Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish identity

Default fish identity

Can anyone identify this bass caught on my lot in Missoura?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure looks like a bucket mouth. Could be a spot too
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Sure looks like a bucket mouth. Could be a spot too
    I agree with Raptor - looks like a largemouth bass!

ClearCreek

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Sure can. That's Bob!!!!!!!
    It might be Bob, but its definately not Walter.

Missoura ?.... Where is that ?

Somewhere southeast of Nome??

was this fish caught in alaska? ive wished for many years that we had bass in our lakes and rivers... would be great to have no reason at all for going to the states

Definitely a Largemouth Bass. Caught tons of them down here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    was this fish caught in alaska? ive wished for many years that we had bass in our lakes and rivers... would be great to have no reason at all for going to the states
    That's a reason to go to the states??

A couple pound fish?

Never understood the draw of bass. I'll take a salmon or decent rainbow any day over that. Now, if you're there anyway and want to fish, that's one thing...but I wouldn't take a trip to go bass fishing specifically...lol.

If you had largemouth bass in Alaska you would only have a bunch of dinks - just not enough growing season up there to grow them big. Same as in several northern/higher elevation (read mountain states) in the lower 48. Not a lot of fun catching 10 inch bass.

ClearCreek

Default Bass

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Can anyone identify this bass caught on my lot in Missoura?
    I assume you meant Missouri?

As a Missouri resident I can assure you that is a largemouth bass. I am not sure where your lot is, but is does not have the right color for a Spotted (aka Kentucky Bass).

If it was from any type of pond or small impoundment, largemouth are all that will exist there.

Spots (Kentuckies) are only found in the cooler Ozark streams and the largest impoundments with deep cool water.

Smallmouth are limited to the same waters as Spots..

Largemouth can be found everywhere, all streams, ponds and large impoundments.

We have the 3 species of bass as listed above, plus "meanmouth" which is a spot X smallmouth hybrid.

Anyway that is definitely a largemouth. I live on Table Rock Lake 43,000 acres which has all the above species.

Here's some rough descriptions: http://mdc.mo.gov/fishing/fish-catch...identification

Note it has white bass and striped bass included also. These 2 are "true bass" in a completely different family.

The largemouth, spotted, and smallmouth are in a completely different family, technically the "sunfish" family including numerous other species like sunfish/bluegill.

Confusing I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post

A couple pound fish?

Never understood the draw of bass. I'll take a salmon or decent rainbow any day over that. Now, if you're there anyway and want to fish, that's one thing...but I wouldn't take a trip to go bass fishing specifically...lol.
    Well it is apples and oranges. I have made 14 trips to AK and enjoyed every moment of every trip, you have a truly phenomenal state for any angler, from novice to expert.

I guess one thing I would like to point out is that you are in a unique situation, being able to harvest fish that run the oceans and return for your benefit. Alaskans and those that fish there are blessed with being able to harvest and stockpile and consume a lot of very fine fish. I know people up there that put 100 - 300+ pounds of the best fish in the larder every year, at a sustainable rate for the fishery. I envy that.

Well we in the landlocked "outside" do not have that luxury of heavy consumption. We have to be be careful to take care of what we have. It is just a completely different situation and mindset and I guess folks up your way who consider fishing to be protein harvest might never understand why I would fish for and release bass.

It's all about the tug on the end of the line.... right?

The fisheries are so different that comparisons cannot be made. I can tell you I have never winterized a boat and we have some January days we fish in shirtsleeves so put that in your pipe and smoke it when you are ice-locked in the dead of winter !

Quote Originally Posted by SKMO View Post
    I can tell you I have never winterized a boat and we have some January days we fish in shirtsleeves so put that in your pipe and smoke it when you are ice-locked in the dead of winter !

Doesn't sound like your ice fishing is very good.
    All that wear and tear on the boat can't be good either. Ya need ice fishing so you can spread the use of yer toys out, totherwise you be wearing them out prematurely. Y'all also got them snakes and creepy crawlies down in yonder swamps and it's humid and hot as hades in the summer.

I am from MISSOURA (incorrect spelling, but correct pronunciation "mizz ur ah") also.

Lately the only ice fishing I have done in January has been "fishin the adult beverage out of the ice in the cooler".

As for "hot and humid", yesterday the temp was 97 degrees with almost 70% humidity. PLUS NO WIND OR CLOUDS. As I type this (9AM) it is thundering, raining, and just downright nasty. One good thing is the temperature is only 85 degrees AND it is cloudy & the wind is blowing. Only expect the temp to reach the low 90s today thru Tuesday (with humidity levels just slightly lower than that). Then a warming spell is expected. Todays rain will make it even more comfortable later in the week. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By The Way: Your picture is of a largemouth bass (pound, pound & a half maybe). Just a little fella.

PS: I leave for Alaska on Saturday (24th). Spending TWO WHOLE WEEKS, then its back to the "warmth" of Missouri
    Last edited by nuprofessor; 07-18-2010 at 07:20. Reason: fat fingers don't type well

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post

A couple pound fish?

nor would i, only saying that i would never want to go to the states for any other reason

Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    If you had largemouth bass in Alaska you would only have a bunch of dinks - just not enough growing season up there to grow them big. Same as in several northern/higher elevation (read mountain states) in the lower 48. Not a lot of fun catching 10 inch bass.

ClearCreek

couldnt be further from the truth... any size bass is a good time

couldnt be further from the truth... any size bass is a good time
    aktyler - while I agree anytime you are catching fish it is a good time, I guess the point I was trying to make was there is a place for largemouth bass and it is not Alaska. You have a world class salmon and trout fishery that many would give there right *ut to have in their backyard. Enjoy what you have and don't try to change it to something you had when you lived somewhere else!!

I grew up catching largemouth bass (and many other warmwater species) and still like to fish for them when I am in an area where they exist. I sure would not want to do anything to harm those warmwater populations by introducing a species that does not belong there. Likewise for Alaskas salmon and trout fisheries.

ClearCreek

Thanks for the fish indentification...I thought it was a large mouth or a spotted bass also. Been in Alaska 40 years without being stateside to much, so Missouri is an exciting place for me to own a 2nd home now. We bought a house, 40 acres,2 nice shops,lil creek running thru,nice lil pond, amazing rocks and woods, and tons of tranquility there. The lil creek is like walking on a sidewalk,,long flat rock it flows over. Lots of lil fish in there 3-6 inches long, not sure what they are tho,and crawfish too, but there pretty small. The pond also contains 2 very large Grass Carp. Guessing the big one is about 15 pounds maybe, Id like to get him on my line. Using single hook barbless, so easier to release them for another day.
    The lil town of 3000 is called Ava, where we bought. Were about 12 miles outside city limits, very rural ,woodsy, quiet..I love it, just have to get used to the huge wasps and other flying bugs,,DAM. Theres a couple othere creeks nearby with Bass of course, and supposedly Gar and Paddlefish,so that should be interesting to catch one. Learned from a local where to look for some Boar along this one creek. Pretty excited about the whole thing. Going back down in October..cant wait.

I can't believe I just read through every post in this annoying thread and I'm still gracing it w/ a post but thats what rainy blowy days do for me I agree w/ coho slayer who cares about what kind of bath tub fish you caught in your missouri pond
    hey SKMO we enjoy winterizing our boats! Oh yeah, don't be concerning yourself w/ what we smoke in our pipes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast