Thread: Bear dogs

Default Bear dogs

In light of all the bear defense threads popping up thought I would throw this out there.

We bought a Karilian bear dog two years ago for bear protection around our fishing lodge. We thought she would just let us know if one was around since it is so bushy here. She has done that and much more. Her eyes, nose and hearing are better than any animal I have ever seen. If something is there she will let you know every time.
    In her short life she has already run off a grizzly (last year) and yesterday a sow black with cubs. What she does is goes after the bear and of course the bear will run a short distance then stop to fight. She is so fast she just circles barking nonstop until the bear moves away again. The neat part is she wont chase the bear into the next county... when she has the bear out of "her" area (maybe 300 yards from camp) she returns.
    With the grizzly last year I followed with a rifle and watched, it was pretty impressive! He was an older bear and one that might have caused us trouble but she just pestered him until he left. It was neat to see how easily she could escape him.
    She goes with us everywhere and the odds of surprising a bear with her along is almost 0. I have had the most trouble with bears when I have surprised them (that means the wind was in my face) that doesnt happen with her.... if anything is upwind of you she will let you know it.
    I know these dogs are not the answer for everyone but for those who can have one they are the best bear protection money can buy. Plus they are nice dogs! we got ours from Dale/Sandra Drinkall of Folding Mt kennels if interested go to thier website for a lot of info on these dogs.

The Karilian are nice dogs and wouldn't mind haveing one myself. Does the dog know not to mess with wolves of chase other game?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I was thinking about one of those also whats their temperment like with other dogs, are they dog aggresive?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I used to raise and race sled dogs so have been around a few dogs. I can honestly say our Karilian has the best personality of any dog weve owned. Aggressiveness was something we were concerned about when we bought her as we couldnt have one around our guests or other dogs. The owners of the kennel we got her from assured us it wouldnt be an issue and it hasnt been. On the other hand our next door neibour has a male and he is aggressive if other dogs come on his property but otherwise is fine.
    Ours will chase off anything that comes into camp, moose, bear whatever. Havent had wolves in the picture yet.... but no doubt they would kill her. We can call her off anything she goes after so that helps. Folding Mt Kennel have a couple of hunting areas in northern BC as well and they use these dogs at all their camps so the website has a lot of good info on these dogs and what they can do, they have some great hunting photos too!

I'm thinking we have to many wolves here. Hate to lose any dfog but high dollar adds to the pain
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ive found wolves to be like ravens... if you shoot everyone that comes near they soon stay away

I gave the wrong add. its folding mountain karelians, they have a great site for those interested.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

yukon254:
    That Dawgie sounds IMPRESSIVE.

That stuff is what a Perfect Pooch should do. Make sure she gets some real meat in her chow.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Nice to know that Karelian Beardogs, originaly raised in Finland, are used in Alaska. Beardogds from Finland and Laikas (very similar dog than Beardog) from Russia are above all hunters dogs in their homelands. Having spend all my life with these dogs I can say that they are fine animals. In Finland these dogs are used to hunt moose, bear and sometimes grouse type of game birds. Dog will find the game, stop it and bark. Then hunter stalks and hopefully gets chance to take shot. At the moment I have 11 year old west-siberian laika and 1,5 year old east-siberian laika. Old one is "once in a lifetime" hunting dog. It works well with moose and bear, barks also small game and will retrieve ducks and beaver from icy waters. It has never been lost in wilderness and it is the most loyal companion I can hope. Young one is big one, weighing about 40 kilos. Time will show how hunting starts going with big boy. Both dogs are males and unfortunately are sometimes agressive against strange dogs startin dogfigths. They are very devoted to me and will defend me, so strangers are not allowed to come close. At home with my family and children they act very peacefully. Only thing that makes them afraid are wolves: when wolftracks are fresh they stay near me. These dogs will need plenty of outdoor life and hunting, they are not dogs for city folks.

Interesting breed, not overly large, but is the first breed I have described as having a sense of humor....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Interesting breed, not overly large, but is the first breed I have described as having a sense of humor....
    That sounds, INTERESTING.

Would you care to explain why you describe this "breed" of dawg "as having a sense of humor"?

If you do, Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

We live remote and got two KBDs. That turned out to be a mistake. One KBD is the best investment in bear protection you could make. My wife went to Windriver Bear Institute and spent a week there learning about KBDs. We’ve had two for a couple of years and one for a year. Just a few notes:

1. KBDs do not respond to negative reinforcement. Training needs to be set up so good behavior is rewarded. If you hear of a KBD that is “Bone Headed” or “Strong willed” that is a KBD that is being trained using negative reinforcement.

2. Windriver divides their dogs into three classes; Companion dogs, Protection dogs, and Conflict dogs. With the conflict dogs being the most aggressive towards bears.

3. Most protection and conflict KBDs can not be let off leash because they will clear their area of everything, bears, moose, & squirrels. Two or more KBDs will pack up and hunt. Their area is anywhere from 1/4 mile to a mile around camp. Yukon254 has got a good KBD, I wish we could let ours off leash. We have tried several times. She clears everything for about a mile around the house.

4. I don’t think you could get a KBD to bite a human even if you beat it with a stick. Ours will foam at the mouth and is the most viscous thing you have ever seen when a bear is around. Yet she will lay there and let our 5yo daughter put bows in her hair. That being said, she is very protective of “her family”. We had some friends come over with a black lab mix. The dogs got along great until he nipped my 7yo boy in the butt. Our KBD was all about killing that dog, had it by the throat before you could blink and it was all we could do to get her off of it.

5. KBDs are called a “primitive breed” because they’ve not bred to be “lap dogs”. I think ours is still “wolfy”. I built her a nice insulated dog house. She uses it but dug herself a den and prefers that. She will socialize with the adults for about 10 to 15 minutes and then she is done, (though she is much more tolerant with kids, she has put up with my daughter for an hour or two). But when she is done, she just gets up and walks away.

It took our KBD a couple of years to get the bears in our area trained but now we rarely see any bear sign around the house.

PIE FACED

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    You need to stay in Michigan and play with your .500 S&W since we all know you're too scared to leave home without it.