Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sourdough Survivor in 350 Remington Magnum, modified M77MKII Stainless

Default The Sourdough Survivor in 350 Remington Magnum, modified M77MKII Stainless

This is a modified Ruger M77MKII STAINLESS All Weather in 350 Rem Mag.
    Sourdough Survivor 015.jpgSourdough Survivor 009.jpgI was not very happy with it as it came out of the box. It was rather flashy and not very accurate.
    SO... I changed a few things.

1. New muzzle crown
    2. Polished feed ramp and bolt rails.
    3. Installed front sight base.
    4. Installed fiber optic front sight bead.
    5. Bought a NEGC rear emergency peep sight.
    6. Used Warne quick detach scope rings and a 2x7 Leupold.
    7. Glass bed action and barrel channel ( It needed it with my warm hand-loads)
    To include extra re-enforcement behind main action screw.
    8. Install water tight storage area in butt stock.
    9. Visually subdue stock and action
    10. Store peep sight in stock compartment.
    11. Cleaning cable, brush and patch eye in butt stock
    12. Lube bottle in butt stock.
    13. Add second sling attach points on left side so rifle can be slung like a pack while climbing using two slings.
    14. Fill remaining stock voids with dense foam.

As it is now, it will fire the following at 0.50 to 1.00 MOA:

200 Grain Rem Spitzers at 3,000 fps
    200 grain Barnes Triple Shocks at 2,890 fps

225 Sierra Game King at 2,800 fps
    220 Speer semi sires at 2,800 fps
    225 grain Kodiak Bonded at 2,800 fps.

250 Hornady Round and spitzer at 2,560 fps
    250 Grain Nosler partitions at 2,500 fps

275 grain Barnes and Kodiak Bonded at 2,450 fps

For this project I wanted:

1. Controlled Feed.
    2. A safety that would lock the firing pin. (which the MKII does in the last position)
    3. Stainless if possible.
    4. A longer magazine box than the short action Remington's.
    5. A rifling twist that will handle heavy bullets.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hmm, this new photo system is weird

Attached Images Attached Images

Very impressive. I especially like the camo pattern and the butt stock storage. I know what you mean about the short magazine in the remingtons. i shoot the 220 speers out of my 673 for that reason. Your rifle looks like its ready for action!
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Sourdough Survivor 018.jpg

The interior of the compartment is larger than the screw-on hatch. It was the only size I could find with an O-ring seal. It is a modified boat deck pump-out plug.

I made the interior compartment circular so nothing would get stuck in there. So I cut the bottom off of a plastic one -pound powder can and glued it inside. Then foamed all the other empty spaces.

The holes in the front sight hood take out some of the spring. So I epoxied it on the little rails so it won't move during heavy recoil. My 275 grain loads have some snap to them.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Float Pilot:
    It occurs to me, that you know a lotta poo, poo, about guns.

I like it all ceptin maybe, the Camo.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You did a very nice job makeing the gun fit what you wanted and I believe it will serve you well.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The stock had a lot of bangs and boo-boos on it already... Then the marine tex all around the new hatch....
    So I was going to just paint in black and gray again..

BUT... after a couple Alaskan Ambers, the camo idea seemed to make sense... After one more it seemed like an even better idea...

I just painted a base coat of two colors of green and later used some ferns from the field by the house as I over-sprayed with the khaki color (colour if we used real English)

Daughter #2 who is visiting from college walked by and noted ;
    "You can't find your tools half the time on your own property, what makes you think you will ever be able to find your rifle if you lay it down out in the mountains someplace?"

She does have a point....

FP Very impressive!! I just had a left hand ruger 06 turned into a 35 whelen.... What make is your stock?? Mine is an HS presicion... dont think it hollow.... I love the compartment!! Have you run those loads over a chrony?? I didnt know barnes made a 275 35 cal bullet. Thats real good vel. for that bullet. I will try some. I also had sights put on mine... how do you like the NECG peep?? Ive been thinking of getting one. Thanks for posting the pictures!!

Yes, I own two chronographs and our local club has three. I have used all of them. The velocity averages and group size averages are from 5 groups of five rounds each.

Barnes no longer makes a 275 grain. I had 3 old cardboard boxes of them, but I am now down to my last 10 bullets.
    The 275 grain (actually 276 on my digital scale) Kodiak Bonded bullets by Alaska Bullets Works in Juneau are better on impact in game , but ......they are not as accurate.

I want to try some North Fork Bullets and Some Swift A frames. I think they make those in 275 or 280 grain. The M77MKII All Weather stainless rifles had a 1 in 12 twist so they can just barely handle the heavier bullets. The old blued M77s and the Remington's in 350 Rem Mag have a different twist rate. Like 1 in 14 or 1 in 16.

My 275 grain loads are MAX and I am using virgin brass. They certainly have a much different trajectory path than the lighter bullets.

Here are some of my threads about 350 loads.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Mag?highlight=

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...MAG?highlight=

Thanks FP lots of good info there. Woodleigh makes a 275 grn bullet you might like.

Very nicely done FloatPilot - It looks like a real "thumper" for sure! I have a close friend that can speak volumes on just about any gun and I am always impressed! Me, I can make em shoot but am a bit like a race car driver - tell me how fast it can go, where's the red line, oh yeah, wheres the brake!
    Had to laugh when you said you were down to your last 10 bullets of the one brand - isn't it amazing how many great bullets made to perform on game that we poke holes in paper with!
    I have boxes of good bullets for game yet not hardly a single box of target bullets and thats what I end up shooting - go figure!
    Maybe a GPS tracking bug would be good in the camo gun butt ???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice job FloatPilot!

Is the barrel channel full length bedded and not free floated?

I had one of these Ruger 350's and mine shot much like yours did out of the box. I got hasty and parted ways with it. I replaced it with a model 70 classic in 325WSM with the thought in the back of my mind that I might rebarrel it to a long throated 358WSM. I have no regrets concerning picking up the 325 but now you got me regretting that I didn't give the 350 much of a chance(I got room for both )!

I like everything you've done to that gun, especially the front sight with the heavy duty hood. I am not real familiar with the rear peep. Does it fit the rear Ruger integral scope base?

I'd say you got yourself a very nice short action thumper! Wanna sell it? Smile!

"I like it all ceptin maybe, the Camo"

I like the Camo!
    Henry Bowman for President

It took a few rounds to get the action seated into the new glass bedding again. I had pulled it out...

But it does seem to work well with 275 grain Barnes bullets. Which are no longer being made. I will order some HAWK BULLETS and see how those work.

I need to get a stronger magazine follower spring. The stock Ruger spring is pretty weak. Just like their whimppy firing pin spring...

FloatPilot, I think you have more than met your requirements. Very well done man, I like that and boy does it ever shoot. There is nothing that won't put down. Once again, very well done, I am truly impressed and a great cartridge to boot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have dreamed of such a rifle. To make it come alive is a masterstroke. Well done!

Here is the NEGC back-up peep sight installed. It locks onto the Ruger Dove-tails.
    I figure this would be better in low light, in the tall grass while hiking back to the plane or boat with a load of meat on my back...

Good setup, looks good also. Now that is one handy rifle that you can do all your work with.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I like those peeps. Saw one on e-bay a few weeks ago that went for $50.00 with a front sight, but I'm looking for the one to fit Weaver slides.

Another +1 for that peep! Looks real solid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast