact. ect thanks for any help.

Messed up my message. See below.
    Last edited by outnaboutnak; 07-19-2010 at 22:41. Reason: Ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by AKNoob View Post
    So you mark the area you want before you apply? What are the chances you wont get it?
    Parcels are marked and staked after you are drawn for the area as there are a limited number of winners. The chances of being drawn depend on the number of applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by Norther View Post
    Hey was wondering how it works all around. Can i do this anywhere? who do i contact. ect thanks for any help.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/remote_recsites.htm