Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Whos building a shack this year?

  1. #1

    Default Whos building a shack this year?

    Well I sold my 8x12 insulated with a propane hdirect vent heater for 1300 bucks last spring so im gonna build a 8x14 this year. gonna have the works wired for 12 volt card table tv dvd 4 burner stove new 22000 btu direct vent heater with thermastat. will sleep 4 easily 6 with cots even got a couch outta a motor home that folds to a bed. Gonna be sweet. Heavy but sweet will be putting it in the usual places on lake louise and susitna. Cant wait.

  2. #2
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Be sure to put a bucket in for human waste. I got an earful this spring from a guy that has had it with all the TP and crap on his land. Dube.... it was BAD. 4 months worth in a small area. Get a bucket with a heavy duty trash bag and one of those nifty seats. Let it freeze, throw in dumpster.

    I am looking to build one. Have a few things, don't need to be fancy......

    What are you going to pull yours with?

  3. #3
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Be sure to put a bucket in for human waste. I got an earful this spring from a guy that has had it with all the TP and crap on his land. Dube.... it was BAD. 4 months worth in a small area. Get a bucket with a heavy duty trash bag and one of those nifty seats. Let it freeze, throw in dumpster.

    I am looking to build one. Have a few things, don't need to be fancy......

    What are you going to pull yours with?
    Better yet, build a wooden seat with rigid foam insulation glued to it. It is warm and toasty when you have a sit down.
    When I go winter camping I use a 6 gal bucket with my home made seat in a 2 man pop up shelter that is my washroom. Don't like to stink out the fishin' or sleepin' diggs.

  4. #4

    Default

    Good call i think we are actually gonna build an outhouse with a 5 gallon pail and use heavy duty trash bags. should be a cool addition the the "town"

  5. #5

    Default I agree...

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Be sure to put a bucket in for human waste. I got an earful this spring from a guy that has had it with all the TP and crap on his land. Dube.... it was BAD. 4 months worth in a small area. Get a bucket with a heavy duty trash bag and one of those nifty seats. Let it freeze, throw in dumpster.

    I am looking to build one. Have a few things, don't need to be fancy......

    What are you going to pull yours with?

    Wow! That's just nasty. It never crossed my mind to use where you fish as a bathroom. I always went into the woods and make a habit out of burning the paper afterwords where ever I go. Man, just another example of people who care only about themselves and no one else. Just sad....
    Last edited by alaskanassasin; 07-17-2010 at 13:04. Reason: spelling
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  6. #6

    Default

    Where we fish alot of people come out for the day and fish we used the bucket method and the lodge most of the time. The only reason he brought it up to me was because he knows i fish in those particular areas. Im sure he'll chime in and confirm this. We are some of the cleanest fisherman on the lake. If you go into the woods to use the bathroom whos woods are those you are using? This is the problem people going into the woods. Burn the paper or not the crap is still there. and i agree just another example of people who care only about themselves.

  7. #7
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Where we fish alot of people come out for the day and fish we used the bucket method and the lodge most of the time. The only reason he brought it up to me was because he knows i fish in those particular areas. Im sure he'll chime in and confirm this. We are some of the cleanest fisherman on the lake. If you go into the woods to use the bathroom whos woods are those you are using? This is the problem people going into the woods. Burn the paper or not the crap is still there. and i agree just another example of people who care only about themselves.
    I was definitely NOT pointing a finger at Dube!! He was not fishing the area that I am referring to at all this past winter. If his group had pottied on the land behind where they were located, they wouldn't get to use one of the lodges either! His only infraction is the rodent on his head!

    Almost all of the land around Lake Louise is private. Please remember that most people get their water from the lake. It is tested many times a year and the results are documented by DEC. If there is a failure, it will be investigated and the reason brought up at state level. I would not want to be the one that forced all those people to have to carry water. If you must use the woods, remember that DEC requires outhouses to be 100 feet from high water mark.

    Thanks,
    Mike

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Where we fish alot of people come out for the day and fish we used the bucket method and the lodge most of the time. The only reason he brought it up to me was because he knows i fish in those particular areas. Im sure he'll chime in and confirm this. We are some of the cleanest fisherman on the lake. If you go into the woods to use the bathroom whos woods are those you are using? This is the problem people going into the woods. Burn the paper or not the crap is still there. and i agree just another example of people who care only about themselves.

    The "crap" as you put it is biodegrateable. And if the land is not posted then how is anyone to know? I go far enough I believe. As for burning the paper thats just because it stays around much longer. In the summer I just bury it like most people do. I'm talking about going where other people fish. The fact is that should never have to happen. A little common sense people...
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  9. #9
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    The land is posted.... it even says no crapping. Use a bucket with a plastic liner. It will freeze solid. Then throw it in the dumpster on the way out. Better yet, run u to the campground and use the DOT potty.

