Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai dipnetters...

Default Kenai dipnetters...

If you have the pleasure of being on the water tonight you had the fun we did. Great fishing in a 1 hour run. Awesome, what else can be said. Really wonder what the count is that will be posted.

Good luck
    Tony

I got 2 Kenai reports from different friends last night. Each fished about 4 hours and there were a couple people with separate permits in each party. One pair got 65 and the other got 70 fish. They were working from a boat.

Contrast that with another friend who went out the day before (Wednesday) and spent 8 hours on the water with only 9 fish for the whole day.

So there was a big 'ol slug a Reds that rolled in yesterday morning. Kenai is going to be an absolute Zoo this weekend. Please drive and boat carefully out there!!!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Just got a call from a friend on the water now. 2 five foot nets from the boat and they have 51 fish since in 3 hrs.

I'm at the city Dock now. Not too bad of a wait. And everyone is coming in with fish. And lots of it.

Went out Thursday nite (boat) at 7:15pm & pulled out at 10:55pm (3 hrs 35 min) and had 50 fish (no Kings).... went out again Friday morning at 6:30am to 10:15am and got another 43 fish (no Kings).....

I didn't do so well from the beach today. I got there at 6am and was still stuck at zero at noon. I didn't fish about a third of that time due to the large breakers coming in and the difficulty of keeping my net out in the very strong outgoing tide. It was a pretty discouraging morning, but I finally got into some fish after 12:30. I ended up with 7 - all caught within two hours before it died off again. I've done exceedingly well the last two years from the beach with easy limits both times, but today had me wanting to go the boat route again. Not a bad day in the water, though, and 14 fillets isn't something to be upset about.

Monday through Wednesday I picked up my limit of reds (54) left one open for a king. My buddy came down Wednesday night to fish Thursday and Friday but we left the docks to fish the incoming tide via boat at about 1:00pm yesterday. By 4 we had 14, by 4:45 we had his limit of 55 plus I filled my tag with a King . It wasn't dip netting, it was more like flipping. Didn't even have time to bleed em. What a blast of a time. One of those trips you'll be telling stories about for years.

I really thought the count was going to be a 55k run but was shocked to see it was only 22.6k. Besides the weekend zoo, should be good flipping.

Best of luck and be safe.
    Tony

Default boat dipping isn't always the answer

I spent 3 days on Kenai beach, and saw the big breakers twice in that time. The poor guys that did go out were standing in shin-deep water, and every breaker got their hair wet. And of course the reds have more sense (or likely, instinct) to not come that close to shore in that kind of weather.

My third day of dipping from shore was better than either of the following two days of boat dipping, so don't pass it about that boat dipping always solves catch-em-slow problems.

When they're in, they're in. And when they're not, you work hard for every one. Both situations are fun I think.

I'm really glad that I have 90&#37; of the large limit I am allowed to get. Likely I'll call it quits at this point, unless I go proxy-dip for someone that can't get out so well. Support your elders (with fish) is a point I'll drive home every chance I get; 'course I'm not old, like King, or even close - who is? ( <---- Smilie is aimed only at King.)

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    My third day of dipping from shore was better than either of the following two days of boat dipping, so don't pass it about that boat dipping always solves catch-em-slow problems.
    Oh, I know that. I've had slow days in a boat, so it's not a cure-all. The problem is that I couldn't hold my net in the water for half of the morning. If in a boat, at least my net would have been wet. The best I saw any single person do yesterday was probably ~15 fish, and one large family with 4-5 nets took about 25. Meanwhile boat reports od 50 fish averages are rolling in. I have done phenominally well from shore and really enjoy the atmosphere, but on some days a boat does give an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I didn't do so well from the beach today. I got there at 6am and was still stuck at zero at noon. I didn't fish about a third of that time due to the large breakers coming in and the difficulty of keeping my net out in the very strong outgoing tide. It was a pretty discouraging morning, but I finally got into some fish after 12:30. I ended up with 7 - all caught within two hours before it died off again. I've done exceedingly well the last two years from the beach with easy limits both times, but today had me wanting to go the boat route again. Not a bad day in the water, though, and 14 fillets isn't something to be upset about.
    Not sure when you left Brian, but let me tell ya, you should have hung around all day. It was a rough morning on the south side as well. On the outgoing tide in the afternoon it picked up a little and we ended up with 10 fish. Sounds like about the same time you were getting yours. We left the beach and headed to camp to clean them and have dinner. Luckily, I decided to leave my net at the beach and come back for more later. Getting dinner and the fish cleaned took longer than I hoped, so I was kind of bummed leaving camp to head back at 9:45. All I could think was "I'm probably missing it right now."

Got to the beach and asked some folks how things were going --> "slow" they all said. It was about 10 after 10 and I debated heading back to camp or putting in until 11. I decided to give it a go. About 2 minutes, I ended up with a double. A couple minutes later, I got another double. Over the course of the next 50 minutes or so, I pulled in 17 fish - including four true doubles. It was unbelievable. I could never really imagine how you pulled those 33 out in 2 1/2 hours that one time. Now I know. The waves were still hitting pretty hard, and I even took a couple over my head when pulling fish in. Luckily I did not get knocked over. Took a good deal of water in the waders, but when pulling in fish that fast, you really don't seem to notice it as much as you do when you are just standing there doing nothing. Michelle was right - the fish do come in on the day you come down there Brian.

Ended the day with 27 total. My next to last fish was so stinkin' tangled, and there was about 1 minute until 11. Since I could not get him out, I just left him in, put the net back out, and picked up another for double number 5 (although I don't really count that as a double). We went back today and fished a couple hours - outgoing tide - and picked up 10 more, for a total of 42 (5 from Thursday).

By the way, law enforcement is out there, so follow the rules. I had an officer come up to me at 11:35 and ask if I got out of the water at 11. There were a number of people dipping until 11:15 even, which sort of surprised me. But I did get out at 11. When he came up to me, I had already washed all my fish down and my cooler, and was then trying to get that next to last fish out of the net still. He looked at me and said "are you trying to tell me you've been trying to get that fish out of that net for 35 minutes." I laughed, but then realized how guilty I looked. So I explained that the fish had been in the net quite awhile, and I had already spent time finishing everything else, and this was all I had left to do. There was a guy next to me cleaning his fish that backed me up, so it worked out ok. He asked if I had permits/tags, and when I told him I did, he just said "ok," but did not want to see them. Finally got the fish out and headed back to camp. On the way back to camp - I rode my atv on the K-Beach rd. ATV trail - I had another fish cop stop me at the light at the Ames bridge. He asked about tags and permits as well, and when I told him I would gladly pull them out for him, he said it was ok, he was just checking. It was kind of odd, because I have seen them check for clipped tails, cards filled out right, etc., but these guys did not seem that interested. I imagine they checked a few folks though.

Outgoing tides seem to be the best. My wife commented today when we were driving back about how we definitely do not need to get out of bed so early next year to hit the incoming tides. Right at high tide, and then when it starts heading out, all the way to low tide, and just as it turns - the fish were all over the place.

Good dippin' to all.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Kenia on the 17th

we went out at 6:20 in the am and got twenty steped out for two hours to get some one else and came back in fish ed for a while then high tide hit and we were getting triples. Best dip netting ever, pulled in 97 in all amoung every body in the boat two people netting one driving.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Right at high tide, and then when it starts heading out, all the way to low tide, and just as it turns - the fish were all over the place.
    My experience as well the other day when I was down there, but on the Kasilof river. The fish do go crazy with the tide going out. Two of us got 50 that way in very short order.

had a smok'n good time dipping, went down on the 17th and was very slow in the morning and only had 8 fish in the cooler after tackling very large breakers...that afternoon around 2:00 it was on and had 26 more fish and finally called it quits around 5:00.i was thinking how in the world people catch a limit with the first round then got hot and learned me real quick. looked at the numbers and 62,000 is deffintly crazy good. good luck to all and have fun out there. even during the low times if i got about 5' farther out then the rest and got a lot more wet i caught a lot more fish....

Very glad to hear that you did well, jmg. That really makes me happy! Maybe this year I'll need to come over to your house for a salmon dinner once a week. I'm planning to go late this week for another try - either Thursday or Friday. I'm worried that I will have missed the big push, but I don't have much choice in the matter right now. Kid #2 has temporarily complicated matters, so a day here and a day there is the best I can hope for. It would have been nice to stay Friday night, but after getting up at 1:45am to start the drive down, I would have been a mess if I stayed that late. Glad it worked out for you, though.

We had four permits to fill totaling 140 fish. Got 90 on Friday and finished up on Saturday in two hours. We are done early!! My hands are tired. The only downer of the weekend was having to wait two and a half hours in the trailer line to get the boat out of the water. I'm pretty sure everyone who went dippin this weekend filled their permit.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Very glad to hear that you did well, jmg. That really makes me happy! Maybe this year I'll need to come over to your house for a salmon dinner once a week. I'm planning to go late this week for another try - either Thursday or Friday. I'm worried that I will have missed the big push, but I don't have much choice in the matter right now. Kid #2 has temporarily complicated matters, so a day here and a day there is the best I can hope for. It would have been nice to stay Friday night, but after getting up at 1:45am to start the drive down, I would have been a mess if I stayed that late. Glad it worked out for you, though.
    Here's to hoping another 100k fish come in when you get there Brian.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

We got 84 in 3 1/2 hours Friday night from a boat. We ran from the big rock to the cannery mostly, occasionally riding almost all the way to the sign. Boat dipping is a lot of fun.

The scene at the Kasilof was fairly peaceful from Sunday-Tuesday but turned into a shanty town by Thursday night.

I'll be boat dipping from now on

What a great time! I never would have went without some encouragement from folks in the dipnetting forum. Thanks!

I'm off to smoke more fish.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

29 at Kenai's north beach (2 people fishing) in 10 hours yesterday. Great weather, fairly calm sea, no crowds, very nice folks. Big fish, too.

I got there on the 18th at about 330PM......By 430 I had 20 of my 25. It was hot and I have never, and probably never will be, that lucky as too hit it at the perfect time like that again....lol
    Threw back alot of smaller ones, but a few I had to keep.
    One run netted 5 fish...
    FISH ON!!!!!

I am done for the season unless I feel froggy and go to fill a proxy for someone that needs and will use the fish...

I read from nerka said the comm guys fish mondays and thursdays is this correct. My slope buddy gets home the end of this week and we were gonna grab the boat run down sunday early and fish for the day. What is the chance the comm guys won't be fishing? I hope to fill the freezer like last season with beautiful big reds
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast