Thread: South Central in June...

Default South Central in June...

I will be in south central (Homer / Fitz Creek) in the last week of June. Can anyone give me some suggestions as towards target species and patterns for that time of the year. This is my first trip to the area and I would appreciate any help possible!

Thanks!
    Jim

You can snag kings in the laggoon maybe, there might be some dollies too, other wise its bottom fishing for buts, oh and rockfish rockfish are way fun!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you get a chance to go offshore you'll have the opportunuty to do a combo king/halibut trip. You'll miss the last opening for the Anchor River for kings unless there's an emergency order to extend the season. It will be worth your time to drive up to the Russian River and fish sockeye, especially during the week. It'll still be busy but not like the weekends will be. Coho flies are cheap and plentiful at just about any store on the peninsula.

Here's a link to ADFG regs for the peninsula.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...SCkenaipen.pdf

if you're looking to fly fish exclusively, then you will find very little opportunity in homer itself. You can catch cod off the pilings real easy on a fly (strip a streamer slowly) just outside the harbor, but it's not a terribly exciting way to fish. You could attempt to catch a salmon on a fly in the lagoon or just outside of it, but it's certainly not the most effective way to fish there. I would go to the Anchor River about 30 minutes away and fish for dollies in the upper river (check regs first). The best fishing will be in the upper Kenai during that time (expect crowds). You can fish in and around the Russian River for sockeye and/or rainbows and dollies depending on what you're looking for.
    If you're a gear head, then it's a completely different story. Homer provides good opportunity for that kind of thing along with the lower Kenai River for Kings etc. Good luck.

Question

Great thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Im doing this on a shoe string budget (staying with friends) and a guide is not within my means for this trip (this time). From what I have been reading on these posts it looks like I will be hitting the Russian River. That looks like a given. I will be fly fishing exclusively on this trip and will be leaning to the sweet water vs the saline but I might take a day to see if I can drag up a halibut and maybe see what I can find around the lagoon. What weight rod should I try there? 10wt suitable? Im bringing an 8wt for rainbows, that goes against my grain since here on the east coast I ushally cast a 4wt to 6wt throwing midges and nymphs. But from what I've been reading I dont think your rainbows would even look at a #18 or #20 dry. And if they did... oh no! From what I've seen on some of these web sights it wouldn't be very pretty! Does an 8wt stand a chance against a Sockeye? I'm sure it might be okay for your rainbows (heck, your throwing stuff up there that I would throw to a largemouth down here, hence the thought of an 8wt...lol) Ive been tying flies commercially for years but these have been mostly eastern patterns or bass flies (dear hair). I would like to tye a few patterns (heck who am I kidding, more like all) for this trip. Could someone steer me in the right direction? Would this time of the year be suitable for flesh flies? I've already twisted up a couple dozen ESL's in different color combos (please tell me I didn't waste my time...) in #7, #8 and #9. What should I twist for the Kings in the lagoon, the sockeyes and the dollies? Im gonna spin some mice for the rainbows as well but any other thoughts about them (bows) as well? I hope everyone doesn't mind my picking their brains but if you cant tell I'm totally "STOKED" about this trip!!! Thanks again and please keep your ifo comming! One last question for now, I understand the Kenai is very deep and more suitable to float/boat. Is there any wade-able sections and how far up stream if they exist?

Kenia Lake is very deep, the river I wouldn't say is that deep but I haven't traveled the entire upper end either. I'm not a diehard flyfishermen but I always liked the purple eggsucking leach for the bows or egg patterns. There is plenty of wadable shoreline, when you start seeing cars you'll also see the people. I would think a good 8wt would be totally adequate. A reel with good drag imo is very important. Don't be fooled by the size of them sockeye, they are like dynomite.

I believe the sancuary usually opens just before you get here. That is the confuence of the Russian and the Kenia. It is generally loaded with fish and well....people. You can fish on up the russian if you want to disperse from the crowd some. I beleive it is about 3 miles to Lower Russian Lake (been a while since I hiked there). It is fishable all the way up to the marker just below the falls and the lake. I have seen some nice bows in there as well. Oh yeah, wear some of them little bells

I use an 8wt for reds and a 5 wt for bows, fish PT nymphs and fish the bows like they are east coast trout (that time of year they act like it!) if the reds are in thick and people are catching (and filleting) them you might try a flesh fly in the mornings. theres no reason to bring anything over an 8wt except as a backup rod. For kings in the laggoon they have a snagging opener around the 24th so you will
    want to hit it before then, go very early in the morning and use black and blue clousers. And the bows in the russian will look at size 16 caddis up top, I met a guy last august who was cleaning up on em with dries while there was a ton of eggs in the water. Hike to the lower lake and fish upstream from it, nothing huge but there are a lot of fish! And the sanctuary doesn't open untill July 15 unless theres an emergency order (there usually is) pm me with the exact dates of your trip and I can help you out a bit more..

If you are staying in Homer, the Anchor River is close, and good flyfishing. It is open below the Forks when you are coming in late June, and may be good shot at some rainbows and dollys. Also there are many lakes on the KP where still water fishing is good. An example might be the Swanson River system.

I agree with AK_PM, bring your 6wt and 8wt. Most people up here call the 7wt 9'0" to 10'0" their go-to rod. Certainly, sockeyes on the 8wt will be fine. Trout and dollies are tuned into the salmon runs, flesh and egg imitations really bring most of the fish in. Mousing only is productive very early and late in the season when the salmon flesh and eggs are not blooming. Not to say you can't catch rainbows on nymphs in late June, but you will have far better success on a bead or other egg imitation. The Alaska FlyFishers has a good website ( http://www.akflyfishers.com/ )with alot of different flies recommended for all of our AK species, as well as www.alaskaflyfish.net in the Gearup section.

Be sure you get familiar with the regulations, you can find the current ones at http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tral/kenai.cfm
    There may be changes when this years are re-issued after April 15, so make sure you check back. Also, you can review the run timing charts, and archives of the weekly fishing reports from prior years on the ADF&G site for the same time frame you are coming to give you an idea of what has happened in past years.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post

I agree with AK_PM, bring your 6wt and 8wt. Most people up here call the 7wt 9'0" to 10'0" their go-to rod. Certainly, sockeyes on the 8wt will be fine. Trout and dollies are tuned into the salmon runs, flesh and egg imitations really bring most of the fish in. Mousing only is productive very early and late in the season when the salmon flesh and eggs are not blooming.
    Late June is not a good time to use beads in the lower russian as no salmon are spawning, I find nymphs the most productive by far untill about august 15 +- 2 days when I switch to beads, I then stop fishing the russian after august 24th as there are too many eggs to compeat with and I switch to quartz creek, then about sept 20 its back to the russian. Flesh flies are only effecctive in late june if a lot of people are catching and filleting sockeye salmon. Very early in the season a orange bead pegged above a nymph can be deadly in high water but in the russian for the most part stick with nymphs its really hard to go wrong with them, even in august. I've never caught a fish on a mouse but I suspect that any bow large enough to eat a mouse will come take a look at any time. Check out Tony Route's 3 books I find them valuable tools when planning my adventures.