  10. #10

    Default

    You can play with your buckets.... Me I'll just wait till I get home as usual.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  11. #11
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    I'd like to build a shack this year. I was thinking for the floor something simple like 1 sheet of 3/8 w/ 4 fishing holes w/ hinged doors mount it on 4x4 skags that I can attach to some old downhill skis. Then make 3/8 gable ends 8' at the peak w/ a door on one end and attach them to the floor w/ a piano hinge. Then attach blue tarp to the gable ends and floor w/ survey lathe. To erect it i'll wedge a closet dowel between the 2 gable ends. It'll be fully collapsable and easily pulled by hand or towed w/ a machine, plus it'll cost about 30 bucks total. One small colman propane heater and its shirtsleeve fishing
    There won't be any bathroom facilities however, I'm old school it'll be the "arctic panic" for me...6 inches of clothes and 3 inches of pecker

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'd like to build a shack this year. I was thinking for the floor something simple like 1 sheet of 3/8 w/ 4 fishing holes w/ hinged doors mount it on 4x4 skags that I can attach to some old downhill skis. Then make 3/8 gable ends 8' at the peak w/ a door on one end and attach them to the floor w/ a piano hinge. Then attach blue tarp to the gable ends and floor w/ survey lathe. To erect it i'll wedge a closet dowel between the 2 gable ends. It'll be fully collapsable and easily pulled by hand or towed w/ a machine, plus it'll cost about 30 bucks total. One small colman propane heater and its shirtsleeve fishing
    There won't be any bathroom facilities however, I'm old school it'll be the "arctic panic" for me...6 inches of clothes and 3 inches of pecker
    Your idea sounds perfect! I have too many "store bought" portables to build one but if I did it would be like yours. Simple and PORTABLE. The large houses are great for comfort and would work in front of your house or cabin to fish a spot you have faith is pretty good most of the time. But I hunt fish. The lakes I go to are back country so I don't have to deal with the problems mentioned above. The bad part is I'm limited to light weight sleds and houses to access them.

    All that said, half the fun of our sport is building your own gear and using it. I work on my rigs and sleds from time to time all summer. So I'm sure I'll end up constructing something in the future.

    fullbush, remember to post some pics when you get it done!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  13. #13
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Your idea sounds perfect! I have too many "store bought" portables to build one but if I did it would be like yours. Simple and PORTABLE. The large houses are great for comfort and would work in front of your house or cabin to fish a spot you have faith is pretty good most of the time. But I hunt fish. The lakes I go to are back country so I don't have to deal with the problems mentioned above. The bad part is I'm limited to light weight sleds and houses to access them.

    All that said, half the fun of our sport is building your own gear and using it. I work on my rigs and sleds from time to time all summer. So I'm sure I'll end up constructing something in the future.

    fullbush, remember to post some pics when you get it done!
    I still want a hardside shanty for those long cold winter nights. I am thinking about using my culvert skiis and building a 5X9. Propane heater and tunes! My soft side is just not comfortable enough for my old age. It is great for boondocking though.

    We should get together for some back country fishing. Pike and lakers.... just a thought.

  14. #14

    Default

    10-4 on the old age and comfort factor. Seems they go hand and hand with me anyway. Yeah we can hook up this year do some "exploration work". Wife is always after me to go with someone. Problem I found is taking some people can be more dangerous than going it alone where I only have myself to worry about. I'm sure you know what I mean if you've been up here any amount of time....
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  15. #15

    Default

    my otter lodge does me good....might try and get the windows changed out finally. got one that is cracked with a hole in it from the cold. Gonna hit up AK tent and tarp for some of the good stuff!

    Love the portability of it!!!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    my otter lodge does me good....might try and get the windows changed out finally. got one that is cracked with a hole in it from the cold. Gonna hit up AK tent and tarp for some of the good stuff!

    Love the portability of it!!!
    Need to do the same, but the clear packing tape worked so well I've been dragging my feet.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  17. #17
    Member huntalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Just starting this ice shack. Gonna be 8x12, 3 beds with all the goodies, heat , tv (vcr) , radio, stove. Sure to be a fish magnet..or a buddy magnet. Looking to find some skids or some older snowmachine skis for it , any tips? I will send more pics in as it comes together.. If it is gonna rain all year it might as well freeze soon.Attachment 36939Attachment 36940

  18. #18
    Member huntalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Another..Attachment 36941

  19. #19

    Default

    We use uhmw for our skis we mount it on the bottom of our runners then block the whole chabang up with 4x4s i was thinking that an old plastic truck bed liner could be cut and fastened to the bottom as well. Whem you do build your shack you should really think about an insulated floor makes a world of differance and a fan of some sorts we use the coleman fans from freddys takes 4 d batteries and lasts about 4 days. also check craigs list for a direct vent heater 10,000 is the minimun you will want good luck with your shack and ill post picks of the new one as it progresses

  20. #20
    Member huntalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    110

    Default

    SANY0417.jpgGetting closer, let it freeze..SANY0395.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •