Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gotta rant.......

Default gotta rant.......

I realize that some pple think that they are above everybody else, but if you pull up to another persons crab/shrimp pot...... LEAVE IT THE **** ALONE!!!!!! I went out with a friend of mine yesterday and we had 2 king crab pots and 3 dungie pots and every single one was pulled!!!! It costs the people who actually go out and try it on their own, alot of time and money........ i just wish once that i could catch somebody pulling a pot of mine....
    If you are one of the pple that pulls somebody elses pot, the VERY LEAST you can do is REBAIT IT!!!!!!!!!!! and set it back in the same area.

i pull people pots all the time. i thought pots were like sharing or something. Never thought to rebate them, i always thought that responibility fell under the owner of the pot. it's kind of a relief after a hard day of fishing and not catching anything to pull someone elses crab pot to get a meal. I would like to say thanks to everyone sharing their crab pots with me.

I' m just kidding
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Ok, you had multiple pots set in different locations, and they ALL were pulled, and reset in different locations? Sorry, but it sounds like you need to buy some longer lines, or set in shallower water. How far were they 'moved' from where they were set? How often does your friend set pots?

Sorry to be so negitive to a new poster here, but it seems like if there was really a theft problem, it would would effect the guys that have pots out all of the time (like Potbuilder) as much or more than the occasional weekend shrimper, which doesn't seem to be the case.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

JR... so you're saying that the tide moved the guys pots while removing the bait and the bounty?

Pot thieves are a real problem. What a guy needs to do is set a bait string not too far off shore in a slightly out of the way spot and then setup on a bluff with a .50 cal. When the thieves show up and start pulling your pot, put one through the motor. Go back out and pick up the rest of your buoys and head home.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

my fix for the problem is i put c4 charges in the pot and have a trigger device that once submerged, detects when the pot is out of water agian and detonates. i write a small warning on the bouy in times new roman font size 1 thats states "warning will blow the #*!& up if you pull" just for legality issues.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

well lets see here, there is about 75' of scope on the king pots and about 15 on the dungie......... ALLLLLLLLLLLL of the bait hooks and bait jars were open and just hanging in the pot, last time i checked the current isnt strong enough to open thoes, the dungie pots they were closed wrong, we take the rubber on the top and loop it thru the wire mesh to keep it open, anddddd the dungie pots weigh about 80 pounds each........... we arent what you call "weekend" crabbers/shrimpers, been doing it a while

And then "Why were the bait jars open?" as in why would the potrobber do that, clean out the bait jars for ya?
    Actually Octopus can and will do that, Really, another good reason for Stone Cold Empty Pots, but other than that possibility

I AGREE COMPLETELY with your original RANT,

If You Didn't Buy It, Rig It, Bait It, Set It, DON"T PULL IT for any reason

Now if we can only get the Pus to read this stuff
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    And then "Why were the bait jars open?" as in why would the potrobber do that, clean out the bait jars for ya?
    Actually Octopus can and will do that, Really, another good reason for Stone Cold Empty Pots, but other than that possibility

I AGREE COMPLETELY with your original RANT,

If You Didn't Buy It, Rig It, Bait It, Set It, DON"T PULL IT for any reason

Now if we can only get the Pus to read this stuff
    I doubt the octopus would open the pot door and then reclose it tying it differently though.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    i pull people pots all the time. i thought pots were like sharing or something.
    Yeah its all in the name of subsistence. Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you don't want your pots pulled then you must be like me. Anti-subsistence. Get it any way you can regardless of what other resource users feet you step on. thats subsistence
    carry-on

^rep points added.

Its Darwin at its best, survival of the fittest!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I doubt the octopus would open the pot door and then reclose it tying it differently though.
    That's good Drifter, now you know it's happening, Just To Clarify I do believe there are pots being robbed up there and am as disgusted as the next guy with that, Ridiculous Laziness in my opinion,

What I am trying to get out there for some folks, is that there are a bunch of legit reasons why your pots come back empty that are NOT PotRobbers, just to help from my experience,

as a professional Pot Fisherman for many years. I've been through that whole "Aaaaarrghgh, Somebody's pulling my gear," thing and then found it not to be true. Instead there was something I needed to learn. Which I believe is good fishing to figure out other reasons why they might be empty, it's also somewhat lazy to just Blame Somebody else, You don't learn anything that way.

But if you know they were in there, go ahead and well...... I have no idea what you do next beside rant away on the internet.

On a lighter note, from what I've seen, An Octopus probaby could retie your pot doors a different way, and probably laugh all the way to the next string full of shrimp.......(man, I've got to figure out how to use those winking face things again, emoticons?)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    That's good Drifter, now you know it's happening, Just To Clarify I do believe there are pots being robbed up there and am as disgusted as the next guy with that, Ridiculous Laziness in my opinion,

What I am trying to get out there for some folks, is that there are a bunch of legit reasons why your pots come back empty that are NOT PotRobbers, just to help from my experience,

as a professional Pot Fisherman for many years. I've been through that whole "Aaaaarrghgh, Somebody's pulling my gear," thing and then found it not to be true. Instead there was something I needed to learn. Which I believe is good fishing to figure out other reasons why they might be empty, it's also somewhat lazy to just Blame Somebody else, You don't learn anything that way.

But if you know they were in there, go ahead and well...... I have no idea what you do next beside rant away on the internet.

On a lighter note, from what I've seen, An Octopus probaby could retie your pot doors a different way, and probably laugh all the way to the next string full of shrimp.......(man, I've got to figure out how to use those winking face things again, emoticons?)

When you are replying to a post click on the "Go Advanced" button. The emoticons will be on the right side of the form. If you click More a window will open with a bunch of different ones you can use.
    On the advanced mode you can also preview your post to see how it looks before posting it.

I'll back vermilion on this one. It's just a coincidence that I know whose pots he was checking last night. One of the dungie pots still has the huge weight bars in the bottom, it easily weighs 100 lbs and could only be pulled with a pot puller. The two king crab pots had plenty of scope, close to 100'. the person has had issues with with people checking his pots in the past. Although i doubt any of the Juneau guys on this forum were guilty in this case. You're preaching to the choir on this board.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Default The Choir, All Here?

[QUOTE=AKBoater; You're preaching to the choir on this board.[/QUOTE]

This is unfortunately Undoubtedly True,

However, "What can a guy do?",

But, Set-up an Ambush by anchoring nearby with Swarovski's,

or just, Deal With It,

Ok got the Emoticons down,thanks Drifter, and
    LAST But Not Least, "KEEP HAVING FUN OUT THERE"

Default Way to go.

Nicely done with the smileys

I dig the new options.....
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Default I Feel For Your Friend, Vermillion

I have no doubt that your friend's pots were hit by experienced thieves. That is what it is like running gear here in Juneau. If you beat the thieves to your pots and get crab or shrimp you have to consider yourself very lucky. I have friends who have set their gear and and moved off a considerable distance where they could keep an eye on their gear and still do some fishing. (A real good idea, by the way.) In one case I remember they said that they couldn't believe how quickly after they dropped their pots that their gear was hit by a cruiser coming out of Amalga from the launch ramp. They drove over and had the guys dead-to-rights with their crab pot alongside their boat; took multiple pictures and turned in their pictures to the Troopers. During the last Red King crab season a couple of years back they got more than two sets of pictures of different thieves in the same day.

For this very reason I haven't bothered to rig my boat to set and haul personal pot gear here in Juneau. I don't know if I could be quite so calm and collected if I found someone with my pot on (or alongside) their boat.

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post

For this very reason I haven't bothered to rig my boat to set and haul personal pot gear here in Juneau. I don't know if I could be quite so calm and collected if I found someone with my pot on (or alongside) their boat.
    I hear you.
    I think their boat would have several 12 guage slug holes miraculously appear just below the water line if it were me.

This might work:
    One thing I've seen done in the Bering Sea (as joke to friends on other boats, well heard of it anyway....) was to tie a balloon full of "Something REALLY Nasty" just about ten/twenty fathoms down the buoyline, when they threw the line in the block and hit Full Bore, that thing would slap into the block and SPLATTER ALL OVER the Hauler guy, and anyone else nearby.
    Of course we're all covered in raingear so not so bad, except on a sunny day........ Whew and I do mean those boys could come up with "NASTY," pretty well. You can imagine, That stuff would get all over the Blockman's face and down his neck no matter how much gear he had on, It just FLIES off the Block and all over the Deck

Not sure it would work if these guys are using smaller blocks to haul or hauling slow, but if they are "Experienced Robbers" they probably have a faster block and it might be fun to watch, could maybe use paint or something to mark "The Accused"

Just make sure your hauler guy remembers it's on there.....

How does that go, "Payback is a ............."

Wonder what the Troopers crew would think of that? Probably Legal.............

I saw that done by the guys on deadliest catch one year.
    They were real nice and just used a big plastic bag full of flour.

A balloon full of skunk oil mixed with pepper spray might work.
    Or if there was a way to keep a really ticked off wolverine alive down there, that would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I saw that done by the guys on deadliest catch one year.
    They were real nice and just used a big plastic bag full of flour.

A balloon full of skunk oil mixed with pepper spray might work.
    Or if there was a way to keep a really ticked off wolverine alive down there, that would be fun.
    This has been discussed on here in the past. The main problem is if the Troopers pull your pot to see if youre gear is legal or not you would get them in the process.
    I sure wish I could do something like this. Would be hard to deny it with bright red paint all over the side of their boat. I would have loved to catch whoever got away with one of ny crab pots and a friends pot last year.
    Someone last year mentioned a bag of UV dye tied on the line of their commercial dungy pots. They hunted the docks at night with a blacklight to find the culprit and it was pretty obvious I guess this boat stopped their thivery after being caught.
    One thing I have always wondered is how they can go out with their friends or family and nobody else on the boat has the balls to confront the thief? If I was with a friend or family member and they tried to pull another persons gear while I was on the boat I would have to stop them. I guess thieves must hang out together. Another crazy thought is they are probably teaching their kids that this kinda stuff is OK.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast