Thread: Are The Kasilof River Sockeye Native or Hatchery Fish?

Default Are The Kasilof River Sockeye Native or Hatchery Fish?

I was looking for info and history on the Kasilof River fishery. I know that there are hatchery kings, and remember hearing something about the hatchery running low on funding and slowing down and or closing. Any info would be appreciated.

100 percent native run as of a few years ago.

Feds put a stop to the hatch program that once numbered 20 million fry.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

...unfortunately.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the info. I had been guessing that the reason for the small size fish in the Kasilof , compared to the Kenai, was because they were hatchery fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I had been guessing that the reason for the small size fish in the Kasilof , compared to the Kenai, was because they were hatchery fish.
    The size of fish at Kasilof varies over the season because of the age composition and where they spawn. Four year old fish come in first and they have been at sea only two years. At the end of the season the 3 ocean fish arrive but a number of people have their fish and leave.

Also, over half the production comes from smaller trib. streams and that means smaller fish to make it up these small streams. Large fish are selected against in this habitat type. Kenai late run in contrast spawn in the larger Kenai River with a good current and therefore tend to be bigger and that return is more 3 ocean fish.