Thread: lions head anyone?

Default lions head anyone?

anyone interested in floating the mat? anytime monday-wednesday next week, room on my 14' cat, or bring your own raft/kayak. overnight/glacier hiking possible if in the mood.

If you want to do a morning run on Tuesday, I may be able to pull it off. I have to pick my kids up from daycare in Eagle River by 4:30. I'll be rowing my 13' cat, and I will have have truck/trailer to help out with the shuttle. Let me know if you're interested. Hopefully, the water will come up a little bit.

Josh

yeah, tuesday could work, im going to try to have a game plan nailed down by saturday morning, thats when ill be leaving homer, so ill post again tomorrow. steve

Well was looking at giving it a try, 2nd year on 13'FishCat, I have done the Kenai a few times. Not sure of what to expect or difficulty factor. Have a truck to haul in the back no trailer. Would and could go easy enough any time next week.

sounds like a float. i think im going to get up there monday and camp, put in tuesday, and still possibly spend a night on the river.
    pirhana,the mat is definitely a step up from the kenai. since i dont know what you know, i cant say go/no go. the levels are running a bit low, so theres that, and there will be support craft if needed.

****, sorry guys, some unexpected work (four letter word) stuff came up, and i have to bag this week. thanks for the response, maybe next time. i always look forward to meeting other local river folk. steve

No worries Steve. I live in Eagle River and have Tuesdays and weekends off to go boating. If you're in the neighborhood, and want to get after it, give me a holla.

Pirahna, Lions Head is a pretty big step up from the Kenai (not saying you couldn't do it). During Memorial Day weekend the river hit it's peak for the season so far: we ran it on consecutive nights, with the second night being around 4' (it starts to get pretty punchy at this level). Anyways, we had a dude, with limited big water experience, in a boat similar to yours, go for a couple swims-one of them was pretty gnarly. So, that kind of stuff happens. With that said, I've never been on it under 3.5, so
    it might be more friendly at a lower level. You might want to check out other sections of the Matanuska or Eagle River. If you want to check out lower Eagle River on Tuesday, let me know.

Josh

josh, i was just looking at the gauge for eagle, but i don't know what the numbers mean. just curious, what is high flow for that run?

Steve, not that any of this should come into play, nor am I any kind of expert for determining the flow of Eagle River, but from my perspective in a 13'cat/16' raft and having grown up on the river (running it since high school in the early 90s), I'd say high water would be 4.8'+; I've ran it around 6', and it's really crankin'! Between 4-4.8 it is still a fun rafting level. Below 4' I can get around in my cat, but it is not nearly as fun. I think the higher the water, the easier yet more dangerous it becomes. It is a quick run through campground, and a little longer going on to base. Proximity to Pizza Man and a 32oz schooner is a bonus. By the way, here is the link to gauge:
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Josh

cool, thanks for the analysis.