Thread: cooper rifle

Default cooper rifle

I have been thinking about getting a cooper rifle in a 338-06. I was wondering if anyone has any input on these rifles likes/dislikes ect. They guarrantee .5 out of the box. Any one have some input for someone that is going to spend to much on a rifle. Who is the distrubuter in Anchorage.

I own three. A Custom Classic all decked out and then a LVT and one Jackson Squirrel rifle. Can't say there is anything I dislike about them except the prices but IMO they are worth the money and Cooper has exceptional customer service.
    Ordered upgraded wood on the Custom Classic and was very disappointed after the rifle was built. Even though Cooper stood there ground and claimed the wood was the correct grade I ordered they agreed to restock the rifle. Within two months it was finished and this time around I was a happy camper.
    The rifles are like a bank vault. Bolt travel is very smooth and precise and fit and finish are fantastic. Of course they are also very accurate.
    No local dealers that I know of so all of mine were ordered thru First Stop Rifles in ND. Dealt with Mark whom I think is the owner. Great guy to do business with. Just received a left handed CZ 550 from him and his prices were unbeatable.
    http://www.firststopguns.com/
    Plan on ordering a Jackson Hunter in 30-06 within a month or two.

The general opinion of shooters who own these rifles is NOT to order upgraded wood as it turns out to be a crap shoot. If wood is super important to you order a rifle already built and listed on Gunsamerica or Gunbrokers so you can see what you are buying. Wood grades continue to slide down the scale as time passes due to rarity and escalating prices. What might be considered AAA 5 years ago might be called Exhibition grade today.

Otherwise, great rifles and they deliver. Very happy with all of mine.
    Tennessee

Check this thread out FYI....

I purchased one in a 30/06 classic model 52 from the Fairbanks SW. It had been there for two years. Like many things at SW I watched its price slowly slide as it didn't sell. When it hit 1199.00 I pulled the trigger. The wood is good but not exceptional. However, it is the most accurate rifle that I have shot. I broke it in as they suggested to do with the 1 then clean, 2 then clean,...until you have 50 shots through it. I noticed that it was tricky when you are shooting because it often sends bullet into bullet. I got a 5 shot group at .75 at 200 yards with federal blue box 150 grain spire points. I put a VX2 3-9x40MM matte leupold on it and is a very good set up.
    Once you get one you will want another one. Wild West is looking to get people interested in ordering them so they can become Alaskan dealers. I would do it but not until after hunting season. I really would like to get a model 54 in 7X57 or 7-08 as they weigh 6.25 lbs with the same accuracy- Perfect for Sheep and Goats.
    The 338-06 would be an exceptional Alaskan gun as well.
    I registered my gun with their customer service and they noted that they were coming out with magnum versions of the Model 52 in 7Rem, 300 Win and 338 Win Mag which all should be very popular in Alaska.
    You are looking at a 2000.00 gun but with everything that you would want. They actually come with about 2.5 lb trigger without creep from the factory.

They are very nice.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I have a Jackson Game in 30-06. Very unusual wood, unbelievable accuracy, and extremely well made. It has to be far and away the best rifle you can buy for the money or even a lot more money. In a recent conversation with the factory, they told me that the 300 Win Mag was in the works, possibly by this fall.

The only slight and picky thing I did not like was the limited size of the magazine. In 30-06 it will only hold three (3) cartridges. Most will hold four or more in that caliber.
    NRA Life Member since 1974