Thread: Buying Muzzleloader for husband

Default Buying Muzzleloader for husband

Hi, I would like to buy a pistol muzzleloader kit for my husband as a gift. He loves guns, shoots regularly, and knows the ins and outs of most firearms. Any suggestions on what make/model pistol muzzleloader kit to purchase for a new muzzleloader builder/user? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Muzzleloader Rifle Kit

Quote Originally Posted by grnis View Post
    Hi, I would like to buy a pistol muzzleloader kit for my husband as a gift. He loves guns, shoots regularly, and knows the ins and outs of most firearms. Any suggestions on what make/model pistol muzzleloader kit to purchase for a new muzzleloader builder/user? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    After more research, I think I would like to get him a rifle so he can go waterfowl hunting. Any suggestions on a muzzle loader kit? thanks again!

I'm not that familiar with kits, but there are a few folks on here who know much more about them. BrownBear and a few others will chime in soon with good info....

He won't be able to waterfowl hunt with a rifle, but will need a shotgun instead. The only shotgun kits I'm acquainted with are the two at the bottom of this page. There's a choice between 12 gauge and 10 gauge. The 12 is lighter and more versatile for shotgunning in addition to waterfowl, while the 10 is heavy enough it would be pretty dedicated for waterfowl.

If you decide on a rifle kit instead, my favorite for ease of building and for results is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 54 caliber. It's available in 50 caliber too at that site if you nose around a little. If the pistol idea is still kicking around in the back of your mind, they also sell the Lyman Great Plains Pistol in kit form. Heck, you could buy the rifle kit and the pistol kit both (a nice combo, BTW) for quite a bit less than either shotgun kit will cost.

Lots to choose from, and your husband is a lucky guy, both for his choice of a wife and his wife's good intentions!

Thank you shearej and BrownBear for your responses. He has a shotgun already but I wanted to get him something he could build and use on a regular bases. We're military folk and I was hoping for something he could hunt with in AK or our next duty station. Can you use the rifle kit to hunt any game?

Ah yes, the Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit. Not sure how I forgot about that one. Not sure I've known anyone who owned a Lyman Rifle and was unhappy with it, they're very nice guns at a good price. He can use the rifle to hunt moose, caribou, black bear, etc. Not sure I'd recommend he go chasing brown bear with one. There are a couple muzzleloader-only hunts in Alaska where you have to draw a tag. But nothing is stopping him from using a muzzleloader during a general hunt as long as there are no weapons restrictions associated with that hunt / unit. A .54 caliber would serve him well in AK and in other states if he wanted to hunt deer, elk, etc.

Thank you shearej. Now my question is what is the difference between percussion and flintlock? Is one better than the other?

Grnis, my choice between the two would be the percussion rifle and pistol. The flintlock is older style and in my opinion would cause more problems than the percussion. Good luck.

The difference between percussion and flintlock is the ignition design in how the main charge of powder is ignited. Percussion using a small cap that fit overs a nipple, a cocked hammer hits the cap and ignites the main powder charge (just like the primer on any modern rifle bullet or shotshell). Flintlock uses a piece of flint or similar stone attached to a hammer, the hammer drops hitting a piece of steel which ignites a small priming charge and then the main charge. From a mechanics standpoint, percussions are more simple. If you know you'll be hunting in lots of wet weather, it's probably a better bet to go with a percussion as you can protect them a bit better from moisture. However, plenty of folks use flintlocks in wet weather and do just fine. I personally own a flintlock and love it. I don't feel it puts me at a disadvantage over those using a percussion but admittedly I haven't used it for hunting in Alaska, yet....

BrownBear has flintlocks and percussions, shoots them a lot and lives on wet ol' Kodiak Island. I'd go with his advice over the reliability of one over the other.

if you want a quality 'kit' (there is a small amount of metal work required, though nothing most home hobbiest cant complete with minimal tools). Look up Chambers Flintlocks.

flinters do well in rain with precautions taken. My bro is an avid flinter and does quite well in inclement weather.

I'm in the process of building a pair of Jims 10ga fowlers. the quality of the gear is better then what I've seen so far on the market. (track of the wolf is 45mn from my home town ) The folwer I'm working on is going to be mine and my old mans first flinters. We're both percussion guys.

Well its official - I'll buy the Lyman GP .54 Perc Rifle Muzzleloader Kit. I'm looking at Buffalo Arms Co in Ponderay, ID to purchase it. Anyone every use them? And from what I can gather, this will need to be shipped directly to a firearm dealer. All of your responses have been awesome! Thank you for all of your help and I will post a follow-up after I give him his gift. Our anniversary is Aug 15th. I can't wait!

Congrats on the decision, you'll both be happy with it! As for shipping, I'm pretty sure muzzleloaders can be shipped directly from the seller to the buyer without going through someone with an FFL. I did it a couple years ago, unless something has changed since then.

Jeff

Muzzleloaders do not need to be processed thru a FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by grnis View Post
    Well its official - I'll buy the Lyman GP .54 Perc Rifle Muzzleloader Kit. I'm looking at Buffalo Arms Co in Ponderay, ID to purchase it. Anyone every use them? And from what I can gather, this will need to be shipped directly to a firearm dealer. All of your responses have been awesome! Thank you for all of your help and I will post a follow-up after I give him his gift. Our anniversary is Aug 15th. I can't wait!
    You made a great choice! Lyman products are second to none and that particular gun will be perfect for any black powder hunting situation on this continent!

After he gets it send him back to this forum if he needs any advice in regards to anything. There are some good folk on this forum who are willing and able to get him going in the right direction!

Ya'll were right, didn't need a FFL. Only bad part is they had to snail mail it to AK but hopefully I will get it at the end of next week. This forum and website is great. Now that we are starting to do more stuff - hiking, fishing, etc - this will be the first place I look for guidance.

grnis
    Buffalo Arms are so great folks to deal with, buy with confidence, and they can ship direct to your door.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott in AK; 08-05-2010 at 12:36. Reason: fat fingers
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

Thanks Scott for your comment on Buffalo Arms. When I called they were very knowledgeable and professional. I received the kit about 2 weeks ago and have been dying to give it to my husband. Sunday is our anniversary and I figured today would be close of enough. I gave him the kit this afternoon and he loved it! So thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. And as elmerkeithclone suggested, I referred him to this forum for advice.