Thread: Rain Gear Bibs or Pants

Default Rain Gear Bibs or Pants

I have purchased the Lacrosse Hippers for my upcoming moose hunt this fall unit 17. I have also decided to get the helly hansen impertech. What combination do I need. BIBS/JACKET/GUIDE COAT/PANTS. I was thinking that with the guide coat it would go down below my hippers and that is all I would need, but I'm not sure. I also have a set of waterproof pants that i could wear under my hippers to keep my but dry.
    Thanks Tony

I would go w/ the guide coat and the hippers. I have a set of the bibs and have only worn them a few times in 3 years. Personally I just wear regular hunting boots or muck boots and a breathable rain jacket with a set of mountaineering pants. They get wet and I keep hunting at the end of the day I set next to the fire for a few minutes and they are dry again. I don't mind getting my legs wet at all, just part of hunting.

I think the hippers will work fine. In my line of work guiding full time getting wet can cost you. I live/work in a pretty wet area and hunting remote areas in tents it can make for a misreable hunt or much worse... like hypothermia (I had it once due to poor raingear.... no fun) IMO the best raingear made for what I do is the Pioneer bibs/jacket. My current set is 8 years old.

You will want to wear your bibs over your Hip Boots. Other wise the water will run down your pants and get the inside of your boots wet. HH Impertecs have a zipper on the lower leg.

I go with the comfort of Bibs.

I Would still get the bib-high-rainpants also.
    Not only will they work as rainpants, but also as will keep you from smelling like a moose or a bear during the skinning and fleshing process.

Remember that after the death, you will lose a hunt-day while you process the cape or shin for the tannery. It will be easier to stand yourself while in your sleeping bag if you smell like yourself, as compared to smelling like a decomposing moose or bear.

Bring a raingear patch kit or some duct tape. When I can afford the weight, I like skinning while wearing those heavy duty Grudens rubber rain suits, but I usually end up wearing the helly hansen. The HH pants or bibs will fit over your hip boots during those hurricane-type-storms out in western Alaska and/or on the Alaska Peninsula.

HH used to make a longer version, a "waterfowlers length", of their current waist-length-coat. Although currently discontinued, that old almost-knee-length version was great to wear with hip boots....wish HH would bring it back into production

Dennis

I go with a very thin pair of chest waders that way i no i will be dry and can wade across most everything out there without the worry of getting wet and after the kill and clean up i soap them down and spray them off and good to go after that