Thread: Shipping a Lab puppy?

Default Shipping a Lab puppy?

Hi,

I will be the proud owner of a lab puppy in a few months, I wanted to ask for advice on shipping it up from Northern California. Anything I should be aware of, is one airline prefered over another...etc. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I've only had one 8 week old Chessie pup shipped from the Lower 48, but have 2 dogs that've been shipped to Idaho several times. Shipping to/from Fairbanks is pretty limited to Alaska Airlines, but have had good luck with them (knock on wood!). Puppies have to be minimum of 8 weeks old, have a current health certificate from a vet, be in an airline-approved crate, they require a minimum of 2 hrs. when changing flight, they do have temperature cut-offs, and you have to make reservations at least 24 hrs. in advance. I try to minimize the number of flight changes & choose non-stop routes (Fairbanks-Seattle, then Seattle-final destination). They have a brochure at http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...al-Express.pdf The minimum cost for shipping animals was $150 + $6.40 tax last time I checked. My pup was enroute for 11+ hrs. from Denver, cost the minimum to ship, but arrived with tail wagging in a clean, dry crate.

Hope this helps!

Karen

Robert,

I second what Karen had to say. Alaska Air is great with shipping dogs, and I'm sure your breeder will have plenty of experience shipping the pups. I've only had one 10 week old pup shipped from the lower 48, and he arrived in December at 40 below with tail wagging and dry crate. I've shipped older dogs with Ak Air plenty and one once ended up 'stranded' for two days trying to get into Petersburg. She spent one night in Ketchikan and another night in Juneau. The Ak Air crew was fabulous! Kept great communication through out the whole ordeal, and the dog did not appear as traumatized as would have been expected. She was very well loved and cared for along the way.

I'm sure your pup will have an uneventful trip north!

Good luck with your new companion!
    CW

Default alaska airlines shipping animals

My hubby used to work for AA. They really are great dealing with the animals and take the responsibility very seriously, especially here in Alaska. He was always telling me what came in in the way of pups.

Direct flights are always best, but if that is not possible, small regional airports tend to have more involved people. They do read notes that are attached to kennels

here here. I agree with everyone's comments. I had a pup (Banks) sent up from Wisconsin and he arrived with no issues. He came out of the kennel like he owned the place. Don't worry man your pup will be in good hands.

Richie

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Alaska Airlines. 'nuff said.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

AA is great. I couple things to be sure of doing before shipping. No plastic ties are allowed to hold your crate together, must be screws or orgional equipment. Make sure there are no cracks, etc in crate plastic. Allways check around and try for most direct flight with no layover or minimum layover or plane switch. In summer sometimes ground temp makes a huge difference. Best to try and send on early morning flight, especially if flying out of Sacramento, most airlines won't accept if hotter then a minimum temp, like 75* or something. Be sure and check normal temp at shipping time when you book and see if they will ship, most likely any connection would be in Portland or Seattle, usually ok but need to verify temps there during times pup will be on ground there if that should occur. I've shipped AA and Delta both with no problem.

Hehehe, once picke up our year old pup at Anchorage, upon getting him at baggage, and realizing he had been crated for quite a while, I immediately took him out of kennel on lead and went to the door to get him out to releive himself. He had to go bad, and left a stream of poop all the way though the terminal to where we got him outside. Had quite a laugh from the crowd there picking up their baggage. Bud

AA maybe good with handeling your og, but they are the most expensive carrier. We had a dog shipped up from WI, and they were $150 more expensive than any one else. Our dog flew Frontier from Detroit. Everything went awesome, and he did super well. One stop in Atown I believe. AA was also rude on the phone when we contacted them. Iused to love AA, but their service and well abot everything has slowly gone down hill. JMO.

Default find somebody traveling

I've posted in the past about bringing a pup out of MN. I found a traveler that agreed to accompany the pup from MN to Fairbanks. The breeder dropped off the pup at the appropriate time, the pup was put on the plane as accompanied baggage, it cost less, and the pup was less likely to be bumped.
    I bought the lady some flowers and paid her $50 for essentially not having to do anything other than be on the same plane as my pup.
    The pup, if connections worked out right, could go in the cabin under the seat. It did not work out for me.
    Just an idea, and in my opinion, way better than dealing with freight.
    And oh yeah, I saved money too.

Another tip on having any dog shipped is to get one of those bowls that attatch to the side of the crate and freeze the water in there. You then don't have to worry about them spilling and they can lick on the ice when they get thirsty
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

ARR's suggestion is great IF you can find someone traveling and the connections all work out. The no zip ties rule must've gone into effect after Nov. 20th.

Alaska Airlines has gotten pickier about crate size in the last year (or less). Has anyone ever checked into getting a note from their vet stating the dog should be shipped in "x" size crate for safety reasons? For example, I have a 62 lb. Chessie & they insisted she be shipped in a 500 crate. What the heck? That's way too big for her, but they have you over a barrel. Not only that, but adds another $200 to the shipping charges. Any ideas on dealing with that?

Karen

Wow,
    I am getting a great response. The pup will be flying out of Eureka Calif. so I don't think temps. will be a problem there, maybe in Seattle or Portland though. Thanks for the great information, I can't wait to get my new friend.

Robert