Thread: Fish processing?

Default Fish processing?

I'm tired of cleaning, filleting, vac-packing, and freezing my fish all by myself. (wah, wah, wah, right?)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good fish processor in the Kenai/Soldotna/Anchorage areas? Also, is it worth it?

Thanks!

AK Custom Meats is about a mile down the Kenai Spur Hwy, and they do accept drop offs 24/7. They do nice work, but you judge for yourself if its worth hiring out or not; it ain't cheap.

Custom (on Kenai Spur Hwy) in Soldotna is a great place. There is another one over on Kalifornsky Beach Rd ( can't recall the name offhand).

As for being worth it- I think it is for several reasons. One- I dont have a vacuum packer. Two- It saves alot of time. Three- dont have a freezer available. Four- I bring my fish back with me as checked baggage (want it VERY FROZEN).

AK custom did a great job for me. I have the vac sealer and all, but when I ended up with 55 fish, plus my friends 55, I didn't want to spend the next day filleting and vac sealing, not to mention freezing them. From an "is it worth it" stand again that is your call but for me it was. I dropped off 110 fillets, they vacuumed them and flash froze them to be picked up the next day. $300 later, I was done. Filleted fish is $1.30 per lb.
    Tony

There's an outfit on Big Eddy road that vac seals and freezes your pre-cleaned fillets for, I believe, 25-cents per pound. It's located on the same lot as the Enchanted Forrest Tea Shoppe about a mile down Big Eddy on the left. There is a small RV park and cabin rentals operation at the same spot.

Apparently, they processed some 1500# of sockeye yesterday!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!