Thread: A movie at the Anchorage shooting range?

Default A movie at the Anchorage shooting range?

I can't really figure out why anyone would want that particular site, but there's a proposal out there to excavate one of the ranges at the Rabbit Creek shooting park, fill it with water, build sets, and film a movie there.

http://notes3.state.ak.us/pn/pubnoti...0?opendocument

I suppose they could have found an abandoned tire factory or something to increase the cost of digging a pit, but lead is pretty good for adding expense to a project all on its own...

Anybody know if this is related to the whale movie? And how long it might shut down the Rabbit Creek range?

The real irony is that rabbit creek rifle range has operated illegally for years with out a permit from The Alaska Coastal Management Program.

Doesn't the Rabbit Creek Range outdate the Alaska Coastal Management Program?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Doesn't the Rabbit Creek Range outdate the Alaska Coastal Management Program?
    I have heard than DNR is in the process of evaluating a permit for the range. I just find it ironic that they have permitted an activity at a facility which doesn't have a permit in the first place.

Interesting. I guess they figured it would be cheaper to film there then in Barrow, and wanted an area with water behind the set. I'm kinda pizzed about the idea of "temporarily" loosing one of the ranges, wonder which one they plan to dig up? Just my look, last weekend I took the boys down and got our yearly passes, and now we'll loose one of the ranges for the rest of the year.

I just learned of the movie thing yesterday when I was at the range. I was told that the movie set will be on the existing hand-gun range, and hand-gun shooting will be temporarily moved to the rim-fire range. I was also told that for a limited time the hours of operation may soon reduce/close during the week with extended hours on the weekends, and that season pass holders will get an extension on their passes in recognition of the reduced hours.

Doc

Will we get refunds on our membership fees for loss of use?

I was at the range last week, and they did mention that the range would be open Fri-Sun duing the filming, but they would open earlier and close later those three days. They didn't mention anything about season pass holders getting a refund, or their passes lasting longer than 12 calender months. Somewhat of a bummer as I'd just gotten a new pass for myself and the boys a couple weeks prior and they hadn't mentioned the closure.