Thread: North Beach? South Beach? Kasilof? Kenai?

Default North Beach? South Beach? Kasilof? Kenai?

First time dipping the peninsula this Sunday. That's the plan, anyway. I've enjoyed reading all the threads on here for quite a while. But I'm frankly a bit confused about which beach we should head to. And which river?

Ideally it would be great to have experienced friends who we can tag along with at their favorite beach, but this will just be my wife and I, so we're looking for a concise pro/con list of each beach on each river to help us make our own decision...

Anyone?
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Default depends on your equipment and what you want

If you are more interested in not being peopled to death, go to Kasilof. North beach if you like driving on sand and standing in some mud, else the south beach there.

If larger fish are more appealing and LOTS of people don't turn you off, head to Kenai. South beach if you like driving in sand and standing in some mud, else North beach.

There's more involved than that, but you didn't give any details of your wishes and equipment and such, so here's a start for you.

Thanks, FamilyMan. That's sort of exactly what I was looking for. I've got a Ram 1500 4wd pickup, but not really interested in getting stuck. Beach-dipping, and being the first time and all, not really interested in huge crowds... Can't wait. I'm very excited. My wife is, too, although tonight she commented that we could have just gone to the grocery store for fish given what she just spent on her gear alone! :-) But she looks good in chest waders designed to hold three people and their fish!
    Palmer, Alaska

FM, did you typo that? The north beach at Kasilof doesn't require any driving on the beach. The south beach requires you to drive up the beach quite some distance to get to the river. Same with the Kenai. North beach is road parking within a short walk of the water, while the south beach means you have to drive up the beach from the access point.

Kasilof is free access. At Kenai you have to pay the City to get access to the "public" beach.

Kasilof is quieter with less crowding. Kenai is like going to Disneyland on a nice mid-summer weekend.

In either case, being your first time out, I'd highly recommend watching for a bit to see what the process is before you jump in the water.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    FM, did you typo that? The north beach at Kasilof doesn't require any driving on the beach. The south beach requires you to drive up the beach quite some distance to get to the river.
    Ya, I got too quick with my generalizations; you are correct there Joat.

Though I and many people do drive at Kasilof North Beach. I don't like hauling coolers over the sand any distance. One thing I've noticed, is that my coolers tend to put on quite a bit of weight while there.

and a friendly reminder if you are heading to the kasilof, please dont drive on the dunes. the access there is plenty sufficient that one shouldn't have to park drive/park on the vegetation.

Being your first time, it might not be a bad thing that there are lots of people at the Kenai. Even the Kasilof is not the solitude of the Copper River canyon. There might be lots of nets in the water, but there are even more fish. Talk to the people, the conversation is nice between bumps, and you will probably learn something that way.

If you want, give me a call. I am in the phone book and live in your area. I just came back from Kasilof yesterday and am happy to share my views and experiences from both there and Kenai. Back Country Robb and others give good predictions, but there are never any guarantees. Most folks I have run into at either place are very friendly and enjoyable to be with, but there are also some prime jerks down there that can try ones patience immensely, but don't let the jerks and slobs get to you, they are greatly outnumbered by really nice folks. Above all, keep it clean and try to leave the area in better shape than when you found it.
    Jim Uhl

Thanks a lot for the thoughts and advice, folks. My wife and I had a wonderful whirlwind trip (only dipped about 2 hours, but ended up with 10 fish apiece and lots of memories). I tacked a more detailed report to bilders thread here.

You guys are right about the dunes. Can't image how they survive as well as they appear to be given the traffic. It was like Woodstock (or at least what I imagine it being. Could have done without the dude playing the bongo drums late into the night, though).

We ended up going to Kasilof, north beach. Had a blast. Did enjoy quite a bit of jovial conversation with people there. Including one gentleman late Saturday night who explained that he was clipping his fish's tail to keep it from swimming away. I suspect the fact that were were still dressed in "civilian clothes" and not the local attire prompted that. Everyone we ran into was very friendly -- which was great. I'm addicted. It's always that fun, right?

As we were getting ready to leave I chatted with a lady who was walking around in the pouring down rain with a black trash bag, picking up trash around the vehicles near the beach. She said she was from the local Baptist church and they were doing some outreach stuff to help us fisher-people enjoy ourselves out there. I was impressed with her attitude, and expressed my appreciation for her picking up after everyone else. She said she was happy to do it for us... Good folks.
    Last edited by trochilids; 07-19-2010 at 00:02. Reason: typos
    Palmer, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    I'm addicted. It's always that fun, right?
    Since you mentioned the late bongo drums, weird fin clippers and trash lady in the rain...

Yes, it is always that fun.

I like the guy just upstream of the north point who has his net on a floating pole that he throws way out there. He's got a rope tied to the end so he can let it drift downstream outside of everybody else, then pulls in the rope at the end of his drift.

I was fishing right below that guy last year. Not sure his tactic was working so great though. I'm sure I caught more fish than he did during the same time frame. He had to spend over half of his time walking up the beach... not fishing. ;-)
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

gr8fl, i also saw the guy with the floating net...i had to be careful to steer clear of his "throw radius", which was far greater than any of the standard, fixed-handle netters! dipping was best i've seen it, how'd you do?

New to this forum. Have alot of NEWBY questions in just about EVERY category. Love to just read thru what others are saying.
    NOW, for the NEWBY questions:
    1). Are active duty military considered residents (for the purpose of dipnetting) after they have been in state for a certain length of time?
    2). Is a nonresident allowed to 'help' (remove fish from net, clean, fillet, etc) a resident?
    3). Does the nonresident need a license to 'help' the resident?
    4). Can a resident 'gift' part of their catch to a non resident?

Well thats enough for the dipping section.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    1). Are active duty military considered residents (for the purpose of dipnetting) after they have been in state for a certain length of time?
    2). Is a nonresident allowed to 'help' (remove fish from net, clean, fillet, etc) a resident?
    1. I could be wrong on this one, but I think the rule is that you must have been here for a year and have the intent to remain a resident of Alaska in order to be considered a resident for fishing/hunting purposes. I know there are some special stipulations for military members with regards to license cost and such, so look into this further.

I am much more sure about #s 2-4, though.

2 - No. Non-residents may not help catch fish, clean fish, lift coolers, or anything else involved with the process. Non-residents can sit and watch. That's it.
    3 - See above. No help is allowed.
    4 - No. Dipnetted fish is considered "personal use" and is thus restricted by law to use by the fisherman and his/her immediate family. Sport-caught fish may be shared as you see fit, but personal use fish may not.

Almost sounds like trick questions the way you quoted certain verbs.

Read the regs:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...ntral/SCpu.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    New to this forum. Have alot of NEWBY questions in just about EVERY category. Love to just read thru what others are saying.
    NOW, for the NEWBY questions:

Well thats enough for the dipping section.